The Corroboree
J Smith

Salvia sp. Yunnan province

In July 2009 I purchased a plant from the SAB store that was labelled as Salvia sp (Yunnan province/China).

It has gone gangbusters since then.

post-4739-127692884901_thumb.jpg

post-4739-127692888125_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else got this in their garden? Has anyone had any flowers? I haven't.

More importantly, is there anything else about this plant I should be interested in?

During summer I found it rooted well in a glass of water on a window sill, but since it has gotten colder it hasn't been so willing to throw roots. I'm now trying to root it with honey in soil.

it easily layers into mulch and a clump can also be divided after a year or two. not invasive, but still vigorous.

propagation is probably best done in the warmer months.

The significance about this plant is that it was collected by a botany research team some eyars ago in Yunnan and was unnamed at the time. New plants are always exciting ;)

Many salvias bare some properties, some stim [thujone, like S.officinalis] and some sedative [like S.coccinea, S.superba].

Lots of salvias are used for tea and are regarded medicinal.

Are you interested in trading some, i dont have much to offer though sorry, a few different seeds

So the two cuttings I tried to root (one with honey, one with rooting powder) ending up rooting over winter outside in a cupboard sized greenhouse. I simply stuck em in a small pot with dirt and covered each one with half a 600ml plastic cola bottle. In addition to rooting in the usual way, roots were descending from most points above the soil line.

This is one vigorous so and so.

Nice looking purplish growth on it now too.

I'll probably offer some cuttings up on the seed/plant exchange in a couple of weeks for those interested.

It's about time some reports were posted on that other salvia that north-westen american indians smoke - and I don't mean white sage!. By the way, there's still outstanding to be replicated an extract from Salvia Greggii, from once I had a quite cocaine reaction. I hope someone will extract a batch of this soon, even if only to prove a negative.

LOVE

THL

id like to see some extractions done on salvia splendens. reports up north suggested that 20x extracts where very bizzare.