The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Pereskiopsis Grafting Tek

Hey guys, attached is a PDF grafting tek for pereskiopsis and cacti seedlings (namely lophs). Hope you like it, I will update with newer versions as I get pics (perhaps every couple months) and additional notes.

Enjoy! Now, get out there and GRAFT!! :)

Pereskiopsis_Grafting_in_a_Nutshell_1.1.pdf

Please let me know if there are any errors, or if you think there should be any changes.

• Like 1

Fine piece of journalism there Ace :)

So when is the book being published hehe.

Well Done.

Good info

:rolleyes:

Thanks

Good guide :)

But did you really root out and grow that 5mm left over bit of pereskiopsis?

Can cuttings be rooted ok in water or should they be put in vermiculite or calloused and planted in soil? I've heard it every which way and my new peres is almost recovered from its journey well enough to start cloning it :)

Cheers Auxin :)

Yep, well, that is to say that I put it in some soil. I dont think it has done anything yet, but its only been a couple days. I wont lose sleep if it dies, but I'll be pretty happy if it powers on :lol:

I usually root peres cuttings just in a pot of fresh soil. Give it plenty of water, warmth and light and never let it completely dehydrate, and you'll be laughing! I started with about 6 cuttings and now I have about 2-3 times that :) But, alas, that is never enough! :P

nice guide Ace

im heaps brutal with my peres, snap em off, plonk em in any old soil. have one tip that was sitting in saucer of another plant and it popped out some roots after a while.

hardy little fellas. their only weakness is that some caterpillars find them very very tasty. i guess that can be helped by some mesh to keep the moths out.

Nicely done Ace, I think think this could be a good start for this place. I have often thought

this place needs a lot more teks pinned in all forums as is done at the nook and many other sites

to stop people receiving replies such as "UTSE".

So the enlightened ones out there start typing and the moderators start pinning!!

Once again, nice work Ace.

Cheers.

You may aswell add some pics to it.

Stock ready for grafts.

gallery_560_106_766771.jpg

Razor blade= secret weapon

gallery_560_106_774479.jpg

Lophs to be grafted

gallery_560_106_755233.jpg

Stock ready for graft

gallery_560_106_513874.jpg

Loph ready to be grafted, just pop it on top and apply a little pressure.

gallery_560_106_206830.jpg

Grafts in humidity

gallery_560_106_1084926.jpg

gallery_560_106_282397.jpg

My tips:

- cut peres so its about same diameter as loph to be grafted and align loph on one side of peres.

- the humidity is so they dont dehydrate before they take, so removing lights might help aswell.

- the healthier the seedlings the more chance of taking, so when you begin graft healthy ones 1-2months old.

- clean cuts.

- experience is worth 1000 teks, so just do it.

I also tried some wedge grafts on some bigger plants today.

Also i see no point in alcohol swabs and sliding the loph off the blade onto the stock is not needed, just but then place on with fingers. Also i see no need for ooze from leaves, in most cases its good enough as it is. And where you cut the peres depends on the size of the loph to be grafted.

unreal pics teo! and thanks for your tips :) I will add them to my list of things to do, and I'll do an updated version - perhaps just start from scratch using the better pics :)

Big thanks - and Yep, I still agree, experience is worth more than any tek, but this is just to give people a good idea of what the basics are and a bit of encouragement :)

hows about we get these teks up on the ethnobot wiki.

ace and teos pictures would be great on there.

haha i didnt realise there was pics already lol otherwise i wouldnt have taken mine.

Good info guys!

Where can i find reasonably priced peres?

Where can i find reasonably priced peres?
:unsure::scratchhead: Oh yeah... I heard of a shop called Shaman Australis that sells them for $6

I have been trying forced etoliation with my loph seedlings with some good success.

What I have found is that once the seedling reaches say 1.5cm or over in height, I can cut the top of the seedling (apical meristem) and subsequently graft this as per usual and am left with a rooted section which I ensure includes several aeroles which will eventually produce pups.

This can then be re-cut and grafted once more onto the pereskiopsis root stock.

Essentially I can get 2 or more grafts from a single seedling.

Its my 2 for 1 deal!

• Like 1

How do you force etoliation on loph seedlings? Growing in the dark or several ppm gibberellin A3 or somethin?

yeah mine stretch abit, i like it cos it gets the tips up then i expose to more light and they fatten, i also then add gravel to the surface and cos they were a little etoliated they sit above it. Can just graft both bits trip :)

So... How does one force etoliation? Please explain, this sounds like a very handy thing to know :)

It would have to be done via a lack of light. That is the only thing that will cause it AFAIK. A very interesting idea Tripi! What is the success rates so far with getting 2 grafts per seedling? Is there a lot of difficulty in this method?

It would have to be done via a lack of light. That is the only thing that will cause it AFAIK.

:lol: I take it youve never played with gibberellin A3? That stuff can turn virtually anything into a fast growing vine. Most biology books will have a pic of a regular cabbage that was turned into a 5 meter long vine with it.

• Like 1

Really? Man, never heard of it but it sounds pretty cool! Where would you source that? Perhaps a nursery, or a chemist or something?

So how does it effect the plant? Just pumps it up really fast? If so, why arent we using it for our cacti already!?!?! :o

Well the method I use to force etoliation is to simply place say 70% shade cloth over the top of my growing tubs (140watt CF), have not tried gibberellin A3 but as Auxin says this may work as well and I am sure would provide many more aeroles to work with.

I have tried 2 grafts this way so far and all have taken.

It is no more difficult than any other form of grafting I have tried and you will double your grafting bank 2 fold.

Well worth the extra effort I would say.

I like to work smarter not harder :innocent_n:

Smarter indeed! Im actually suprised this isnt more common. A simple idea with some great rewards! I might have to shade a few seedlings and see if I cant make an attempt at it...