The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
culebra22

brunfelsia

Brunfelsia is a genus in the Solanaceae.

Attractive shrubs, the common name is Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, a reference to the fact that the flowers open purple and turn white the next day.

Some species have historical uses by shamans in South America both medicinal and psychoactive; B.grandiflora is used as an additive to ayahuasca.

Fairly common in gardens in Australia, sometimes used as a scented accent hedge or feature plants.

The species used here is possibly B.latifolia, but I am not sure on the identification with regards to species level as many appear to be very similar. I have seen quite a bit of variation and different types around so differences in effects, potency etc. could be investigated.

Flowers on this one have a very pleasant scent but that is not unique.

tea:

5 x white flowers

2 x purple flowers

hot (not boiling) water

taken just before bed.

quite agreeable flavour.

effects: best sleep ever! very deep, uninterrupted.

I am a light sleeper and haven't slept that well in a long time.

The next morning I woke up feeling soo refreshed.

so its possibly depressant.

sleep did take a while to come though, and prior to this another effect was noticed starting shortly after ingestion; short-lived periodic tingling sensation of extremities.

I believe latifolia (and other Brunfelsias) analysed to discover coumarins like scopoletin as well as the normal tropane alkaloids but not calystegines.

Studies have indicated significant cytotoxicity from this plant. Tingling extremities could be a sign of this. Please be careful. I am assuming you are aware of the anticholinergic nature of orally ingested tropane alkaloids which could also be detrimental. If you notice any strangeness in your vision or diuresis please ingest electrolytes and choline supplement immediately.

Edited by apothecary

I have heard Brunfelsia may be one of the most safe of the Baneful plants.

It should be carefully investigated.

I have heard Brunfelsia may be one of the most safe of the Baneful plants.

Yes, I have heard this too.

Fortunately I haven't noticed any adverse affects yet.

Mind you 'most safe' in this statement is comparative so a lil respect/caution and care should be advised. also note the 'may'.

Accordingly they do not seem to be anything like Brugmansia/Datura, and many experimenters report subtle and mild experiences.

Here is a thread on Australian Ethnobotany forum about this topic:

brunfelsia flower tea

seems to have been explored a little bit... be sure to check out the second page, one correspondent reports tripping on it, interestingly with a smaller quantity than I used, although the species implemented in that case is unspecified.

Edited by culebra22

More Brunfelsia spp. information compilation archive from UTFSE's:

Old SAB thread on Brunfelsia

interestingly a poster in this reports "wake up next morning feeling refreshed" in agreement with my report.

however 4 litres (!) of boiled leaf infusion is used in this case and it results in a "drowsy drunken state".

another SAB thread

The Solanaceae as Drugs and Medicine

Wikipedia on Brunfelsia

Brunfelsia in ethnomedicine

^^mentions tingling sensation.

Entheology.org on Brunfelsia

I like the looks of the plant anyhow, the flowers are purtty and the scent wonderful.

Edited by culebra22

Mind you 'most safe' in this statement is comparative so a lil respect/caution and care should be advised. also note the 'may'.

Research like this on this topic is seriously needed (imho) ans seriously appreciated! :)

tantra did some research on Justicia pectoralis (I believe?) which also reported coumarins, since your assay indicates the involvement of non-alkaloid activity and there is no calystegines you might be (I might be!) interested in checking out this plant to see if there are similar effects?

Sorry to post after myself.

In the second thread that culebra linked I had provided a link to some bioassay info on scopoletin etc in the coumarins thread. That links is dead so I will include the updated link here for posterity.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2162

Edited by apothecary

Thanks for the coumarin link apothecary. :)

Brunfelsia uniflorus is listed as containing scopoletin, apparently psychoactive according to wiki and is also found in B.grandiflora. Also found reference to it being in B.hopeana. I assume it's probably in many if not all.

Accordingly supposed to be prevalent in the Solanaceae and is found in many other genera as the posted link shows.

Scopoletin also has some purported medicinal properties and health benefits, as evidenced in the SAB link and the below:

http://www.phytochemicals.info/phytochemicals/scopoletin.php

http://www.zhion.com/phytonutrients/Scopoletin.html

hey apothecary do you think coumarins could be responsible for the depressant qualities-- very deep sleep I experienced? or more likely the tropanes?

I think I found your reference to the cytotoxicity of B.latifolia:

http://www.banglajol.info/index.php/JPharma/article/view/348/343

Also has stated antimicrobial activity.

A list of Brunfelsia species can be found here, useful for identification and future reference:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Solanaceae/Brunfelsia/none/cultivar/0/

RE: Justicia pectoralis: Interesting plant, reportedly rich in coumarins.

I don't have and am not familiar with this one though,

would be interested in hearing of tantra's research.

Also completely random but I was watering my plants today and thought; has anyone bioassayed any Iochroma species?

rationale: a lesser-known and under-studied genus in the Solanaceae with some historical uses by shamans; maybe worthy of investigation? :wink:

IIRC Iochromas contain 150 different alkaloids(!).

Have seedlings and access to material of deep violet and reddish purple forms of I.cyaneum. Have also seen a reddish-orange fl one which I hope to be the revered I.fuchsioides species.

Edited by culebra22

The numbness is an indication that the Chiric Sanango is working. Nothing to worry about :)

You may want to put the cup away at the first sign of numbness though, or it might get too strong.

It's traditionally used to combat fevers and spiritually as a heart opener.

When taken with Ayahuasca, it changes the nature of the visions and prolongs the mareacion. Ayahuasca makes it active at very low doses, like 0.3 g.

You can also diet with it, with or without Ayahuasca.

Hardy to zone 8a.