Therefore

∴ svarte gærninger ∴

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • Climate or location:Shroomville, Subland

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

HI all,

A german friend just sent me some pics detailing his technique for growing mushrooms.
For clarity i shall relay the details in 1st person.

First of all get 2 bags of bags of unpopped popcorn from the local supermarket. Any kind will do.
Get a large pot and empty the popcorn into it. Fill with water until it covers the corn and place the lid on. Leave for 2 days with no peeking. This is to hatch any nastie germs or bacteria that me be lurking in the corn.

After two days drain the water and fill with fresh water.
Crank up the heat and let it boil for 2 hours. The hard shell of the corn should be starting to split by this time.
You don't want the corn to be too hard and you don't want it to be mushy. But better that it be hard than soft. Soft wet corn will rot which has happened to me.

Drain the corn with a strainer. While it is straining put some paper towels into a deep bowl. Put the corn into the bowl so that the paper will absorb any excess mosture.

Sterilize some jars by boiling them in the big pot (once you have washed it after boiling the corn). I like to leave my jars boiling for 1-2 hours. I use cucinaware canning jars as they are readily available and easy to use. Not really a big fan as the caps rust on these buggers. Wash your hands with rubbing alcohol. You can buy it from the chemist and it has a nice pic of an alligator on it.
Turn off the heat and remove the jars with tongs. Fill jars 7/8s witht the boiled popcorn.

Posted Image

With some aluminum foil make a concave cup shape that just touches the corn.
With a sharp object poke some holes.

Posted Image

Go to The $2 shop or Budget Beaters and buy a pillow that has polyfill in it. Rip open the pillow and place a nice afro sized wad into the top of the jar like so...

Posted Image

Pack in the foil and place another piece of foil over the top. Screw on the canning jar ring.

Posted Image

It should be nice and firm and look like this when you place your finger on it.

Posted Image

Place your jars in your big pot and fill with water so it is halfway up the jars. Boil, boil, and more boil for 1.5-2 hours.

Posted Image

Remove the jars from pot.

Clean your hands with some rubbing alcohol again.

Spray some Glen20 around for good luck.

Heat sterilise your spore/myc syringe with a hot gas flame. Cool it down with some rubbing alcohol squuirted on absorbant paper.

I use the KARO TEK for myc syringes. Do a search for it or go HERE

Insert your syringe into your jar and squirt some juice in.

Cover your jar with another piece of al foil and leave your jars in a cool dark place.

Well that concludes Part.1 of the How to grow mushrooms using popcorn. I hope you found it usefull.

Grain is a lot better than cakes and allows for more shrooms. I was planning to do the PF tek until i saw the light and did grains. Next step is to use manure instead of verm and coir.

This is a shroom that was grown this way:

Posted Image

Also a nice shroom-being i found graffed in redfern

Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by .:. Greencavefloat .:., 19 February 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#2 XipeTotec

XipeTotec

the flayed one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  • Climate or location:cool-temperate

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:15 AM

lucky your German friend had an australian 20 cent piece... to help us get an idea of size, if it was a 20 Deutschmark piece, I would have been stuffed.
and when I die, and when im gone, there will be one child born, and this world will carry on.

#3 Ace

Ace

Shaman's Apprentice

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • Climate or location:Temperate

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

Awesome tek so far GCF! I havent seen much work on the popcorn method. And the polyfill in the top is a good idea too. Any ideas how you could do the same sort of thing for regular drinking glasses and pasta jars? I assume this is strictly for gas exchange to enourage fast colonisation and better fruits?

Thanks again man - looking forward to seeing results :)

#4 mu!

mu!

mu!

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Climate or location:Victoria

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

More good stuff from the caveman :shroomer: Cant wait for the 2nd installment.

the best part was when he showed the mushroom.. :drool2:
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coastguard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable - PIHKAL

#5 Therefore

Therefore

∴ svarte gærninger ∴

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

lucky your German friend had an australian 20 cent piece... to help us get an idea of size, if it was a 20 Deutschmark piece, I would have been stuffed.

Yeah it was lucky wasn't it. But in fact he is a numismatist and is so interested in our Australian currency.
Heavens to Betsy if anyone thought i would be actively involved in any illegal activities of the mushroom kind.

Phew, glad i sorted that out.

more to come in the coming weeks.

#6 Jonny Deformed

Jonny Deformed

Dr Awesome

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Climate or location:sub tropics

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

Respect.
Respect to the up most highest.

Nice work.

~Out of the bottomless pit that is The Compound~ 

spiral staircase incident

dubious compound

shady operation

I am the angel with the scab wings hard drug face wanna powder my nose.

I will deflower the freshest crop dry up all the wombs with my rock and roll sores.

#7 Therefore

Therefore

∴ svarte gærninger ∴

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

oh and spore print comp soon....keep your eyes open

#8 Therefore

Therefore

∴ svarte gærninger ∴