The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

pereskiopsis cuttings? how to root?

Would I treat these the same as a trich... or just dip in hormones, put strait into ground and water? the cutting I have is quite dehydrated, so I want to to be getting wet asap... any help would be much appreciated!! thanks

I don't think there is any need for hormones. I just cut them off, stick them in some dirt and they do the rest.

If your cutting is badly dehydrated it may need some humidity but they seem to be tough little guys.

I don't think there is any need for hormones. I just cut them off, stick them in some dirt and they do the rest.

If your cutting is badly dehydrated it may need some humidity but they seem to be tough little guys.

cut them off so there is a fresh wound?

Hey man, its a piece of piss, just get a smallish pot, take your cuttings (well healed and slightly dehydrated are the fastest and easiest to root), pop am in and water in a day or two later. I wouldnt worry about them dehydrating completely - as long as they are in a cool, sheltered possie, they'll be fine.

Keep em in a shaded position until they have started putting out new growth, then let em go wherever you want. But they grow hella fast, so dont worry about lack of material atm, within a couple months (much moreso in spring/summer) you will have more than enough to cut up for a good 10-20 plants (give or take) :)

I'm pretty sure there is pleny of threads on this already though, so have a search and you will probably find some good teks. :wink:

Hey man, its a piece of piss, just get a smallish pot, take your cuttings (well healed and slightly dehydrated are the fastest and easiest to root), pop am in and water in a day or two later. I wouldnt worry about them dehydrating completely - as long as they are in a cool, sheltered possie, they'll be fine.

Keep em in a shaded position until they have started putting out new growth, then let em go wherever you want. But they grow hella fast, so dont worry about lack of material atm, within a couple months (much moreso in spring/summer) you will have more than enough to cut up for a good 10-20 plants (give or take) :)

I'm pretty sure there is pleny of threads on this already though, so have a search and you will probably find some good teks. :wink:

you know... i put in pereskiopsis as a key word... and got very litttle... thanks for your help guys!!!

I used hormones with most of mine and then just put them in wet soil.

I didn't think much was happening and went to pull one out about 5 days later and ended up pulling a massive clod of soil attatched to it. don't worry if you cant see progress they just like to do their thing for a while before they grow. It's now been 2.5 weeks and they're branching like mad. Admittedly though the ones without the hormones are about half an inch behind in growth than the others but they are just as healthy.

"cut them off so there is a fresh wound?"

Yep, they probably do better if left to heal for awhile, but I have simply been sticking the tips into potting mix straight after cutting them off to do a graft and haven't lost a single one.

I just put my freshly cut pieces into a cup of water on a window sill. takes just over a week for good roots to grow.

chuck them in the pots you want them in and then keep moist, saves repotting :D