The Corroboree
kindness

Raising A.Phlebophylla

Here's my Pleb growing in my greenhouse. It has tripled in size in the past year since repotting. I got the plant from a member here so I can't take any credit for raising it from seed.

I have some seeds so I think I will give them a go. Will take bacteria from this healthy plant pot soil and innoculate seeds once they have been hot water treated. Will post results and hopefully will help solve the mystery of growing these sacred trees. Peace to all :)

post-13432-0-58642000-1433664049_thumb.j

post-13432-0-58642000-1433664049_thumb.jpg

post-13432-0-58642000-1433664049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sulik114
  • Like 11

Loving the cooler climate atm. First fatties to come thru

post-13197-0-57192000-1434328705_thumb.jpg

post-13197-0-57192000-1434328705_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Potted up some of the Phleb troop. Placed a couple outside with the confusa's, acuminate's etc

post-13197-0-45735400-1443834775_thumb.j

post-13197-0-53502700-1443834801_thumb.j

post-13197-0-45735400-1443834775_thumb.jpg

post-13197-0-53502700-1443834801_thumb.jpg

post-13197-0-45735400-1443834775_thumb.jpg

post-13197-0-53502700-1443834801_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Love it, love it, love it. Congratulations!

I lost both mine late into winter at +5 years. They were doing so well, then started the usual top-down dying thing. Fought back a bit with branches coming up from the lower stem but these too succumbed

If they're in cultivation anywhere else I'm just as happy as if they were mine :D

• Like 1

Would these grow alright in 9A? I have a very small greenhouse, if necessary. Always interested in learning to grow new plants.

Edited by Derkshaman

My Phleb after 2 years, as tall as me now, really loves theTassie climate.

I did not raise the tree from seed but won it at an auction here on corriboree.

Anyone got any seeds they would part with for trialling some grow logs.

post-13432-0-75482500-1448190154_thumb.p

post-13432-0-09076600-1448190173_thumb.p

post-13432-0-75482500-1448190154_thumb.png

post-13432-0-09076600-1448190173_thumb.png

post-13432-0-75482500-1448190154_thumb.png

post-13432-0-09076600-1448190173_thumb.png

• Like 4

^ nice

Is that still in a pot ?

Some people have found they kick the bucket if kept in a pot long term - around 4-5 years. I'd be scoping a place to plant it out soon if it is still in a pot.

• Like 2

I have an A. phlebophylla that's probably about 45cm tall at the moment. It's in a 20cm pot.

I am thinking about finding a suitable spot in the ground for it and one place I have in mind gets full sun between about 9am and 4pm in summer, (less in winter). Do you guys think that it may go alright there with the proper soil set up? Or do I preferably need a place with full sun all day for it to have the best chance?

And as a slight aside, in about 4 or 5 years I may be bulldozing my house and unfortunately my garden too, if my phleb survives until then could I look at uprooting and transplanting it, or is that a sure death sentence for it?

you cannnot transplant acacia plants beyond a certain age. it will mean certain death for your plant im afraid.

you cannnot transplant acacia plants beyond a certain age. it will mean certain death for your plant im afraid.

Well that's shit. :BANGHEAD2: I did think that would be the case though. I am aware that many natives don't like to be transplanted. :angry:

My only other option is to plant it out at one of my parent's place and then I'll only get to visit it every now and then. Maybe I'll just plant it at my place anyway and grow some more from seed to plant out at my folks place..... Maybe if I put it close to the fence line it may be able to be left alone when my house gets knocked down.....

Put It on the nature strip?? ?

Put It on the nature strip?? ?

Yeah, I could I suppose, there is no concrete/paved path out the side of my place. Can't say I really want to put it out there though. It would have to be very close to 2 silky oaks, (Grevillea robusta), that are out there already. And of course able to be messed with by the general public. I do live about 2 streets away from a large school and have kids walking past each day, I would be a little afraid some of them might like to mess with a newly planted tree out there. :scratchhead:

My Phleb after 2 years, as tall as me now, really loves theTassie climate.

I did not raise the tree from seed but won it at an auction here on corriboree.

Anyone got any seeds they would part with for trialling some grow logs.

Nice work sulik. Good to see you back too, was wondering where ya got to.

• Like 1

planting out trees is a dilemma.

i guess consider the habitat these trees like and which of the options proves the best location.

if your parents gets a better set of extremes then that may be more suitable. i.e. a decent swing between cold and hot, remember these are alpine acacias.

if you plant it somewhere like a nature strip that you have no legal entitlement over then if the council decides to do something with it, then the tree is lost.

i planted mine at my parents property knowing that they will be there for a while.

• Like 3

^ nice

Is that still in a pot ?

Some people have found they kick the bucket if kept in a pot long term - around 4-5 years. I'd be scoping a place to plant it out soon if it is still in a pot.

Hi Sally, yes it is in a small pot, but loving the medium.

Its touching the top of my greenhouse so I got to plant it out. I'm looking after my mum so don't really want to plant it here. I think I have a great spot ata mates place who lives in a snowline during winter. Might like it there. Mmmm this is a good idea. Thanks for prompting my my brain cells into action :)

Nice work sulik. Good to see you back too, was wondering where ya got to.

Hi Cubism, yes its been a while since I was here. Busy with life in general and still looking after mum. Grown some great exotic shrooms. I'll have to send you some pics you'll be amazed. Hope you are well man.

Not trying to be a dick or anything but this is not entirely true.

Ive never tried this with phleb but most acacia's can be transplanted or repotted year after year. You just need to get the timing right.

You have to wait until the the first flush of growth for the season has matured but before the buds burst for the second flush of growth.

Between these two flushes of growth most natives go into a semi dormant state. They do this to combat australias hot summers and drought conditions.

• Like 1

I think Ob was referring to mainly established trees in the ground. In Zeds case, if it was planted in the ground for 4 or 5 years and then dug up I wouldn't like it's chances of survival.

If they are planted in a tree bag (sometimes they're sold as root control bags) to confine the roots and then planted in the soil you might get a bit better mileage if you want to dig it up & move it, if you do it when they are dormant as DS suggested and you take care to orient the tree the same way in its new position.

Tree bags in the ground can be a problem though if you use a soil mix that has a different drainage profile to the surrounding soil. If the mix is better aerated and more free draining (like a typical potting mix) the bag can dry out when the water table drops and if it's the same soil as the site it can intermittently hold too much water because of drainage issues.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 2

So are phlebophylla self fertile? I've looked but not found the answer yet....

I think if they are I will put it in the ground here as it should have seeds before it possibly gets disturbed.

So, my plant has started to look sad. Any help would be appreciated and since this thread is all about raising phlebophylla I thought this was a very suitable place to ask, as others could learn from my experience also.

It has appeared to be pretty happy at my place until the last week or so. Now it has phyllodes starting to brown and it has appear to get worse over the last few days with phyllodes getting browner further up the trunk.

I water it with rainwater almost every day, (every day when hot), and gave it a little sprinkle of osmocote native fertilizer shortly after getting it about 3-4 months ago.

We have just gone through 4 days of 40 degree weather and over that time even with water he has started to look a little sad. So any ideas as to whether you think this is "normal" heat stress or is there something else that I need to do for him? Does he need to be re-potted or something like that? It gets full sun between about 8am and 4pm at the moment, outside of those times it is shaded.

post-13830-0-46928400-1450750619_thumb.j post-13830-0-55972300-1450750620_thumb.j

Any if anyone can shed some light on phleb's self sterility or fertility when it comes to setting seed I would appreciate it as I am no more educated on that as I was when I asked the question in the post above this one.

If I can't find any answers in the next few days this sucker is going to go in the ground and future consequences be damned.

post-13830-0-46928400-1450750619_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-55972300-1450750620_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-46928400-1450750619_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-55972300-1450750620_thumb.jpg

Edited by zed240
  • Like 1