The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Koala (Luke Perth)

Mushroom Extract?

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever heard of a magic mushroom extract. I have recently invested in what the sellers call "Zinc" and they say its extract in capsules. I have not yet tried them (waiting for the weekend). But if anyone has had them or heard of them please let me know!

Cheers

Luke

I don't know if you could call it an extract, perhaps more like a tincture... but a few years ago I had a 1L bottle of Stolichnya vodka of which I had absolutely no interest in drinking (of all the intoxicating substances in the world - the ones that Ive tried anyway - I find alcohol to be the least enjoyable).

I was living in Melbourne at the time and it was around late May and the shrooms were in abundance, I mean we were getting sick of picking them!

So I started chopping them up and putting them in the vodka (had to tip out about 250ml first). Every week or so I would tip it out into another bottle, strain out the chunks, :shroomer: and replace them with a fresh cup of diced shroom.

This went on for almost 3 months and the vodka went from a brilliant blue in the first two additions to almost black by the end of it. The final straining was done through some kind of coffee filter type stuff and after the liquid settled out for the last time, the blueness could be see again when holding the bottle up to the light.

The resulting brew was f***ing fantastic, 2 shots (60ml) was enough to sort even the psychedelic hard heads out.

After a period of time (a month?) the brew changed to an almost whisky type colour... this might have had something to do with exposure to sunlight....

There's also the dried, powdered (and I mean powdered to flour like consistency) and then capsualised method which when done properly into 00 size caps is quite effective... ie. strong enough to make what seems like quite a small dose that an extract is almost unnecessary.

I don't know if this really answers your question, but I had fun telling and reliving the story :lol:

Edited by philistine

Sounds like the best Vodka in history! We could call it Smurf Vodka!! :P

I've heard the same can be done using a little Mary in the vodka - I think its called Green Dragon or something :)

No idea about 'zinc', but a dose of psilocybin is around 20mg, so if it was a good extraction it really wouldn't need capsuling - that's not a lot of material. More likely it is is just dried mushrooms, which are commonly capsulated.

There's also the dried, powdered (and I mean powdered to flour like consistency) and then capsualised method which when done properly into 00 size caps is quite effective... ie. strong enough to make what seems like quite a small dose that an extract is almost unnecessary.

Thanks guys, the caps are large and filled with a powder of flour like consistency. I was told you need to take 2 -3 for a trip. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens

:)

I have a question, in ppls experience (not the theory) I see alcohol keeps the actives pretty safe as long as it is kept out of sunlight, is this just an assumption?

Asfar as I can see the main destructive elements are moisture/air and sunlight right?

What about heat?..and time?(even when kept in the dark and dry) --> what degree do these elements play a role?

Also would powderising accelerate the oxidisation process?

Its just that through all the reading I got the impression the better/closer you extracted down to base compounds the more likely the actives would deteriate? :scratchhead:

Any clarification would be appreciated...just a bit confused :blink:

AJ

Thanks guys, the caps are large and filled with a powder of flour like consistency. I was told you need to take 2 -3 for a trip.

Sounds very much like standard dried shroom caps to me.

Sounds very much like standard dried shroom caps to me.

How are these shroom caps made?

I'd assume [completely] dry the perticular specimens, grind to a very fine powder, then measure exact quantities into capsules. They can be bought online (caps) and possibly in healthfood shops. Same can be done for medicinal herbs or tinctures.

Use dessicator crystals to dry them (in a cool place) , don't try drying in the sun, they will go yuk.

Yeah thanks for the info guys!

Could one not just soak ground up mushrooms in Methylated Spirits, then strain and evaporate?

- Apparently these crystals (psilocybin) can be smoked for a similar experience to DMT?

Edited by mardybum

Asfar as I can see the main destructive elements are moisture/air and sunlight right?

What about heat?..and time?(even when kept in the dark and dry) --> what degree do these elements play a role?

Also would powderising accelerate the oxidisation process?

Moisture might introduce mould perhaps, but I think your main enemies are light, heat, and air/oxygen. Psilocin is very unstable and little, if any, survives drying, AFAIK. Psilocybin should last many moons if kept in an airtight container (+dessicant) in a cool dry place. And a powder has a greater surface area/volume, so will degrade faster, yes.

Could one not just soak ground up mushrooms in Methylated Spirits, then strain and evaporate?

If you can find a clean metho with no bittering agent, etc, then I guess that would be one way. But ethanol (main component of methylated spirits) preferentially extracts psilocin, which degrades more quickly & I doubt would be viable when smoked. Methanol on the other hand preferentially extracts psilocybin, which is much more stable. Unless cleaned, the extract would probably be a goo rather than crystals.

- Apparently these crystals (psilocybin) can be smoked for a similar experience to DMT?

I would've thought they could be smoked for an experience similar to psilocybin, but that's just me.

Moisture might introduce mould perhaps, but I think your main enemies are light, heat, and air/oxygen. Psilocin is very unstable and little, if any, survives drying, AFAIK. Psilocybin should last many moons if kept in an airtight container (+dessicant) in a cool dry place. And a powder has a greater surface area/volume, so will degrade faster, yes.

If you can find a clean metho with no bittering agent, etc, then I guess that would be one way. But ethanol (main component of methylated spirits) preferentially extracts psilocin, which degrades more quickly & I doubt would be viable when smoked. Methanol on the other hand preferentially extracts psilocybin, which is much more stable. Unless cleaned, the extract would probably be a goo rather than crystals.

I would've thought they could be smoked for an experience similar to psilocybin, but that's just me.

Has anyone here tried this? If it did work would the exp be as short as a dmt trip? Interesting.....

A story was relayed to me regarding the shelf life of powdered mushrooms. Apparently the mushrooms had been powdered and capped and left in the freezer for 12 months. They were then consumed in a quantity greater than normal as the potency had been expected to have dropped. Apparently the potency had not droppped and the two people who participated in the experiment were "tripping balls".

So if cared for properly, dried powdered shrooms will last a good long time.

As for smoking psilocybin I was under the impression that the temperature of the flame would destroy the good bits. Having said that there is still some conflicting evidence that smoking mushrooms can have a noticable effect.

FOAF performed methanol extraction on heated and dried a. muscaria to yield a ball of black resin. FOAF has been too busy to bioassay though.

Guest Øskorei
And a powder has a greater surface area/volume, so will degrade faster

I'm of the mind that if any substance is to be put through an extraction process, that powdering of base material provides greater surface area in which to extract 'goodies' ie; better than a few big chunks. But in terms of storage, if we were to powder dried mushroom to a consistency of flour or bathroom talcum, surely this would reduce the airflow through the entirety of stock, and render only the top few millimetres as diminishing in alkaloids.

Of course, we're not making a supposition that we're going to store powdered ethno's in a 100 year time capsule. Real-time consumption expectations should be considered....

Picked at their prime, dried mushies, kept in something that excludes air and moisture, light too, seem passably potent up to two or three years later. Whole-ish, that is, and no added heat during drying etc.Chitin is fairly tough shit, thats why it takes a cockerroach dead in your window tracks a LONG time to actually break down. So it would make a decent hidey hole or two for those magic little molecules.

edity bit... I think there is a lot to be said that something THAT potent in its natural and most basic of forms probably doesn't need much stuffing with. The inbuilt safety mechanisms and cutout aspects in natural highs are often bypassed by making them many times more potent. Even at its most basic form, its easier to drink yourself sick on vodka (without the fungus fun!) than it is to do it on bitter.But people are hell bent on having fashionable sparkly rocks methinks. Not one for fashion, me.

full of my own bullshitakke :d

GD

Edited by greendreams

"Zinc"??? WTF kinda name is that? lol i used to take Zinc as a child due to a deficiency, you can get Zinc in health food stores, supermarkets and pharmacys but its not psilo LOL and an extract dose would be way to small to fill a cap. a dose of powdered subs fits into 4-5 caps for reference.

back in the day "Pixie dust" was an extract of psilo, and yes it was smokable.

in reguards to smoking psilo and heat degredation, heat degrades everything just at different rates. just cuz it degrages with heat doesnt mean its ineffective. look at it like this...

THC is about 200°C

DMT is about 40°C

Psilo is about 170°C

the variations in heat indicate that it would be fairly effective in contrast to the other smokable substances listed

I'm of the mind that if any substance is to be put through an extraction process, that powdering of base material provides greater surface area in which to extract 'goodies' ie; better than a few big chunks. But in terms of storage, if we were to powder dried mushroom to a consistency of flour or bathroom talcum, surely this would reduce the airflow through the entirety of stock, and render only the top few millimetres as diminishing in alkaloids.

Sure it'd be better for extraction, but for storage, unless your storage space was extremely limited, I'd avoid grinding. You'd have to pack the powder pretty tight to reduce air contact. I've also heard that you can add iron filings (to a sealed container), which react with the oxygen, preventing oxidation of the psilocybin. But as you say, they're not being stored forever - as long as it's kept in a cold, dark & dry place a powder should keep just fine.

And I'm pretty sure that psilocybin can be smoked - don't know what the loss is - but it should probably be extracted first! (where legal, of course)