The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
culebra22

some Iochroma

I just love these. also have some Dunalia spp which are very similar. just somewhat shorter flowers.

Seed-grown Iochroma cyaneum, about 5 or so months old from germination.

I like the brugmansioid leaves.

post-6218-12624070352_thumb.jpg

Iochroma spp. are easy to grow from cuttings also.

hopefully the "fuchsioides" I found proves to be as easy as cyaneum from seed, because I collected several ripe seed pods from it.

I. fuchsioides is used by curanderos- shamans in Colombia, and if I remember reading correctly many early depictions supposedly of Brugmansia sanguinea are actually of this species. It would seem to be the only Iochroma species with any real documented historial usage, although I would imagine other species would have a similar chemical makeup.

R. Schultes observed (discovered?) this plant in the Colombian town of San Pedro and recorded that the Kamsa Indians referred to this plant as borrachera/-andake - "intoxicant" and that it was used for cases of difficult diagnosis with the 'unpleasant side effects lasting several days'. It was added to ayahuasca.

other names are:arbol de campanilla, campanitas, guatillo, nacedero, paguando, tutujansushe and more.

Also as flor de quinde- hummingbird's flower, accordingly these birds are their pollinators.

I observed the Australian equivalent; honeyeaters feasting on them when these flower photos were taken.

Edited by culebra22

if you grow them in full shade they will get huge leaves. the difference between full shade and full sun can be as much as 500%.

haha yeah I've noticed that too.

accordingly that pot has been grown in a shady location. (moved for photo)

Abundant food and water also contribute to the large leaves.

I quite like this "huge leaf effect".

Ios seem rather prone to spider mite attack too...

hey has anyone assayed any of these? i think i read they contain tropanes like scopolamine.

Edited by culebra22

the ones we have in full sun in the ground actually go completely bare in late spring and early summer, which is our driest time of year. then the rains come and the elaves are huge.

you can chew a little bit of leaf against travel/motion sickness.

Here Io's in the ground often defoliate in late summer as a result of extreme heat, prolonged dry, burning sun and spider mites.

In Autumn when the rains come they recover nicely and flower abundantly.

In winter some defoliate again, this time in response to the cold. they come back to life in spring.

We had some rain recently so the plants in flower I posted pics of look healthy.

Cool, will try a few leaves for motion sickness (incidently I suffer from this fairly severely after long drives :puke: ).

Some Iochroma sp. have been found to also contain withanolides like those of Ashwagandha- Withania somnifera.

Another one I found, this is exceptionally attractive IMO

probably another clone of I.cyaneum/cyanea

post-6218-126259235261_thumb.jpg

comparison to the purple one:

post-6218-126259240343_thumb.jpg

it's blue!

I took a cutting hehe.

should grow the red one, purple and the blue in a line! that or alternate blue and red as a hedge

it'd be mad! B)

Edited by culebra22