The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ashley

d cabrerana

Anyone know what the status of this plant is? It must be getting around a bit by now right?

curious,

ashley

Guest andy

Status, as in availability ? Well as far as Im aware it still hasnt really made it out of the amazon properly. Noone that I know of has any cuttings, plants or seeds, and have only once seen them offered for sale, but that didnt work out.

The herb, however, is a different matter and is available from quite a few online ethnobotanical suppliers. Maya (maya.yage.net) and Cielo (cielo.yage.net) to name but two.

--andy

Guest reville

you mean syn. banisteriopsis rusbyana? ive read a bit about it here and there but i didnt know it was here.Are you looking for it or just looking to discuss it?

yep, rusbyana..

was under the impression that this plant was sorta being passed around a little in smaller circles...

im not really after dried herbs..

what do you know about cultivation/propagation?

ashley

That circle is VERY small. I know of a couple of people who have it and aren't willing to part with it just yet. I am sure it will take another year or so to hit the tading market.

HA! ...and 12 years later...

• Like 3

Be aware of Kiwiboancaya, he had and has many wrong identified plants and now he didn't add a picture from his allegedly Diplopterys cabrerana.

• Like 1

This species is very tricky, I had one, 10 years ago and it died after 6 months because at that time I hadn't as much experience and equipment for growing tropical plants than I have now.

I was also searching for it too the last months because I think that it would survive now in my greenhouse.

I'm very sceptical if the Chaliponga from Kiwiboancaya is correctly identified, so I didn't make an order.

This was the plant 10 years ago:

106nghh.jpg

The real diplo does not propagate easily. No one I know of in brazil or peru has ever seen it set seed. So the only method is by cuttings. The big plants are in the jungle and getting cuttings out has been very difficult. There are a couple of hundred in 2 nurseries in the USA, but I presume those are being used to build bigger numbers before being offered. I also know of someone in brazil who was getting a few plants a year from marcotting.

Mindperformer, is that plant from the seed we shared?

I am curious actually how plants like this would make it to Australia in any form but seed...doesn't customs have some kind of a blanket ban on all live plants and plant material? (sorry if that's a stupid question)

Edited by gtarman

Mindperformer, is that plant from the seed we shared?

No, within my recollection we didn't share Diplopterys-seeds. It was from a nursery in the USA, they've sent me a rooted cutting.

I think so too, that all traded seeds displayed as such, are not Diplopterys cabrerana. It is possible that most plants are sterile.

I am curious actually how plants like this would actually make it to Australia in any form but seed...doesn't customs have some kind of a blanket ban on all live plants and plant material? (sorry if that's a stupid question)

I'm not from Australia ;-)

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

^^ Of course :)

I wasn't referring to your plant specifically...just throwing out a general question for anybody who might know.

No, within my recollection we didn't share Diplopterys-seeds. It was from a nursery in the USA, they've sent me a rooted cutting.

Hey mindperformer, can you let me in on what nursery in the USA has rooted d cabrerana cuttings available? Thanks!

that was about 10 years ago and I really don't know the seller anymore. I am also sure that they don't have cuttings anymore because I am searching the internet routinely for it, because I don't have this species anymore. It needs broad experience with rainforest plants to grow Diplopterys.

Now i would put it in my greenhouse when there is a seller shipping to europe, so it will have ideal conditions.

I'm still sceptical about Kiwiboancaya because he added no picture from his plants.

Edited by mindperformer

Thanks for the info mindperformer! Hopefully I'll get some good experience with rainforest plants by the time some vines are available stateside :scratchhead:

I think that Australian customs has it listed as a prohibited import on their website. Can't think why though. No weed potential if it doen't set seed.