The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Problems with forum search function

The second last upgrade really did not go well and left this forum with a few technical problems. Some have been sorted out, other we are still working on, and a few even IPB tech support have given up on [short of a complete reinstall which I am not in the mood for just yet].

The search function is the main problem of these it seems. Clicking search on the top right of the screen opens up a field, but often this does nothing. You can rightclick and open a full search window with all the advanced search parameters, but many users possibly don't know this. For those unfamiliar with rightclicking you can use this link to get to the search page:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...=Search&f=4

shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?act=Search&f=4

As for searches coming up with blank pages, this is a php timeout. IPB tells me there is nothing I can do about it. As I don't understand it I have to take their word for it. Anyway, I have found that narrowing your search [to subforums or with better search terms] will dramatically decrease the time outs. Often if it times out you just click back and try again. I have personally not been prevented from doing any search, simply by adjusting to these limitations.

I hope some of these new problem will be sorted by the next release. Given the otherwise totally awesome features of this software I can handle the occasional shortcoming.

Thought I'd add this for the benefit of the FAQ:

If the search function is down, one may search the forums by plugging the following into google:

searchterm site:shaman-australis.com inurl:/forum

in my overzealous attempts to keep google from hogging bandwidth I accidentally locked it out of the forums completely :o . so it might take a little while before google will return any current material.

google still crawls the site, so it will find its way back onto the forums in a matter of days now that I've allowed it back.