#201 DeadStar

Senior Psychonaut

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:gardening, photography, cooking n stuff
  • Climate or location:Melbournish

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:45 PM

you cannnot transplant acacia plants beyond a certain age.  it will mean certain death for your plant im afraid.

Not trying to be a dick or anything but this is not entirely true.

Ive never tried this with phleb but most acacia's can be transplanted or repotted year after year. You just need to get the timing right.

You have to wait until the the first flush of growth for the season has matured but before the buds burst for the second flush of growth.

Between these two flushes of growth most natives go into a semi dormant state. They do this to combat australias hot summers and drought conditions.

A mentor is just an old man who hasn't tried to kiss you yet. JS

#202 Sally

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • Climate or location:Temperate

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

I think Ob was referring to mainly established trees in the ground.  In Zeds case, if it was planted in the ground for 4 or 5 years and then dug up I wouldn't like it's chances of survival.

If they are planted in a tree bag (sometimes they're sold as root control bags) to confine the roots and then planted in the soil you might get a bit better mileage if you want to dig it up & move it, if you do it when they are dormant as DS suggested and you take care to orient the tree the same way in its new position.

Tree bags in the ground can be a problem though if you use a soil mix that has a different drainage profile to the surrounding soil. If the mix is better aerated and more free draining (like a typical potting mix) the bag can dry out when the water table drops and if it's the same soil as the site it can intermittently hold too much water because of drainage issues.

Edited by Sally, 24 November 2015 - 08:14 AM.

• DeadStar likes this

It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks

It's Alpa and Omega's kingdom come

#203 zed240

King Bolete

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Climate or location:SA

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

So are phlebophylla self fertile? I've looked but not found the answer yet....

I think if they are I will put it in the ground here as it should have seeds before it possibly gets disturbed.

My trade rep thread - http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=38965

Trichocereus & Lophophora Australia - https://www.facebook...phoraaustralia/