CβL

Carbon Being

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Plants/Nature, Music, Hiking, Maths, Everything
  • Climate or location:New Zealand

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

The last time I germinated Acacias, I actually let them sit in water for up to a week (some I left in for maybe a month - until they had started sending out their taproot :P ), and I repeated the hot water treatment up to 3 times for seeds that didn't swell (but the second and third time, I left a few mills of water in the jar to buffer the heat change a bit) - I think I got close to 100% germination from the seeds that ended up swelling, and only a few floaters that I chucked away.

I think I'll do a fair sanding of the seeds (until the shininess is gone, and I can tell the seedcoat is wearing thin), and then I'll use just water of maybe 60-70 degrees - that shouldn't kill the seeds I think. I think that they might like the heat itself though. Maybe I'll try half with cold water and see how they compare to hot (not that I have enough seeds to make much of a test). :P

• Undoralorbalo likes this

#102 CβL

CβL

Carbon Being

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Plants/Nature, Music, Hiking, Maths, Everything
  • Climate or location:New Zealand

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Okay, update:

Went today and dug some soil from the Acacias. I didn't really pay attention before, but it seems that all the trees on that part of the hillside are Acacia melanoxylons. I selected a few trees that looked healthy, and dug up some soil. There was that funny onion smell (the rhizobia?), and I saw some little nodules. I got half a bucket worth, and sifted it through a very coarse strainer to get the root chunks out. Then I stirred it a lot, and wet it to get the clay parts to dissolve. I made my soil mixtures more or less as I intended, but included some vermiculite too. I put the mixtures into their little pots. The seed-raising mixture that I included as part of some of the mixes apparently contained a fungicide - I didn't have anything else to substitute it with, so just put it in anyway. I'll just have to make some "soil tea" and innoculate at regular intervals at a later date in case this fungicide is strong enough to wreck the rhizobia.

Then I got the seeds out, and labelled some glass containers with the names. I decided I wouldn't risk scarification, as I'd had only success in the past with hot-water, and I didn't want to try a new technique this time. I've since put the hot water onto the seeds, and am waiting overnight for any swelled seeds to get planted. I might nick the seedcoat of the swelled seeds if it seems easy to do so.

#103 ferret

ferret

Plant Head

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Climate or location:melbourne

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Pretty happy with how this 3.5 year old is going. Really wish I had've germinated more seed at the time! 

Germinated in native potting mix with a bit of propagating sand added, repotted thrice into straight commercial native potting mix. Was getting rather rootbound in its last pot, since repotting it has pumped out a shitload of new phyllodes.

Attached Files

• tarenna, cheshire, interbeing and 4 others like this
would anyone tell me if I were getting stupider?

#104 gerbil

gerbil

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Climate or location:Vic Cool NE dry forest

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Really nice ferret, what a beauty. Mine are liking the bagged native mixes too, mixing up some sieved sands, coir and innoculants as well to see what does what. Sun scorched them really bad the other day, no longer blemish free hah :D but tough buggers.

Missed your big ones too interbeing and obtuse, looking really nice guys.

• cheshire, interbeing and ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ like this

#105 kindness

kindness

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, fishing, camping, hiking, plants that heal and ones that taste good
  • Climate or location:cool temperate

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

That is just a fantastic looking plant there ferret. So healthy and happy looking. Awesome work.

I used to be called Meanies...

http://www.tomgreen.com/splash.html

http://www.maps.org/home/ - PTSD, Alcohol abuse, anxiety, opiate addiction treated with psychedelics.

#106 obtuse

obtuse

just curious

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Climate or location:van diemens land

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Well done ferret, nice to see how healthy it is, and interesting to hear you have repotted it.

Nice to see you online Gerbil.

I missed you both when i was in melbourne recently, would have been nice to catch up, but i should have made the effort to contact you.  though you might be at the meet :D

#107 cheshire

cheshire

evileyes

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Climate or location:temper

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

These three are all the same age ~ 10 months - i will check their actual age from the thread where i posted the original photos..

The smallest had no love, planted in crud/no name brand potting mix - it's growth stalled after about 1 month.

The phleb the second had half sand washed and 50:50 Yates/Searles propagation mix.

The thirdthe phleb has had an all premium searles propagating mix to live in and was sprouted in paper towel a good 2-3 weeks after the other two slow coaches.

i might sing some love songs to the first two the phlebs and re-pot them in a better mix while we still have some warm days.

Attached File  phleb family.jpg   106.34KB   9 downloadsAttached File  phleb1.jpg   219.71KB   10 downloadsAttached File  phleb2.jpg   205.34KB   14 downloadsAttached File  phleb3.jpg   153.83KB   14 downloads apologies for spelling and my photography. Atleast , there's 3 still going.

• interbeing, Sally, waterboy and 1 other like this

#108 LokStok

LokStok

Land-based mammal

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Climate or location:dry temperate wa

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

ethy it looks like the soil mix for the first two probably has no root-nodule forming nitrogen bacteria

present (just guessing).

When you repot em it would be worth adding some fresh soil from around the

roots of a big healthy acacia thats in the ground.

A Ph test may also give some answers to why they stalled.

*edit-  number 3 looks awesome!

Edited by LokStok, 13 March 2013 - 09:01 PM.

• cheshire likes this

#109 Shroomeup

Shroomeup

Senior Psychonaut

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Climate or location:melbourne

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

These were grown from the seed from folias. Seedlings are just on three months old.
I got 8 out of 10 to germinate by giving them a filing and putting in 75° water to soak overnight. Then I planted in some granity soil I scavanged from a recently turned over logging area which had tons of healthy little acacias popping up.

Attached File  20130613_161823-1.jpg   81.14KB   24 downloads
  • cheshire, interbeing, Change and 4 others like this

#110 bogfrog

bogfrog

ghost cat

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • Climate or location:Coastal NZ zone8

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

^
Lookin good!

I have some seed to sow, but I get nervous everytime I think about sowing them!

The plan was to wait until spring, as my climate is a bit harsh during winter (zone 8 - Illustro has informed me)
Would it be stupid to try and start them now indoors and move them into the greenhouse in spring?
Or should I wait my patience?
  • ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ likes this

#111 obtuse

obtuse

just curious

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

I would wait for spring.  but you could do it now.

Strange as it seems, i have always had bad luck growing acacis in greenhouses.  they seem to die quickly.

Grow them outside, they are very hardy, and its good way to let natural survival of the fittest happen.  I know people dont want their plants to die, but i would think you would get more die trying to harden them off to the natural environment after being protected in a greenhouse.

Cheer.

• waterboy and ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ like this

#112 bogfrog

bogfrog

ghost cat

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • Climate or location:Coastal NZ zone8

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Sweet as, cheers for the reply.
Perhaps the cold might even be helpful to my cause, as I remember reading they could handle down to -10!

Thanks again

#113 interbeing

interbeing

Senior Citizen

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Cacti cultivation!
  • Climate or location:Northern Rivers NSW

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

My phleb has just begun flowering :)

Attached File  DSC09095.jpg   185.77KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC09097.jpg   163.65KB   0 downloads

• tarenna, Shroomeup, cheshire and 8 others like this

My trading reputation- http://www.shaman-au...topic=29520&hl=

“It's just a ride.” 

#114 obtuse

obtuse

just curious

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Awesome Interbeing, nice!

I should go check mine see how they are doing.  I dont think mine are old enough to start flowering though.

• interbeing likes this

#115 obtuse

obtuse

just curious

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Went and checked my Phlebs this morning.  no evidence of flowering yet, still too young, but lots of new growth.  looks like they are going to power this year.

hopefully i'll start getting flowers next year :D

#116 obtuse

obtuse

just curious

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Wow so many Phleb grow logs of late .. not sure where to post this.

Anyway, Given i had a little free time lately (rare i know)  thought id better get on to growing some seedlings, and try an experiment.

Anyway, got onto growing some Phleb seeds.  It's been about four weeks since germination, this time around i got 100% germination, and so far none have died off:

Attached File  100_6694.JPG   281.94KB   0 downloads

Attached File  100_6695.JPG   274.1KB   0 downloads

Will see how they go.  These are  four of the better plants so far.

Will post updates as i go.

• cheshire and ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ like this

#117 Monk

Monk

Doin' the things

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:cultivation of myself and others
  • Climate or location:PNW-USDA zone 8

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

I received 10 phleb seeds a couple years ago, but didn't have the balls to sow them. At this point, I've been playing with TC for a couple of years so put a few in agar. Clearly, they don't like synthetic fert salts so I'm working on some processes to mitigate their sensitivity, but haven't worked things out well enough to post them. One out of 6 is off and running with signs of life from a couple others. Hot water treatment got them swollen, but they would not pop so I cut their coats off with a scalpel. Here's the best one a couple days ago:Attached File  image.jpg   66.62KB   0 downloads

Edited by Monk, 14 March 2014 - 01:57 AM.

It is what it is, you are what you it, and there are no mistakes.

Life like taking shit, just relax.-- lost teaching of Lao Tzu

#118 ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

⚕ Thunder Horse ⍾ Ninja ✰

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Location:Viltheed, Outer Shpongolia, Valle Pharquois Scopulicious, Werdermannianna, Taquimbo, Validacea
  • Interests:Magick💫 plants🌵 Mycology🍄 Nature🐱 Virtue🌏 Aquaria🐟 sustainable living🐸 family values💖 Quality of life🙆 Healing🎃
    Anthropology😸
  • Climate or location:zone 8 & 12+

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

Beautiful plant spun, the leaf is quite different to wild ones though isn't it..growing conditions..?

fkn RAWRZ !!! what an amazing plant , but also what an amazing photograph!

and has anybody tried grafting with Acacias? maybe it could be grafted to a more all rounder root stock a la malus species (apples) 

or am I chasing shadows?

Bliss wishes and happy growing! :wink:

Deseos bien aventurados y bendiciones las mas luminosas