The Corroboree
PD.

North east Vic. dung lovers.

Could also be one of the species such as Psilocybe merdica

actually if its got black spores its a Panaeolus.

thanks guys :)

Passive, the pins did look quite similar to those you mentioned, but it's hard to tell as those semi mature fruits look nothing like this one, but it's a possibility. Thankyou :)

Ive ID'd both of the ones you posted me now. The first is Psilocybe subcoprophilia (sp?) and the second one - the active one - is an unknown species.

It is definately not a variety of Ps.subaeruginosa (it lacks the abundant lechniform, lageniform or capitate cystidia of Ps.subaeruginosa variants) and it also had a 3-spored basidia.

The cystidia that Inski found were one sublageniform c.cystidia with an abrudt apex, and then long skinny finger-like ones. The pluerocystidia were freaky - pear-shaped with a large round pigmented end.

The cystidia ive found after examining all the specimens are quite weird. of the Pleurocystidia, there are long brown-pigmented ones like fingers, and the rest are classic ventricose/rostrate (or mucronate) - as in fat triangular ones that taper to an abrupt point. Most of the cystidia are also VERY small compared to most cystidia.

I think the most important point was that there isnt one typical subaeruginosa cystidia other than the sublageniform cystidia found by Inski.

Ive posted photos on the shroomery, but despite this mushrooms similarity to subaeruginosa macroscopically i am 99% certain that it is not subaeruginosa!

Ill upload a few pics in teh gallery here as well.

:o

Thanks BM, and thanks to inski also.

Hopefully next season there will be alot more for you to work with :wink: .

:scratchhead: So will this unknown species require a name BM?

Yeah i think a few more specimens would really be required so we could get a few photos of consistent cystidia shapes. Usually you get one or two types, but with this, Inksi found three, and I found other ones that were even weirder. Some of the specimens i had used unfortuntaely got a little eaten with bugs while drying so im not sure if that had some bearing on this.

I dont have a micrometer so i couldnt do any measurements, and Inski's photos are much clearer than mine - as im still getting used to my new scope.

I did actually find one forked cystidia - so its still slightly possible that it is Ps.tasmaniana, but i doubt it.

As a new species, someone recognised would need to write it up in a publications - Chang or Fuhrer would do it Im sure, but they would need a few collections - usually around 8 type specimens from separete locations, although this isnt always true and is often impossible with rarer species.

The problem is that that author gets to choose the name and cannot name it after themselves, and descriptive names like subaeruginosa, etc are pretty fashionable... ;)

The peice of dung that had the unknowns fruiting from it has been sitting outside under a tree since i brought it home. About a week ago i remembered it and gave it a dunk in a bucket of water because it had completely dried out, i had a look this morning and to my suprise i found this,

img0140rn3.jpg

Too small to tell yet but hopefully it keeps growing, its prolly just a P. coprophila

keep watering that sucker just in case mate - if you could get another fresh fruit we would be laughing. Id have it ided for sure.

Just thought i'd add this for future ID for folks finding the same, I think the dung specimen I posted was more than likely Stropharia semiglobata. Could be wrong, but macroscopically (yeah not the best) it's looking good.

Just thought i'd add this for future ID for folks finding the same, I think the dung specimen I posted was more than likely Stropharia semiglobata. Could be wrong, but macroscopically (yeah not the best) it's looking good.

nice work fellas, Psilocybe daemonii?? :lol:

I think the dung specimen I posted was more than likely Stropharia semiglobata.

As are the non actives in my first post, most likely, the light grey coloured gills on the semi-mature fruit is common to stropharia. I was a bit confused as most of the Stropharia semiglobata i find in the bush is very tall and skinny, anyone that has ever looked for subs in the bush would have seen these lil fellas. Always growing out of shit and commonly a similar colour cap as a sub but the stem has this see through glutinous coating. Anyways, apparently the size of this mushroom is very variable due to the amount of food in the substratum, so the bigger and richer the poo, the bigger the fruit. There ya go :)

mr004888_sm.jpg

picture by Bruce Fuhrer

Funky stuff amigos, have been seeing alot of these around many a sub patch for the past few years. always thought they looked cool