The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

What is the most effective analgesic ethnobotanical?

Discussion at Edot

analgesic ethnobotanicals-

"Kratom" ~ Mitragyna speciosa (Bali best strain for pain-killing?)

"Myrrh" ~ Commiphora myrrha

"Yellow Hornpoppy" ~ Glaucium flavum

"Blackseed" ~ Nigella sativa

"Dan Shen" ~ Salvia miltiorrhiza

"Neem" ~ Azadirachta indica

"Mulungu" ~ Erythrina mulungu

"Lousewort" ~ Pedicularis species

"Salvia" ~ Salvia nemorosa (????) ???) please tell me more aobut these salvias

"Salvia" ~ Salvia spathacea (???) please tell me more aobut these salvias

"Salvia" ~ Salvia transsylvanica ???) please tell me more aobut these salvias

Yan Hu Suo" ~ Corydalis turtschaninovii and other speices

"White Willow" ~ Salix alba

"Blue Lily" ~ Nymphaea caerulea

Nelumbo nucifera

red poppy and other poppies

Imphepho

Chaste tree berries

various "other" papaveraceae

picralima nitida

Red clover (trifolium pratense)

rhodiola rosea alkaloid (rosavin)

Alaskan opiate bush (rhododendron tomentosum)

Boswellia ~ Frankinsense

To potentiate the effects-

Chile pepper" ~ Capsicum species

"Black pepper" ~ Piper nigrum

Analgesic Pill?

"Kratom" ~ Mitragyna speciosa (Bali best strain for pain-killing?)

"Myrrh" ~ Commiphora myrrha

"Yellow Hornpoppy" ~ Glaucium flavum

"Blackseed" ~ Nigella sativa

"Dan Shen" ~ Salvia miltiorrhiza

"Yan Hu Suo" ~ Corydalis turtschaninovii or Corydalis yanhusuo

"Blue Lily" ~ Nymphaea caerulea

"White Willow" ~ Salix alba

Picrilima nitida

What esle should I add???

Edited by Teotz'

i remeber we discussed once an australian native mangrove which recently had been found out to contain analgesic properties many times stronger than papaver.

i'm aswell very intrigued by the possibilety that actives from coneshells and similar creatures could be used in the future as painkillers.

you forgot Erythroxylum coca ! it was used in chirurgy and is still a very good local analgesic.

i remeber we discussed once an australian native mangrove which recently had been found out to contain analgesic properties many times stronger than papaver.

Barringtonia acutangula and if anyone can find it for me I'd love to try and grow it (pfffft!).

Why isn't anyone growing Barringtonia acutangula?

Barringtonia acutangula and if anyone can find it for me I'd love to try and grow it (pfffft!).

i got one from Herbalistics probably a couple of years ago, not sure if they'd still have it. unfortunately mine died last year, as a mangrove plant i had a bit of trouble getting it to thrive.

Edited by ajna

there seem to be at least one plant growing in every state except tas.......try google.....

t s t .

Am I just imagining it, or does nutmeg (the mace at least) have a topical anaesthetic action on mucosa?

And I don't think cannabis was mentioned for the original post.

I'm working on a pill... cannabis isn't easily orally active.

It is if its prepared correctly.

I'm working on a pill... cannabis isn't easily orally active.

not so fast...

first, i know what you mean, smoking cannabis is a very effective methode, but the same happens with most activas!!

a small piece of opium might not do much either if you swallow it, but if you smoke it, you maybe get even a small flash.

the principal behind it is that if you smoke it, a lot of actives will enter your bloodstream in a short periode of time, whilst eating is a slow methode of absorbtion.

if you want to pack the stuff in a pill, than either the pill will be very big, or you have to concentrate the raw herb by various means. cannabis would be too bulky in it's natural form, but cannabis oil, or any forms of hash making, would be probably some forms of hemp which could be adminstrated in pill form.

same goes pretty all the plants you mentioned, you would have to reflux the herb with alcohol first and than use the resin for your pills.

there is no doubt your pills would be illigal in most places, apart from india, haha B) !

anyway, teotz, one of your very good sides is, that you have great ideas, which, probably most of us had the same, but you believe more in them than any of us.

i personaly hold the believe, that many herbs, contain some chemicals which tell the body, you had enough, or you are satisfied. or maybe somthing which helps you once withdrawl set's in. now, with pharma grade opiate type of painkillers, none of those substances are present, and that can't be good.

those chemicals have been discovered in papaver, and my huntch would be that other plants have similar principles in place.

so my point is, if you make a pill out of all natural sources, maybe you can create a good painkiller with less of the dramas of getting totaly hooked.

you would have to operate from a state wher all those things are legal, and quite a few of them excist, regardless of what i said previously. from there you could try to sell your pain killers all over the world, via internet ordering.

after a while your product might get such a good reputation, that it sells out all your competedors.

saying all of this made me wonder if one could get a licence to manufactor painkillers containig all natural ingreediances...i guess there would be a big market for it.

2 points for consideration......

it should work as quickly as possible

and

something that works for about 8 hours means you can get a nights sleep

t s t .

2 points for consideration......

it should work as quickly as possible

and

something that works for about 8 hours means you can get a nights sleep

t s t .

# 3 something that dose not cause physical addiction or other health problems with long term use

I will try my upmost hardest to met those 3 criteria.

And yes, I will be using mostly extracts... such as 98% pure Nelumbo extract (which I recently picked up).

# 3 something that dose not cause physical addiction or other health problems with long term use

it's generally thought that the more effective an analgesic is, the more addictive it is i.e. it is hard to dissociate euphoria and analgesia, though i'm sure some new drug is in the pipeline that will do just this.

Shouldn't be that hard to separate the two should it? I mean euphoria and analgesia are two different receptors. Just find some that don't activate dopamine or serotonin I guess. Although I'm probably just over-simplifying...

I mean euphoria and analgesia are two different receptors.

not necessarily!

in terms of analgesics acting on opioid receptors, agonism of µ1 results in analgesia and physical dependence, µ2 euphoria, δ causes analgesia, euphoria and dependence, k results in spinal analgesia. there's a good outline here: http://www.stoppain.org/pcd/_pdf/OpioidChapter2.pdf

so it seems that you can't really get any opiate based analgesia without some form of dependence resulting. k receptors are a little confusing. salvinorin A is a seemingly non-addictive psychedelic k agonist, and nalbuphine is also a k agonist, but has analgesic properties, is addictive, and non-psychedelic.

is salvia analgesic???

i think salvia may be initially dysphoric,if thats the right word,unpleasant,pain twisted worse,then turning to analgesia later.........one attempt years ago put me off repeating,memory loss was severe.

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

is salvia analgesic???

Somebody on another site mentioned Sally D may be analgesic.

not necessarily!

in terms of analgesics acting on opioid receptors, agonism of µ1 results in analgesia and physical dependence, µ2 euphoria, δ causes analgesia, euphoria and dependence, k results in spinal analgesia. there's a good outline here: http://www.stoppain.org/pcd/_pdf/OpioidChapter2.pdf

so it seems that you can't really get any opiate based analgesia without some form of dependence resulting. k receptors are a little confusing. salvinorin A is a seemingly non-addictive psychedelic k agonist, and nalbuphine is also a k agonist, but has analgesic properties, is addictive, and non-psychedelic.

Ahhh yes! I guess I'd forgotten most of the stuff I'd learnt a few years ago :(

i wonder if opiate status affects your experience of salvia then.i often have some residual pain medication in my systen and usually found it had a dysphoric edge......could never understand anyone laughing on salvia......this was when it was legal .

a friend from os in a similar situation to mine reports an attempt to treat pain with salvia leaf.....hoping for spinal analgesia for leg cramps......dose aparently about a square inch only of plain leaf......even at that ultra low dose some effects were felt ,all dysphoric but only mild .....no pain relief......18hours of pain and slight dysphoric edge,with sleep being a bit easier to get.......synergised return of salvia effect ,more pleasant edge than usual at about 18hrs,still pain but maybe ability to cope is improved or something........?

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

Uraria lagopoides

I'm not sure if it is the most effective analgesic but it does have some recorded action.

Found this info while researching a local native Uraria lagopodioides which I have collected the seed and have growing in my garden. Not sure if the local has any markable effects. Does anyone else have any info on this local native Uraria?

New_Phytoconstituents_from_the_Aerial_Parts_of_Uraria_lagopoides.pdf

Anti_inflammatory_and_Analgesic_Activity_of_Uraria_lagopoides.pdf

Edited to add papers for if anyone is interested in reading further on this species.

and again to add that according to this info -

Fabaceae

Uraria lagopodioides (L.) Desv. ex DC. ( as `lagapoides' )

Candolle, A.P. de (Ed) (1825), Prodromus 2: 324 [comb. nov.]

synonym: Hedysarum lagopodioides L.

Bentham, G. (1864), Flora Australiensis 2: 237

Knaap-van Meeuwen, M.S., Nooteboom, H.P. & Steenis, C.G.G.J. van (1961) Preliminary revision of some genera of Malaysian Papilionaceae 1. Reinwardtia 5(4): 419-456 (451-456)

these two species are one and the same.

Edited by rahli

In my opinion P somniferum would hafta' be the best botanical analgesic, that I know of... I can't think of any other plant based analgesic that even comes close.

For me it's opium alkaloids or their semi/synthetic derivatives (if that's the correct word), it all just really swings 'round to P som... In my opinion anyway.

I have found that Kunzea ambigua (used in essential oil form) is incredibly effective as a topical analgesic, having an affect almost like a topical anasthetic.

I have found that Kunzea ambigua (used in essential oil form) is incredibly effective as a topical analgesic, having an affect almost like a topical anasthetic.

thanks for that, and wellcome to the forums cinnamon girl!