The Corroboree
Micromegas

Merry Christmas

Ok folks since it is almost Christmas and also my 300th post, I thought I would give away one 20cm midcut of the tree-climbing san pedro (aka sausage plant) shown in this thread http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=19622 calloused and ready to plant.

If you would like to be considered, I want to know what is your favourite plant family, 3 species (or genus) within the family, and one interesting fact regarding said plant family (Help me learn!)

Since it's christmas I will pay postage as well. I'll decide a winner sometime in the new year...

This is definately one of my favourite cacti!

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you have a great festive season!

Micro

Poaceae

Approximately 600 genera and up to 10000 species.

Zea sp. (maize)

Oryaza sp. (rice)

Triticum sp. (wheat)

Plants from this family provide the major source of carbohydrates to humans. Another member of this family is used in scaffolding for construction throughout Asia. Humans also source most of their sugar from the sugar cane (Saccharum sp.) and use many members of this family as fodder for livestock.

Without a doubt the most important plant family to humans... and probably the only reason the world can support the massive population of today!

Solonacea. the Nightshade plants.

Brugmansia, datura, solandra maxima, atropa belladonna, tobacco, duboisia, potatoes etc... I know you said 3 but how can ya discriminate within this family? SO MANY cool plants.

1 interesting thing about this family, in my opinion, is how most of these plants have been utilized in some part of the world for magical purposes even before they were confirmed to be botanically related. They do have a very magical vibe. The witches herbs.

APOCYNACEAE - a family in the order Gentianales, the same order as the coffees (Rubiaceae - including Psychotria, Yohimbe & Kratom ~ a cool family in itself!) and others like frangipanis.

Tabernanthe Iboga is this families most interesting species, mainly as I'm reading about it at the moment, especially the little amount of serious research undertaken toward its use in curing addiction, among other things. The key alkoloid is ibogaine, which is also contained in other members in the apocynaceae family: Voacanga spp, Tabernaemontana spp and Trachelospermum jasminoides (oh yes, that sweet smelling jasmine vine thingy!).

Being a fan of the smarts, Vinca Minor, or the lesser periwinkle is no stranger to me. It contains alkoloids to help with blood circulation, even in the brain. Vinpocetine is derived from this, a chemical which in me produces a great nootropic effect, as well as a shiny glow to things in my vision, like everything has been washed by a shower of rain, and is crystal, like new.

Alstonia scholaris is the final plant worth mentioning here from the Apocynaceae. Native in Queensland and North through to India, where it's bark has been used traditionally to treat diarrhea, roots although poisonous, good appled to skin disease and inflammation, and seeds apparently as an aphrodesiac and hallucinogenic(what a combo!). Alstonias contain many useful and interesting compounds worth further investigation, such as Reserpine and Chlorogenic acid. some info here: http://www.globinmed.com/IMRContent/safety...spx?id=SAF00024

Cant go past Lamiaceae

So many useful species. My three favorites are:

The subtle but powerful Ocimum tenuiflorum - Holy Basil (syn. Ocimum sanctum, Tulsi, Tulasī, तुलसी‌ etc). Great tonic, for both mind and body during times of high stress - this got me through my honours year at uni.

Salvia Divinorum. I owe my understanding of the relationship between time and space to this plant. In my humble opinion, one of nature's greatest gifts. There are lots of other great Saliva sp as well, way too many to mention.

Lemon balm Melissa officinalis. Tasty, relaxing and anti-viral!

There are lots of active and useful genera and species in Lamiaceae that we already know about, and I suspect there are many more waiting to be found.

(That said, I'd put Fabaceae - the legumes, as a very close second)

Fabaceae or Leguminosae

commonly known as the legume family, pea family, bean family or pulse family..has to be the most interesting family ever...

Glycine max (soya bean)

Arachis hypogaea (peanut)

Pisum sativum (pea)

Whilst living in London in the 90's I took it upon myself to do some learning whilst partying and did a 2yr course in Environmental Science at the Chelsea Physic Gardens.

One of the most interesting modules of the course was the work done by the Austrian monk Gregor Mendel and his work with the Pea.

Now rather than try and explain it all to you here and end up with a wall of text and many spelling mistakes I have provided a great link explaining his work with genetics and the humble pea.

http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabe...okgenintro.html

Its a great read I loved learning about it and it always makes me smile when I eat nuts or peas etc..when I remember what I learn't back then.

merry xmas and psychedelic new year.

H.

Fabaceae or Leguminosae

commonly known as the legume family, pea family, bean family or pulse family..has to be the most interesting family ever...

Glycine max (soya bean)

Arachis hypogaea (peanut)

Pisum sativum (pea)

Whilst living in London in the 90's I took it upon myself to do some learning whilst partying and did a 2yr course in Environmental Science at the Chelsea Physic Gardens.

One of the most interesting modules of the course was the work done by the Austrian monk Gregor Mendel and his work with the Pea.

Now rather than try and explain it all to you here and end up with a wall of text and many spelling mistakes I have provided a great link explaining his work with genetics and the humble pea.

http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabe...okgenintro.html

Its a great read I loved learning about it and it always makes me smile when I eat nuts or peas etc..when I remember what I learn't back then.

merry xmas and psychedelic new year.

H.

Astrophytum. They are some of the most sexiest cacti alive, there colours and formations and the ease in which they form hybrids is most amazing and how members of the same family can have such varired form.

Turbinicarpus , for mostly the same reason.

Fralia. they are one of the most under rated cacti. An intersting fact they are the only species of cacti that are known to seed without first flowering. :)

Well Merry Christmas guys... in hindsight i could have chosen something far more imaginative that favourite plant family, lol! :o

It's crazy really, how could you have a favourite family when there are so many good ones and so many of such importance. I myself don't even have a favourite. Or maybe, the cactaceae!

But I have to go for Momomota as the apocynaceae has been popping up again and again in the books I have been reading lately and seems to contain some unusual plants. PM me your address and I'll get on to it. Do you make a tea of the Vinca minor, sounds like an interesting plant.

Thanks for the link re: Mendel Hunab, I was going to reward you but after reading meiosis so many times my opinion became excessively divided!

Next time I give something away I'll try to think of something much more fun! B)

Cheers for participating, I need to empty my carport of cactus!

No probs man..congrats Momomota..he's a great guy I'm happy for his win.

Glad to see you gained some knowledge Micro...was a great idea for giveaway actually..champion.

H.

Yay winnar! :worship:

It was pretty good to see a bit more 'educational content' running through this comp and I enjoyed gaining more awareness of plants that everyone had in mind.

I've also been filtering more and more Apocynaceae(ah-poe-see-nay-see-ay?) out of the things I read, at nurseries, etc. In fact I cant even look at those chicky frangipani stickers without wondering what hidden alkoloids live in that side of the family :)

Micromegas, you ask about taking Lesser periwinkle/Vinca minor: a ground dried leaf herb can be taken at the same dosage as tea and actually synergises almost perfectly with tea! It works great for hangovers. More info http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/3659003.html

Lesser Periwinkles actually have some report of causing stomach upset and a host of other side-effects. Seriously though, all plant products do this at a great enough dose.

Vincamine is the isolated chemical which exists in this plant to give it's benefits. Vinpocetine is what happens when clever human intervention (tweakers) meet a 'clever' plant chemical. It cuts out some of the unwanted 'middlemen' - alkaloids, tannins or other plant products which can have those side-effects. You can find this as a suprisingly cheap supplement online or certain health & herbalist stores. Recommended.

THANKS MICRO!

Cheers for the info momo i'll check that out (maybe B) )

It's -a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee- away with dog, you were pretty close

all names ending in eae are "ee ee" not sure why just what i was told by my lecturer tho it is common for people to just say one ee for convenience... or some time ee eye

haha, the names give me the shits frankly but they have their (indispensible) utility

another member brought my attention to this site (thanks whoever that was!) it's pretty cool: http://davesgarden.com/guides/botanary/

thats the first i've heard about Ibogaine in Trachelospermum jasminoides. thats so interesting! it's a really common decorative plant sold in nurseries.

Yeah, there are so many plants sitting under our noses that have elixirs hidden inside them.

I can't wait for a psychedelic mutant strain of flu :lol: