The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
katu

Any ideas?

Hey all. So I noticed this on an small Echinopsis of mine recently. Wasn't initially concerned as although it is somewhat unsightly it didn't and still doesn't seem to be causing any real issues. But once it started to spread to other plants in my collection I began to worry just a little. I isolated the effected plants and treated with lime sulphur thinking it was a fungal thing? Lime sulphur seemed to have no effect so I hit it with chems, which is a last resort for me, mancozeb specifically and began searching for answers. I have been searching google pics, this and other forums for weeks and can't for the life of me seem to find any info! Any ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers!!!

post-14388-0-65895500-1397723480_thumb.j

post-14388-0-56622000-1397723529_thumb.j

post-14388-0-33329300-1397723572_thumb.j

post-14388-0-83396600-1397723615_thumb.j

post-14388-0-65895500-1397723480_thumb.jpg

post-14388-0-56622000-1397723529_thumb.jpg

post-14388-0-33329300-1397723572_thumb.jpg

post-14388-0-83396600-1397723615_thumb.jpg

post-14388-0-65895500-1397723480_thumb.jpg

post-14388-0-56622000-1397723529_thumb.jpg

post-14388-0-33329300-1397723572_thumb.jpg

post-14388-0-83396600-1397723615_thumb.jpg

Let´s rule out some Things first. Cold? The color looks a bit like it´s gotten wet and cold feet. There´s webs all over there... is this actually spiderweb or are these spider mites? If so, it´s one of the biggest infestations I´ve ever seen. What soil do you use? Could be root rot and it spreads sometimes. Check the soil very closely. Would repott all Plants in Question in mineralistic soil. There´s a type of bug that´s basically miniature/seethrough worms. They are rare, but quite dangerous.

Edited by Evil Genius

Not sure, could be some type of scale, have you tried brushing it off?

Edited by interbeing

Hey E.G. Thanks for quick reply. Not cold. The webbing is most definitely spider webs. I live in north qld but at elevation, so am technically in the tropics but weather is obviously more temperate. Point being my potting mix is more of a mineral mix than most people would use for Trichocereus.sp. Lets say even parts coarse sand, 5mm gravel, perlite, and potting mix. I wash the minerals and sift for fine particles and sift the potting mix for bark. I also water my plants very sparingly due to humidity. Maybe once a month in the growing season. The plant "feels" fine, not soft or squishy, etc. Will pull up plants in question and check for pests. Whats this bugs name?

Hey interbeing, not scale, brush my plants down wt toothbrush every few weeks and treat with lime sulphur once a month or so. Sprayed the mofo with metho then wiped down but markings remain.

• Like 1

It´s called Nematoda. They are rare so i think your little dots might be bite marks, nutrient deficiency or viral. How many other Plants are affected? Can you show some more? Maybe it helps to see it on another Plant.

Just checked some books. Fungal comes very close. Some cause spots. Cicadas also cause similar damage. You don´t have them where you live, do you?

Will take some pics of other infected plants tomorrow E.G. That one is the worst though. Could be nutrient deficiency, I use organic fertilizers, seasol, fish emulsion and have been running into some serious issues regarding hydrophobia of late. Was thinking viral myself but i'm no expert. Off topic, nice work on trichocereus.net, looks fantastic! I'm assuming your the one that has got it together?

Hmm I do have cicadas where I live. I also just recently had an outbreak of little grasshoppers on a marigold patch very close to the cactus patch...

definitely not cold in north queensland, i'm no expert on tropical fungi but it looks pretty fungal to me..

That's what thought initially paradox, just hasn't responded to anti fungal treatments is all. Still, that's not to say it isn't fungal. Man I was cleaning mould of a glass topped table last wet season :BANGHEAD2:

Thanks because if the tricho website. Yes, but i had so much help from many cool people and the project just begun.

It might really be Fungal. Havent seen this particular one yet but there are so many. I´ll send you some pics from my books in a day or two so you can compare. Looks also a bit like the cicada damage so you can check them out yourself. Rather leaning towards fugal too. Please remind me if i forget to send the pics.

Thanks heaps E.G. much appreciated, pics would be great whenever you have time. Thanks again!

fungal I reckon something with the humidity I get it on a couple tricks particularly bridgesii/ bridge hybrids. It doesn't kill them. Is it in the ground? I only get it in the plants in the ground.

G'day stillman, all my Trichs are in pots. But yeah your bang on about it showing up on bridgesii/bridge X's. In fact i'm yet to see it show up on another species. I do find they're the first species to show any signs of that seeping black rot during prolonged periods of high humidity, so yeah u might be onto something.

I purchased some T. spachianus cuts from Florida about a year ago, every single one had very similar black spots when they arrived. New growth in my climate seems to be free of it, so it's very possible it's humidity and fungal related. Doesn't seem to be slowing the plants down at this point, but the new growth without them seems healthier and greener.

I don't really know the conditions of the previous grower though, so nutrient deficiency and pests could still have contributed to their formation

That's interesting Myeloblast, the fact you sourced those cuts from the tropics I mean. It was towards the end of the wet season up here when spots showed up so yeah you might be onto something! Once again thanks for all the input guys.. Much appreciated