The Corroboree
MORG

Vipassana

Thanks cubism!

As far as i know goenka learnt in burma, i dont much else, just jumping in, some friends recommended it and it felt right, the more i read into it the more i realise the challenge. Im not certain but i dont think there is walking meditation. There are breaks during the day however.

I plan to quit tobacco after my current pouch, caffeine soon, any habits, even slow down on sab.

Start sitting straight without a back rest, start meditating, hopefully for an hour a day and prepare as much as possible..

Cool man. Sounds like your going about it just fine.

When you start meditating try not to set time limits or you just end up thinking about how long you've been going and that sort of defeats the purpose. Sitting longer just comes naturally with time and practice.

Just remembered 10 mins of good meditation is much more productive than an hour of forced meditation.

• Like 2

Hi there,

I've done Vipassana at Pomona twice. They have a crapload of cushions but they won't really help.

Most important thing to consider during the 'strong determination' meditation is that they do not encourage 'extreme' behaviour. For instance I dedicated myself to not moving or shifting posture during these 'strong determination' sittings, and as a result I pinched a nerve in my foot that resulted in tingling and numb toes for about 3 months after the retreat. When I told them about it they said I should have shifted position as they do not encourage extreme behaviour, despite the fact that they do tell you not to move or shift position.

I am keen to do a 3 day retreat I'v signed up and bailed a few times now.

• Like 3

Never been on a retreat myself but here's some suggestions from my meditation practice which is twice a day 30-50 mins each sitting. I follow a Theravada style which is pretty much the same as in Burma which is where Goenka learnt isn't it? He learnt from Mahasi Sayadaw didn't he?

Goenka's teacher was Sayagyi U Ba Khin

• Like 1

Some other questions

Ill be practicing at the pomona centre

Do they supply cushions or is it best to bring your own?

What type of cushion/mat/tool is recommended/accepted?

Can you sit how you want or do you have to sit how the teacher says?

Whats the most comfortable position, in your opinion?

you can sit however you like, they don't recommend you lay down or sit in a chair unless you have to for genuine physical reasons.

as far as i know they usually have stool things you can use that may be helpful. i guess you should just experiment with different positions until you find the best for you.. bare in mind that basically any position you choose will hurt after a while until your body & mind adapts to it so the idea is not so much finding very comfortable position but finding the position that hurts least after a while :P eventually you'll figure it out!

they provide pillows & blankets etc

my preferred position it to put a high pillow under my bum & legs in a semi-lotus type position with my knees the lowest part of my body. hard to explain but it works for me & i can sit for an hour or more easily without pain.. everyone is different though so you'll just have to figure it out, you'll be ok :)

• Like 1

Thanks! And im glad to hear you bailed a few times mesq as i did to, lol..

Didnt want to but something got in the way and needs to be resolved first.

Hopefully theyll accept me again in the future and not think i stuffed them around. Gave them plenty of notice..

In the mean time ill sit at home until i get the opportunity to do the course again..

Thanks for the responses

Edited by mystical oyster

Yeah hopefully!

I really think I need a 3 dayer just need to commit to it... It's funny how there is so much resistance to a 3 day one... maybe it's because it takes up to day 7 of the 10 day before you finally feel comfortable.