The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Lagochilus seedlings

This seed was sold as Lagochilus inebrians, but I already know it is definitely not this species. It is the same species that is widely sold as the herb. It is also not L.cabulicus.

I am sure we will work out one day what it is, but for the moment we will just grow it :)

It should teach us plenty about L.inebrians.

normal_IMG_2633.jpg

there's a gallery linked from the nav bar on the main page. then simply embed them with image tags.

I tried doing it last night and got the pic uploaded finally but then my connection started getting wonkey so I gave up until today. This is a pic of my lago seedling. It was taken close to a week ago and the seedling is larger now. I'll post an update before too long.

Stoney

normal_lago2.jpg

they are very fast growers!

Yours seems to have a bit of fluff on it which is a prerequisite for L.i.

this seed was fresh and did not need stratification. some older seed is being stratified right now as germination was 0% after 6 weeks.

wow finally some locals with lagochilus! where did you get hold of these. I love growing shamanic plants and this would be great for my collection! Can anyone actually get hold of l.inebriens? Ive made a few orders from shamn australis and its great, all the seeds have germinated great!

I tried stratifying but got no better results than without it. I tried ga3 but none of them sprouted. I used 1000 ppm soln. There is very noticable fuzz on the plant, mostly on the undersides of leaves and stems. Mine is growing nicely. I planted the seed Jan-14 and now it has several sets of true leaves. I will post an updated photo today or tomorrow.

Stoney

if you have several sets of leaves then this might be the only time they can be propagated from cuttings!!

mushroomarty - the real L.i. is a highly endangered plant and we will not be stocking seeds or herb of this as it is unethical. Most of the advertised L.i. is in fact one of 2 or 3 related species that are sold commercially. This seed is from one of those other species. I believe someone else in this community is putting a lot of effort into this group of species so SAB will not put much energy into it. We are more interested in the conservation of the real L.i. and will be making an effort there.

I've been trying to talk to him about that, but can't seem to get a reply.

I believe it is supposed to beL.i., but my analysis of it clearly indicates that it is not. L.inebrians has very distinctive "crystal fur" along the stems, which most of the commercial products do not have (incl friendly's). L.cabulicus does have some fur, but not enough.

I am working on a website that will compare the various species and products. We'll start with pics, then experience reports and eventually analyses.

Here is a pic I took today of my lago seedling. You can see the fuzz more clearly though the photo doesn't really do it justice.

Torsten, are you suggesting I take cuttings from it now? I certainly wouldn't think of it at this delicate stage. If "crystal fur" is the hallmark of inebrians, then my hopes have gone up that this is indeed l.i. I like that phrase, :) I will be attempting cuttings after it gets larger. At the rate it's going, it will be big enough for that, in my opinion, in another few months or so.

Stoney

normal_lago3.jpg

[ 17. February 2005, 17:25: Message edited by: Torsten ]

Originally posted by Stonehenge:

Torsten, are you suggesting I take cuttings from it now?

No, sorry. Somehow your description conjured up images of a much taller plant.

Rosette plants are almost impossible to take cuttings from. So far this looks like a rosette. When this rosette stretches to produce a flower spike you have sometimes a mere few days where sections of this stalk can be cut and rooted. Once it gets past a certain point it simply won't root and will continue to flower. Playing with light cycles may help this too. eg once a bit sturdier give it 10 hours light until it produces a bit of a stalk . then give it 24 and hope it goes back into vegetative phase.

If "crystal fur" is the hallmark of inebrians, then my hopes have gone up that this is indeed l.i. I like that phrase, :)

Fur is usually soft, but this stuff isn't. Crystal fur makes sense.

The only thing I know about crystal fur is that inebrians has it. I do not know how many other species have it as well, but cabulicus seems to have at least some. For all I know maybe most species have fur. But if it is furless it is certainly not L.inebrians.

Link wasn't to a pic, but to a page. I fixed it.

I'd be happy to be wrong about the rosette thing. I don't remember where I got it from. Seriously, I am drawing a total blank. But I must have got it from somewhere cos its not the sort of thing I would have even thought of without some good reason.

I'll try and remember.