The Corroboree
faustus

must-see documentaries

for me personally SAB and word of mouth have been fantastic sources for films, books, music and ideas that have made an impact on my life. we already have a youtube video clip recommendation thread, i think it'd be great to have a pinned thread where peeps can submit their recommendations about docos, films, books, music, etc on an ongoing basis. maybe this one should be about docos, and perhaps others on books, etc.

so start submitting your recommendations here, but be sure to include a brief description of them. and they needn't have anything to do with drugs!

here are some of my faves, :

dark days

an independent doco about a group of drug addicted and homeless people that live in abandoned underground subways in new york that's in complete darkness. very touching and won several sundance film festival awards

king of kong

all about these video game nerds attempting to break the world record for donkey kong. i originally thought it was a parody because it was so humourous in such a subtle way, but when i found it was completely real, then it sealed its fate as an absolute classic!

fight science

looks at different martial arts disciplines and pits them against crash-test dummy like scenarios where the force of impact and damage from a blow can be calculated. the hammer fist is one bad mother fucker of a punch

the bridge

about the golden gate bridge's notoriety as a suicide hotspot. so for a year or so a cameraman fixed his camera on the bridge and taped all suicides and suicide attempts. to vindicate himself of any moral responsibility, he would always report to the authorities people he suspected would kill themselves, but generally they wouldn't come in time. follows the stories behind some of the people who killed themselves, and quite an amazing one about one jumper who survived. make sure you watch this one in the right mood or it may just fuck with your head

Edited by twix elbert

This is an excellent idea...I have allways wanted a single post with all relative doc's and films relative to our interests.

Can we put up favourite movies too..things like Renegade, Spun, Blow, Baraka etc..

H.

oh thank you Mr Baph...shouldn't we have one thats pinned though..old posts get lost in in the ether...

H.

I would like us to have a thread in which we could not only post films but icaro's and other audio as well as PDF's, IN FACT I THINK IT SHOULD BE PINNED.

Only difference is that you guys are going to have to find the films, etc yourselves in this thread cause torrent links will be deleted. Many of the films I was going to upload no longer have seeders or were not available on the net, tough break :(

Edited by baphomet

Any idea where I can find a copy of the 'The Bridge' that sounds pretty chilling...

x-files episode with iboga!

There was a really good doco on SBS a few months ago about that plane crash in Peru where the survivors had to eat the dead. Can't remember the name unfortunately but worth watching.

Any idea where I can find a copy of the 'The Bridge' that sounds pretty chilling...

yeah i got a copy, PM me

i think it'd be great to have a pinned thread where peeps can submit their recommendations about docos, films, books, music, etc on an ongoing basis. is one

+1

Boy I could name a few but...

Movie.

A new one that I found very engaging was " ZEITGEIST: ADDENDUM " http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/ - if your not interested in learning about the madness of our modern monetary system... skip to the last 40 mins or so where they talk about 'the venus project'. This part of the film focuses on what they have called a 'resource based society' which essentially consists of pouring 100% of our efforts into natural energy sources and ultimately removing the need for money all together.

I try not to be too cynical, but its very much a pipe dream. It has however given me new motivation to be as self sustaining as possible and ' get off the grid '.

Book.

Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku.

A great read about Quantum Physics and String Theory, Parallel Universes ect... There are many books along these lines but I found this one particularly well written.

Music.

Since I have such good taste in music and my collection is superior to yours. I will demand that you all listen to ... * closes eyes and waves fingers around randomly at the CD rack*

Pat Metheny - Quartet

;)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0PwjVJbrk

Terence McKenna - Alien Dreamtime [1993]. McKenna's best philosophical points packed together with music and images, in almost beat-lyrical prose. Interesting if you know his stuff already, a little headdy if you never heard of it. good for 1993 anyway :)

Hey Baphomet

Know any sites where i could download that Peyote to LSD doco from? It was on youtube a while ago but looks like it's been removed.

cheers

http://www.entheogen.tv/

Entheogen: Awakening the Divine Within is a feature length documentary which invites the viewer to rediscover an enchanted cosmos in the modern world by awakening to the divine within.

Yeah Waco's a good one.

The Killing of America - it's about serial killers. This was made back in the day before criminal profiling really became a science. Creepy.

Heart of Darkness - about the making of Apocalyse Now.

Grizzly Man - bears are not your friends OK!

A couple seen recently:

'the garbage warrior' about sustainable architecture in the desert.

'american swing' about swingers club in NY.

'6 degrees of helter skelter' Manson gang.

IOUSA' about america's debt problem

Yeah Waco's a good one.

The Killing of America - it's about serial killers. This was made back in the day before criminal profiling really became a science. Creepy.

Heart of Darkness - about the making of Apocalyse Now.

Grizzly Man - bears are not your friends OK!

Killing of America - god I saw that as a teenager and it scared the willies out of me. I remember the narrator had a deep spooky tone.

religulous documentary by billy maher looking at how ridiculous organised religion is. although i didn't think maher is that funny as a comedian i found it quite clever and insightful especially when he interviews creationists, and it covers a lot of ground.

i give it 7/10 cones. :bong::bong::bong::bong::bong::bong::bong:

War on Drugs- Prison industrial complex in the US

The Beyond Within- LSD

The Magic Weed- History of Marijuana

Hooked- Illegal drugs and how they got that way

Part 1- Cocaine

Part 2- Opium, morhine and Heroin

Part 3- LSD, Ecstasy and the Raves

Part 4- Marijuana and Methanphetamine

And of course Grass- Narrated by Woody Harrelson

Edited by jabez