The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Legba

Feral cats on bush tucker menu

Feral cats are on the menu in a bush food competition in Alice Springs.

The competition requires people to use ingredients found in the Australian bush - including feral animals.

Children's book author and entrant Kay Kessing says cats can taste great.

"It's a white meat, they vary a lot; the first cat I cooked didn't have a strong flavour and I put a lot of ingredients with it and that made a beautiful stew," she said.

"This cat that I've cooked is a slightly larger cat; it's got a slightly stronger flavour but it's not as strong as rabbit."

But Ms Kessing draws the line at cooking pet cats.

"It should always be wild cat, it should always be wild camel because that's creating a terrible problem out bush now, especially in the dry times," she said.

"And we should be eating donkeys and horse meat like the French do."

abc.net.au/news

It's funnny - everyone's initial reaction to such an article is :puke: (as was mine). Our societies mindframe when it comes to new but unusual things is always very closed, even though we eat many strange animals already. I cant say I'd go out and try it, but for anyone keen, then why not? It solves both hunger and cuts down on over populated species in specific areas. Haha, after preaching my views in another thread about human overpopulation, I have to ask - when will we turn once again to cannibalism? I guess once them resources dwindle enough, it will soon enough become one of the only options... Yikes! :o

I think it's funny how for many years farmers spend lots of money on keeping ferals out of their paddocks and only recently they realised they can actually make money for next to nothing. Feral goat exports are up 72% over the last 12 months.

Cat, the other, other white meat...

nice. personally i think its a great idea. if people get into feral cat hunting/trapping for food im sure there would be a rise in our native bird populations. and bush tucker living is a great idea, its another lifestyle change i intend to make in the future. kind of makes me think about the countless potential other foods the we have ignored. LOL like the concept from this movie Soylent Green.

"This next annoucment is brought to you by Soylent red and Soylent yellow, .... and new, delicious, Soylent green. The miracle food ..."

I agree with Ace. If the masses are now evolving past whats ok to eat in the animal kingdom, I think that maybe the "Soylent Green" might not be a long way off. Hu-fu (pronounced "who-foo") did way better than expected, maybe there is a market. Canibalism will solve quite a few of the worlds problems. but with everybody eating everybody else we'd have another obesity epidemic... guess they would be next LOL. personally dont think id go for it, my spiritualism side has its reasons.

"It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them! You tell everybody. Listen to me... You've gotta tell them! Soylent Green is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!"

I think it's funny how for many years farmers spend lots of money on keeping ferals out of their paddocks and only recently they realised they can actually make money for next to nothing. Feral goat exports are up 72% over the last 12 months.

A friend of mine was telling me a story, how he knew a guy, who at first spent a lot of effort keeping his goats inside his property.

One day they got out and he didnt' see them for a week or so, when they came back to the property, he noticed their numbers were greatly increased, they had brought back lots and lots of feral goats from the bordering National Park.

He started making a mint from then on letting a few goats out every so often, he would end up with a bunch of extra sellable goats about a week later.

The Federal Environment Minister Ian Campbell has got a rather interesting present coming for him in the mail from Tasmania's King Island.

It's a feral cat hat, made from one of the cats put down during the island's feral cat trapping program.

Senator Campbell was on King Island recently to announce funding for the threatened orange-bellied parrot, and he mentioned that he wouldn't mind a cat fur hat as a reminder of the threat that cats pose to wildlife.

Naracoopa resident Robyn Eades told the Country Hour how she made the hat.

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/vic/content/2006/s1776657.htm

:rolleyes:

Soylent Green, huh?

Austrian police arrested a 19-year-old homeless German on suspicion of murdering a flatmate in a homeless shelter and eating parts of his body.

A cleaning woman found the naked, sliced-open corpse of a 49-year-old Austrian on Tuesday morning in the flat he had shared with the German, a Vienna police spokesman said.

Spokesman Gerald Hoebarth said some of the victim's body parts were found on a plate.

"Whether the suspect ate from that, we don't know yet," he said.

Other body parts were found in an adjoining room.

Court psychiatrist Reinhard Haller told ORF television that the perpetrator was "deeply abnormal" and added: "The cause could have been a psychotic reaction or a sadistic compulsion".

In neighbouring Germany last year, a computer technician was sentenced to life in prison for slicing off the penis of a man he had met via the Internet - with the man's approval - then killing him and eating part of his corpse.

Earlier this year, a schizophrenic prison inmate in France killed a fellow prisoner and ate part of his heart.

Source

Amulte. If eating feral humans is coming in the near future, where do you propose we hide? :P

:o Damn, thats a tad messed up... :puke: I agree Bacchant - if we dont hide soon, we'll be turned into man-meat in no time... :unsure:

Perhaps it could be a good way to cut down on prison inmate populations in the US (only picking on the US because of their huge prison populations - due to their overly severe punishments for relatively harmless 'crimes'). Start with the murderers/rapists and feed them to the rest for a nice change from the usual prison food :P