The Corroboree
altenate

Mushroom guidebooks

What in most peoples experience is the best, most applicable,most comprhensive & understandable to Aust

Mushroom ID guide book? esp NSW

Thanks for any info

I use a couple of books mostly. "A Field Guide to Australian Fungi", by Bruce Fuhrer is a good, mostly pictorial guide applicable to the fungi we find here.

Another excellent book which is very helpful at familiarising yourself with identifying characteristics of the various genera is the book "How to Identify Mushroom to Genus I: Macroscopic Features". The taxonomy in it is a little outdated, but it's a very good book. Another one in the series has updated taxonomic info, "How to Identify Mushroom to Genus VI: Modern Genera".

I've also got "Mushrooms Demystified", by David Arora. I've not yet had the opportunity to use it, as only got it since coming back from India. It is supposedly the bible in terms of mushrooms field guides.

I second Tripsis' call for Fuhrer's book. It's really useful.

I also have the British "Mushrooms" by Roger Phillips (Macmillan, 2006). The photography is extremely detailed and great for IDing various fungi. It's quite exhaustive too. Europe-centric but plenty of Australian species in there too.

I third Fuhrer's book. Its really good. both the field guide and the field companion are excellent.

"Mushrooms" by Roger Phillips (Macmillan, 2006) is a great book, i purchased it last year and i love it, and i have found it helpful in identifying species, but it is written with europe in mind.

"How to Identify Mushroom to Genus VI: Modern Genera" is good too, but perhaps more for the dedicated mycologist. As is Arora's "Mushrooms Demystified".

but all up for general use within australia with good pics, you cant go past Fuhrer.

Cheers, Obtuse.