The Corroboree
mushroomman

Papaver somniferum seeds

hi ,i was just looking at Papaver somniferum Seeds (australian black food grade) 600g on the SAB store and wanted to know if they will grow or if they are only good for cooking?

thanks in advance.

Seeds packets from SAB will grow

Food grade will not.

Only get around 30 seeds in the seed packets

Poppies out of woolworths or coles will sprout, hoyts brand they are papaver somniferum not sure what strain or anything

Poppies out of woolworths or coles will sprout, hoyts brand they are papaver somniferum not sure what strain or anything

cool, thanks mate, is there any way to tell papaver somnifereum apart from other papaver species ? i was given a heap of papaver seeds but im not sure if they are somniferum

Im not sure sorry, ive never seen any papaver seeds apart from somniferum, might have to wait till they sprout and see it they have blueing on the actual plant

You can also try peony flowered poppies.

If you import them make sure the seed merchant does not use the word "somniflorum"

They are often sold (mostly hugely overpriced) on ebay.

Then there is the Californian poppy and wild lettuce which contain small amounts of the popular alkaloid.

Getting addicted to it takes serious determined work and usually a syringe.

Australian opium is processed, interestingly, from the pulverised poppy stems. The processing factory is in Victoria (not Tas.) but its location is obscure.

Most food grade poppy seeds here in the north (hemisphere) will sprout. They don't seem viable indefinitely though, so if it has been on your spice rack for a couple years, don't be shocked if it is just tasty condiment. I'm not aware of any poppy seed in the food trade other than P. somniferum, as I believe it is the only poppy grown on a commercial scale. P. rhoeas, orientale, and argemone are common in landscaping / gardening, but they simply are not grown on the scale that makes P. somniferum cheap as a condiment.

ok, but i remeber that often it got mentioned that the high thebain strains cultivated in tas ought to be avoided. this is because they have been specialy bred to facilitate codein production,

but consuming thebain is not so good...

i think, if you smoke the resin, than it doesn't make much of a difference...

anyway would be good to know if the seeds of the high thebain strains get sold for cooking.

ok, but i remeber that often it got mentioned that the high thebain strains cultivated in tas ought to be avoided. this is because they have been specialy bred to facilitate codein production,

but consuming thebain is not so good...

i think, if you smoke the resin, than it doesn't make much of a difference...

anyway would be good to know if the seeds of the high thebain strains get sold for cooking.

well swim has a freind who has a Tas poppy feild over their back fence if swim wanted to make some smokable opium would they be worth getting a few heads :) or what cause of Thebain can u tell the diference between thebain and non thebain poppys i have read somewhere that around 60 percent of tasmanian poppies are thebain an 40 percent are high concentrate opium containing ones just wonderign if there is a visable difference

Somniferum poppies aren't hairy like oriental poppies are. Good way to tell.

LOL, godamn thebaine.

If you were somewhere other than Australia and able to grow the seeds (legally) then just using seeds from the supermarket will give you Taz paps. As has been discussed here before and im sure many other sites it is unlikely that the thebaine producing strain makes it into the spice section of the supermarket for obvious reasons, and no, its not because it could make you ill lol.

cant beat taz.

Edited by PD.

so that means, they waste all the seeds of the high thebaine strains?

aswell, i think that some poppy seeds get sold in oz which don't come from taz, like at ethnic green grocers....

I've noticed in the local pet shop, bulk bags of poppy seed for canary food, anyone know if is Papavar somniferum? hen and chicken?

so that means, they waste all the seeds of the high thebaine strains?

aswell, i think that some poppy seeds get sold in oz which don't come from taz, like at ethnic green grocers....

Apparently they know well which farmers are growing which strains and act accordingly. I have heard also that the farmers arent told which type they are growing although im not sure how true that is, seems likely though considering they want to keep the thebaine genetics to themselves.

Yep in some stores it would be possible to find imported seed but if i was so inclined i wouldnt bother growing anything other than taz, is a shame to waste a season to poor quality.

This year i obtained two varieties of somniferum with distinct coloured flowers and noticeable quality. I know the source of the seed and know that next year i'll be advising my friend to only grow the local variety :wink:

The difference in tas and other varieties is laughable.

cheers