The Corroboree
Gardener

Help! I've made my Lophs toxic!

I've just found out a minute ago that I was not supposed to be using a toxic chemical called Fongarid on my Lophs because someone told me that cacti store chemicals for years. Now I'm cactus. I've been using it every time I water the little suckers. THEY MUST BE FULL OF IT.

Is there anything I can do to reverse the damage? I've just mail-ordered an organic fungicide called Microkill or Citrofresh (it changed its name) and I'm going to buy some hydrogen peroxide, but I'm worried it's all too late and now I've made my Lophs toxic. <sad sigh>

Edited by Gardener

why were you using it every water?

sorry to hear of your situ. maybe you could start again with some others and sell me yours cheap ;) :P

I was using fungicide every time I watered because I was worried about fungus rot. All my seedling Lophs died of rot and one of my Hoodias got basal rot, so after that I just kept adding fungicide to everything that touched my cacti and succulents.

Ain't sellin 'em tho! Love my baby buttons!

Anyone got any ideas how to purify them?

why were you using it every water?

sorry to hear of your situ. maybe you could start again with some others and sell me yours cheap ;) :P

Edited by Gardener

time ;)

Yup and considering we are talking Lophs you have plenty of it to spare :rolleyes:

Hi Gardener, I wouldn´t expect them to become free of the chemicals again. No matter what you do, You probably shouldn´t consume them before the afterlife :rolleyes: bye Eg

:( <Gloom> Does anyone know of a source for info on cacti storing/getting rid of toxic chemicals out of themselves? The Internet says cacti are used to detoxify water, but that's not really what i was looking for...

Edited by Gardener

Just grow them & dont eat the beautiful little things!

These heaps of other faster growing Cacti to wet your taste buds & conquer the Brain Police!

Fongarid (Furalaxyl) will break down after a couple of months in soil. It has a low toxicity anyway. MSDS

How would the breakdown compare when in the cactus?

You right cisumevil, no way I'm going to eat my babies, luv them too much, those cute lil buttons.

Kenny Blister thanx for the MSDS link about Fongarid and what happens to things that eat it. Dont u hate it when u read about how they feed poisons to dogs caged in labs I love dogs, how could they do that to them, those scientists are sadists.

Anyway now I've decided to go completely organic with fungicides and everything, because it's better for the garden and for the world.

(Saving the world... AGAIN!!)

Just grow them & dont eat the beautiful little things!

These heaps of other faster growing Cacti to wet your taste buds & conquer the Brain Police!

Im sorry to hear about your Lophs Gardener, but thanks for the thread, i was possibly about to make the same mistake.

I was tossing up between Fongarid and H202, the latter of which is a lot cheaper. Since there's another thread about Torsten dosing himself with H202 for over a year, i gather that's fairly safe. He sounds fairly sane. If i eventually traded or sold them i wouldn't want to be responsible for what someone else possibly would do.

By the way i read that H2O2 is good for preventing root rot because the plants need their oxygen and the extra 'O' comes in handy. I'm thinking of adding a little H202 to all my waters now, of both the cacti seedlings and all the orchids. I wonder if anyone else thinks this is a good idea? Orchids NEED oxygen by the way and root rot is my current scourge.

Undergrounder, you can safely use food grade sulfur or copper oxychloride (from any BigW gardening section) as a powder fungicide. H2O2 I doubt will do the trick.

Peroxide is rapidly decomposed in the body by catalase because it is so bad for cells.

Yes the cacti will store the compounds but it wont be forever, hell I reckon most would be decomposed after a year.