"Stevia" ~ Stevia rebaudiana

"Roman Chamomile" ~ Anthemis nobilis

"German Chamomile" ~ Matricaria recutita

Cane Sugar

Honey

(Should not be taken by pregnant women)

Maybe Sassafras?

Edited by Teotz'

some glaucine or yellow horned poppy which contains such compound would be nice.

also, the peppermints/mints contain menthol

which is reported to have kappa opioid agonist activity.

topically, and internally.

apparently, high doses of menthol...say a 100 milligrams, are described as being about as potent of an anti tussive as codeine.

I think I have seen doses above a gram not reccomended.

some plants containing menthol are listed as psychoactives.

..so not only does menthol help in the lungs....but also as an oral anti tussive, and a topical pain reliever as well.

perhaps the menthol "effect" is why some people prefer menthol cigarettes...maybe there is a reinforcing activity of menthol combined with nicotine that is more than just taste.

nigella sativa oil...a mild opioid mu agonist or at least purported to be, is another substance highly regarded for its anti tussive qualitys. I know enough of this oil to say watch large doses..over a tablespoon or even at that dosage can make one dizzy. and if other opioids/opiates are in your system, and you ingest nigella oil...it can make for a stronger, sometimes nauseating experience.

I think many people could probably only need a teaspoon of nigella oil..with a crystal suspension of say 50 milligrams menthol....and 25-50 milligrams of glaucine in a juice or sugar water to wash the oil down.

consuming nuts or oily substances right after the oil, and then drinking water help to get the oil out of the mouth quick. it has a somewhat spicy and bitter quality that is not unpleasant.

I think a good balsamic could balance the nigella oil taste out...with some good cheese one wouldnt probably notice it too much. it might produce a slightly pain relieving salad...and help quiet the cough.

mulllien oil on water, brought to steaming...and then inhaled with a towel over your head...is one of the best treatments that seems to have side effects on my lung health.

it is an expectorant.

one might do this expectoration period...and it really helps to soothe and stimulate one to get the large amounts of mucus free.

also a bit of Eucalyptus oil in there works well with the mullien.

I would put at least a half a millilitre of oil in a big pan.

after this expectoration treatment...I would take some opioids to calm my coughs.

the expectoration 2-3 times a day, followed with some night time opioids helped to calm my bronchitis infection. and after that went away, I was able to get over a concurrent strep infection.

I also quit eating red meat at that period of my life.

I had the strep and bronchitis for almost 3 months. I had to move from a cabin in the north shore Tahoe and move back home to Idaho and split up with my girlfreind because I was so sick.

I moved in with a naturalpath and a clinical nurse. she helped me heal myself with herbs, and treatments. she also was scripted out of the yang being a nurse so she had plenty of cough medicines for me.

but she insisted that the expectoration was going to get me better...the opioids taken alone might only help to perpetuate the bronchial infection.

after the immune system was compramised the strep took hold.

I was slowly damaging my heart, and building up scar tissue in my throat with these strep infections that I was getting every year...and also getting the bronchitis from I think sharing water pipes with large amounts of other people.

in the late 90's I remember seeing a few Dr's talking about conventions where Dr's were noticing that strong bronchial infections seemed to stem from unsanitary water pipe water.

anyways, Dr told me that if I kept getting strep like I was everyear...that it would probably lead to death by a heartattack.

I pretty much took penicillin every year for strep and bronchitis by this time.

and it was the naturalpath that told me to forgoe them for a time to see if I could kick it on my own with herbs to help.

I did kick it in 2 weeks of her treatments. this gunge that had been perpetuation for almost over 3 months.

after that experience...I never needed anti-biotics for strep or bronchitis again. I have taken them for some other infections....but not for strep. because I havnt had strep or bronchitis for over 11 years now after kicking the sichness with my own immune system helping.

perhaps I built the antibodies needed.

or perhaps it was something else, and I only perceived this to be so.

so good expectorants and good anti tussives can be a good regimine together.

DXM works...but some kids end up getting a bit reinforced on the stuff. I have seen teenagers end up using larger doses....just from initially using it as an anti tussive.

I would rather give the kid a strong menthol tea.

DXM works well... :P

Chew a few poppy seed pods? :P As sandalwood says, opioids are king when it comes to cough suppression

It's gotta be legal stuff I can actually put in cough drops and sale.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Keep them coming!

all of these items ARE LEGAL.

and all are FDA approved in their natural form too I believe.

menthol is a common ingredient in mint. its a good product, and a flavoring in food and pharmaceuticals.

actually menthol is already used in most cough drops!

its just the amount of menthol that they generally use is only 5-10 milligrams of menthol per lozenge.

the data suggesting that menthol is similiar in potency to codeine might mean that doses of menthol might become more of an internal anti tussive with the doses similiar to those of codeine for cough.

maybe 25-50 milligrams per lozenge might allow for a greater internal anti tussive effect.

the menthol also works directly on areas that it comes in contact generally, especially mucous membranes.

the nigella oil could only be used in a liquid form or in gel caps. unless there is a way to concentrate the oil into a semi solid.

yellow horned poppy is a common anti tussive in europe. where pure glaucine is used for standardization in pill and powder form.

so all these ingredients should be legal in all of the western world, and probably in many places in europe and the middle east.

nigella sativa is sacred to islam in the sense that Mohammed espoused the virtues of the plant for all sorts of ailments/treatments. he said it would become a medicine used in the future.

kappa opioid and other opioid agonist properties are known in a few fda approved herbs.

chaste tree..., black cohosh....red clover....

while those herbs are not generally used for colds and coughs...I know that at least chaste tree is used in one otc the immune defense formula.

the point I am trying to make is that kappa opioid and even mu opioid agonist properties are found in our diets and herbal dietary supplements...milk, wheat, and spinach contain compounds that turn into opioid peptides.

so I wouldnt worry too much when your favorite dietary supplement is found to have activity comparable to some illegal or prescription substances.

st johns wort is an herb that seems to have the potential of have a multitude of effects at various receptors types in the brains of mammals.

menthol is probably the obvious ingredient to include in cough medicines.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Keep them coming!

Chew a few poppy seed pods?

Poppy pods are not legal.

eucalyptus?

Edit: WTF I totally didn't even see it's already there. Carry on.

Edited by FancyPants

Hey Teotz, poppy seed pods are legal where you live.

Just go to ebay and type in poppy pods. You'll be

amazed at the pages of poppy pods for sale.

Elecampane is good in cough drops. Maybe really small amounts of lobelia inflata too? Small amounts being the key words here :P

"Coca" ~ Erythroxylum coca
-
:huh:

edit - spelling

Edited by Qhorakuna tantani

Hey Teotz, poppy seed pods are legal where you live.

Just go to ebay and type in poppy pods. You'll be

amazed at the pages of poppy pods for sale.

Um... NO.

Lobelia inflata sounds good.

Tell me more about Elecampane please?

Edited by Teotz'

Poppy pods are not legal.

umm since when is that a concern to you? :lol:

Edited by planthelper

So I guess Poppies and opiates are the ultimate for this kind of thing... but are there any legal alternative I could actually use in Cough Drops that I'm going to sale?

As you can see in the first post the "Evening Syrup" contains many opiods and opiate-like compounds...

Any suggestions?