The Corroboree

geez louise... peeps taking stuff awful literal round here.

i think there's a lot of merit in paying attention to the phases of the moon - not for any scientific or rational reason (yeah thanks, i know the density of reflected photons coming from a cold celestial body ain't gonna make a huge impact on my day/night) but for daily ritual and mythic awareness.

but then, that's just me. it's kinda ridiculous for me to expect anyone else to give credence to my idiosyncratic beliefs. if only the steiners were a little less dogmatic, eh?

all i know is, EGA was during the last quarter, and so was nye (just barely). both were times of huge transformation for me, and the experiences i had were priceless and immense. obviously they could occur at any time, but the character of them is influenced by the phase of the moon - if only by my expectations. but isn't that what ritual is (partially) about - harnessing the power of the unconscious & subconscious to intensify experience?

but isn't that what ritual is (partially) about - harnessing the power of the unconscious & subconscious to intensify experience?

Bingo, considering that many cultures have conducted rituals based on the what appear in our skies for thooousands of years. I don't think its the moons gravitational pull thats effecting the juices in our brain, but the psyche and the collective symbolism thats been associated with the moon.

Because the moon may not be an activating condition of lunacy, shouldn't mean that people remove its long standing symbolism because "oh well, that theory about the moon is wrong, it's really just a rock that looks like cheese"

...because its lighter, its safe to assume more critters are awake or stirring? that would mean the level of consciousness activity in the region copping full moonlight would be higher, which makes for a more vibrant night.

so for night tripping, the vibrancy of the environs (esp. outdoors) would probably flux with the moon cycle.. so makes sense to party under full moon, with all the life-buzz of sleepless critters and bugs around..

ahh,animals... a lot of nocturnal critters seem less active around full moons,IME, maybe a safety thing (slow moving or poorly defended fur balls worry a bit about getting eaten) , save the more predatorial types that take advantage of the light to knock off the odd straggler..(owls, frogmouths, foxes etc). if extra light meant no sleepytime, then inner city possums would be crazed from sleep dep with all those street lights and flouros around... though maybe that's half OUR problem, haha.

lol, I don't remember anyone saying that noone was in any way "allowed" to attach or hold a mystical approach or symbolism to the moon, and I don't recall anyone saying that it has zero effect on people either? Noone said anything to deny its enormous value to those that hold it dear for ritual or dogmatic purposes, that I could find anyway. Though I will say that just because a culture holds a certain something to mean a certain something else,for any number of thousands of years, doesn't mean that the rest of us have to agree or be swayed in our own beliefs about it. Glad to hear your last quarter workings went well, but it doesn't change much for anyone else.

Nothing anyone else has said really has fuck all to do with the credence of your beliefs, or otherwise, and we wouldnt know what you believe if you hadnt have told us. And if thousands of years of anything meant anything in and of itself, then we might as well all line up to get our cocks slit lengthwise, some teeth knocked out, conduct mandatory gangbangs, and perhaps work out which of we merry Sabsters are next in line for "promotion" on the bloodied altar halfway up the nearest step pyramid.Bags me first go on the obsidian knife! The old ways can be such because theyve held true and applicable forever, or they can be the old ways because we do something different now.

Having shared your belief with us, I can't imagine anyone calling anyone deluded, foolish or in anyway lacking in common sense for holding what is a widely and commonly held point of view. I certainly couldn't find anyone that said anything even vaguely that could be taken way out of context in any kind of offensive, derisive or inflammatory way at all... it is entirely possible to be offended without anyone trying to offend you. Noone detracted from the ritual value of the moon, which makes sense as the thread didnt start about that anyway, it started about using plants pure n simple... noone mentioned incense, robes, big pointy sticks or any of that, let alone tried to take any of it away from anyone else. or did you just jump online in the mood to feel persecuted?

Personally, I think the moon is great, if only for contrast with the sun... and if you ever want to really, really fire up some poser pagan types, dare to remind em that the moon is reflecting sunlight anyway ! or ask em what kind of adaptations theyd have to make to their ritual system if they found themselves in space, or on the moon itself... maybe we should be asking lunar landing astronauts if they suddenly turned psychic, turned vegan and found they could control weather with their eyebrows :P

Believe what you want, but please don't take the snippy tone towards those (saying "peeps" is a nice touch, you can get in twubble naming names eh) that dare not swallow it themselves! The who is more spiritutal v who is more practical comes up a fair bit around here Puck, and noone ever wins as such... you'll find most of us swing between the two poles and the remainder see those poles as a closed circle anyway... so I can happily talk to chooks but don't think a tree really cares if you cut a branch off it... others are happy to eat the chooks but wouldn't harm the tree... we are all about as "grounded" as we are "spacey" when alls said n done, and the "boring old man" in one thread is often the "ranting feral dreamer" in another. Anyrate, few of us seem to think that having a certain amount of esoteric awareness or belief means we have to instantly accept any and all forms thereof, or never bring up anything practical in a space cadet of a thread ever again for fear of making someone else feel we're calling em "silly". We're not. We're just chucking ideas and text and information around for a giggle. If we never said anything in case it offended someone, this would be one shitboring forum. though the search engine would have an easier time of things thats for sure.

The only people I can think of that would be offended by this thread would be those that are guilty of (knowingly?) passing on misconceptions and urban myths, and who take exception to being called out on their bullshit artistry. Who doesn't! :P

I personally attach the rebirth concepts a lot of people get out of last to first quarter moon phases to sunset-to-sunrise, and it works for me. Others will differ, and theres no "proof " either way.. just a matter of how "mythopoetic" you want your life to be I spose, as has been said many times before. There is no wrong or right about it, and noone suggested for a second that anything should have any ongoing symbolism removed. Simply that it IS just that...mysticism and symbolism, that is often backed up (in a way) by essentially incorrect factoids, that people try to add weight to by claiming that "no my mums a nurse n she told me" or "well everyone knows...". In this case everyone DOES know... that a lot of it is bullshit, at least in terms of the "pseudoscience".

I wonder how anyone could possibly be offended at merely being reminded that, by some standards, their beliefs are ... their beliefs? Or is there something else at work here... are we naysayers (or at least not-quite-like-that sayers) just being made patsies for the puckster being in a grump today? "yeah, thanks...."... yeh, right.

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.

Democritus

I really should make this as my signature or something.

:ana: Am offended by everything i see after leaving my front door, on general principle. Life sux for me.

Serious, lol at your post Vert - never has someone taken such care to assuage my feelings of persecution. It is most kind. Wish you were around during my bad trip... No, seriously i harber no such feelings, but now a vague paranoia about coming across as a narcissistic drama-queen! Can you help me out with that one, pls?

Request for permission not to be taken seriously, sir.

haha, s'alright bud. just breath deeply and repeat after me "lee harvey oswald, acting alone, murdered president kennedy".

VM

haha, s'alright bud. just breath deeply and repeat after me "lee harvey oswald, acting alone, murdered president kennedy".

VM

:D

I like you're re-assurance that truthful 'factoids' are often quite mysterious and stranger than fiction anyway. Unless that is a fiction, and our reality and our factoids are merely assumptions anyway. And anyone claiming an authoritative opinion on what reality IS.. is stupid! :D there i said it.

The way i see it, reality exists because it does... it is a multi-faceted higher dimensional reality -watever the fuck that means.. actually it could be that... There is one holographically self similar reality that can be interpreted in infinite ways. and that is our personal journey through the transpersonal. our Subjective experience of the all.

What this means is that someone could be in an angry mood, get in the car turn on the radio and hear an angry song, and go wow, cool coincidence.

OR learn a new word and hear it all the time and think wow that must've always been part of the background noise that i can only hear just NOW because i know the word.

Or attribute celestial cycles of any sort (moon, zodiac etc...) to something going on in their reality and think Goddamn that was spot fucking on! Just now as I read it, and i never read these, but when I do they always seem to be about me!!!

And reach the conclusion his mind is great at selective association.

Another person can go through all the exact same experiences and attribute a 'mytho-poetic' continuum that interconnects the subjective with a consensus 'objective' view... which is really just shared experience, there is no objectivity, there is consensus and if these experiences transcend personal boundaries and are experienced collectively, perhaps the consensus view will shift from a reductionist faith of 'selective association'

It seems more meaningful when the songs on the radio reflect more than simple moods, and the message is much more about the specifics of your life at that time... music and lyrics are maybe the easiest thing to associate your own way. But thats what creativity is doing all the time, reuniting subconscious thoughts shared by the all, into a phsyical vessel that can communicate the interconnection.

The question remains, if these occurences happen, why is it? just because... why does something exist instead of nothing? just because? probably, but why??????

thats the meaning for the individual to find out. Reductionism is stable ground to stand on, for a stable state of mind, any novel (and potentially scary) ideas? reduce them to the order we know and love...

Interconnection is a headfuck and telepathic thinking is alien. the 'other' is scary. FEAR - For Everything A Reason.

Forget

Everything

And

Remember.

^^^that is the very reason for fear. To forget. Love is a beautiful reminder, and I'm getting all Donnie Darko again.

hmm back to duality, YES I agree. It is a universal reality it seems. Individuality in Infinite incarnations is also the reality. So while there is a polarity to all, there is a defined, unique quality to everything also.

That i think is the problem most people face, the inability to unite two or more seemingly disparate ideas. It cannot be understood that something is something, whilst being something else. It's like particle superposition, a paradox of reality that ... is true.

Finally I'll say this, to some the universe may seem like a system of automated processes with no soul or meaning. To others every process was reverse engineered first by the meaning, and causality through time flows all directions for this to happen.

Like Vert said, more or less, neither belief can disprove the other, and all beliefs are TRUE to the individual. Even psychotics are in reality, they just don't share it with the order established by consensus opinion.

Finally Vert.. WTF man!?!

puck simply said peeps are taking things too literally. All the talk on the effect of the moon was based on physical cause/effect, when the psychological influence of the moon is much more likely to have a mental cause/effect based on our years of ritual --> then superstition --> a common belief of 'something' being different during full moons.

Nowhere did he mention any kind of persecution of his belief, especially considering he was just then proposing an alternative view to yours, how could you pre-persecute him before he made his views known?

To that elaborate post as a reply to something apparently misunderstood by you, [possibly] by some kind of defensive projection, holding onto your own view of reality that maybe YOU feel is threatened with the influx of 'mystical' belief on this forum - I say.. WTF? very articulate, but WTF?

haha it was funny, is all good though, people tend to misconceive something, and then run with it. I know I'm guilty too.

Edited by El Duderino

haha, yep me and mystical just dont get on at all. Or maybe we do, and I'm just allergic to the Big Pointy Stick approach to it all :P To the extent that I took any kind of exception at all.... which has fuck all to do with me feeling "challenged" in anyway at all, but it wasnt a bad kinda guess I spose... it was with the "yeah, thanks, I know..." bit, and the vaguely implied assumption that because I don't believe a full moon ups the crazy rate much at all, I MUST therefore credit it with no influence in any way at all, over anyone, ever.Or that I have never heard of others approach to it, more than likely of course given the zealous secrecy in which the Mysteries of the Sacred Gro-Bulb are kept... It's about as dense a thing as I could think of really... kinda like saying "well I hear you dont eat red meat, therefore you dont eat red fruit OR realise/believe that anyone else out there just happens to like red meat."

if it wasnt for "but then, that's just me. it's kinda ridiculous for me to expect anyone else to give credence to my idiosyncratic beliefs. if only the steiners were a little less dogmatic, eh?: - Puck

i wouldnt have bothered at all, but one whiff of that hands up palms out trembling bottom lip someone tripped over my magic rock kinda routine, and I feel like pulling heads off troll dolls. I mean, really, crack a teary about it why dont ya mate. Lodge a complaint with the equal opp. commission, go on thorazine or see a monk, SOMEONE MENTIONED SCIENCE!!! arrgggghhhh the pain the pain make it stop make it stop. Though it did stop, and was sorted, til you felt like holding someones hand or waving the Potting Mix Stained Trakky Daks of Faith around the room, Xipe.

There have been three great crimes against the faithful in history...the murder of jesus, the self immolation of that monk from the RATM cover, and everything I have ever said to the slightly precious.bummer for me.moreso for the monk, of course, but that was a good album so it wasnt in vain.

Someone asked about using plants and moon cycles, we all started posting our thoughts or info about moon cycles. There ya have it. Whats the problem? obviously if they only meant "i was wondering if ppl could fill me in on some info pinched from the nearst Wiccan Wall Chart about what moon means what, ta thatd be great" then thats what they woulda got, helpful mob and all... but thats not what they wanted, from sounds of it.

As for feeling challenged by the "mystic influx", thats rot, but it aint a bad guess once again..actually, its quite a shit guess, and I try to avoid using the classic online BS of "transference" but it might be worth looking into. I have my spirit, and my mysticism, neither of which has ever felt challenged by anything but itself. Maybe im spoilt by growing up with people that accept some trees are a bit evil and some rocks are more talkative than others... upsides of inheriting an earth based set of principles rather than having to cobble one together from burkes backyard fact sheets and what someone is doing in a jungle on the other side of the world, but I make no apologies for it. I offer no serious explanations.

I certainly dont leap into the middle of a mostly "rational" thread to mention that I feel I'm being left out or somehow maligned before my presence is even known. So far I resist the urge to pop into a mycology thread with "yeah, thanks, I KNOW that its all to do with climate and mycelia but maybe its worth remembering some of us actually happen to think that theyre from the tears of the sister of a drowned hunter, but you know, I know thats all just blackfella bushbunny fluff to you serious sci heads so wah wah wah get me a tissue". yeh. right. suck it up.

dunno bout my ideas being challenged (wow, prepackaged neopaganism, what a CHALLENGING set of thoughts THAT is...you can tell, cos of how unpopular and poorly publicised it all is :rolleyes: you just wait til i get into the paradigm shattering mystery that is the ripening mango, or the great protection to be gained from a Magic Happens sticker on a fume-spilling shitbox), from what I can work out I was trying to avoid a fellow human being feeling overly offended where no offense was intended, or even offered by anyone, because I picked up that THEY felt a bit challenged. Or something. All a bit complicated now innit. anyrate, most of what pops up around here is about as challenging as a dodgy can opener.. itll do the job, its just a bit clunky and frustrating. not to pop the bubble of wow, we're just SO different and weird and alternative man, open your mind or blow it forever, you squares :rolleyes: A few of my fave earth shattering insights from around here are... (please note, if you have a fragile mind or are bound up by the false ties of western convention, these will BLOW YOUR MIND MAN!!!)

" it would seem that the human ear is well tuned to natural sounds"

" some plants smell really lovely and kill germs at the same time as they calm the mind, so theyre good for burning before say mediation or ritual work, etc"

" nature is quite a clever old cow with many tricks up her sleeve"

" sometimes when you get really high you talk to yourself and it soundsl ike god, which is good, cos then god has nothing to say but things you already suspected were true"

" tribal people are great by default, just dont bring up packrape, genital mutilation or forced marriages"

" its mean and unnatural to use nature for things, unless youre a cool tribal person, (see above) then its different"

" I read something weird in a book about brown people that have a lot of plants, and it rung true"

and my favourite of all time

" that guy doesnt seem to be agreeing with me OR humouring me, he must want me put on a cattle truck and gassed to death with baygon... its the only logical next step"

now, I'll allow a few minutes for you all to get some duct tape and stick your skulls back together, such is the force of SABster revelation... k, we all good? hey, you at the back, you put yours on back to front...yep thats it...right... where were we..ah, yes...

I DO get the occasional and mild shits with the all or nothing POV that either you accept the *entire* mystic framework of the human species, or you MUST be dead against it all.... i think some people have had one too many unfinished verbals with their Dad, a science teacher, the local church shakers, or something, so they take up with me where they left off with them on the basis that something I said kinda reminded them of something else someone once said, so the mind fills in the rest. Or maybe some people have a hard time accepting that someone could be relatively aware and conversant with the finer aspects of their faith, and simply doesnt happen to agree or find em all that personally relevant.

I can believe sage clears spiritual space AND know that it kills harmful bacteria in the physical space, neither makes the other more or less true... theyre just different sides the same coin. If I happen to discuss domestos like activity WITHOUT the gratuitious head nod towards the Mystic Tower, that doesnt automatically mean I disagree with the other set of ideas, or that I have never heard of em, or in anyway find them "challenging" ... WHere i get into twubble is that I tend to remember that a coin does have a third side, from which you can see the other two at the same time, and i tend to assume that rational educated clued up adults that are members of a forum like this should probably fill in the blanks with positives rather than instantaly trying to imply some kind of negative.

let me know if theres some kind of checklist i can complete online to "prove my inherent freakiness", then i can either post the link to the results or forward a copy to the relevant anti-authorities... otherwise all i can do is rattle of a lot of family tales and weird things that i happen to think are true, and that would get a bit precious now, wouldnt it?

right,sorted? anyone else need a cuddle or a wowwypop? I have to go jump on a kids sand-synagogue at 11:30 thats all :rolleyes:

VM

Vertmorpheus - what can i say? i think i'm in love :wub:

that ain't masochistic, is it? cuz you do seem like a nice guy beneath that hardened, rationalistic, atheist, dead-from the-neck-down, gruff exterior. :innocent_n: and i think i may have some troll dolls in the cupboard you could borrow...

btw, i have seen that third side of the coin. maybe i just choose to live on one side cuz i've spent so much time on the other, and a change is as good as a holiday. certainly the closest i'll get to the 'other' side (w/o dwelling thereon) is dead square in the middle of the one side, tho' maybe a little clueless as to what's going on over there. certainly the third is viable, it just gets a little lonely i find. it does seem - if here is anything to go by, anyway - that you get peeps from both sides raging against you, cuz 'if you're not with us, you're with the terrorists'.

i think we can agree that a sense of humour is just sometimes appropriate?

man, this thread got so much more interesting than the silly Moon. can we put it in the gripes section now, and continue to our heart's content?

i think we can agree that a sense of humour is just sometimes appropriate?

vert is strongly opposed to humour. According to vert, humour equates to spiritual death. :)

Well at least we can rule you two out of the running for "most likely to be drug squad members" but I think I might have to nominate you both for honorary positions at DOCS, what with your amazing deductive powers n all. Xipe is just trying to keep himself amused, but puck... get your hand off it. Sorry, thats a bit indicative of my neurotypical western headtrip, guilting up the idea of harmless self abuse.No, I called that one myself so you don't get the points, sorry. You do seem pretty damned familiar, I have to say. Have we met before somewhere? I do like it when old friends come out around New Years, it cheers me right up!

All the laughter I need comes from realising that wheras you disappear from my world as soon as mozilla does... you guys have to live with yourselves all the time... though maybe it's more fun than I suspect. Probably not, given you've taken time out from your hectic corporate schedules to decide I am several things that I am not, and NOT many things that I am and have been since I can possibly remember. Bugger the specifics. Sorry that sounds a bit "gruff" (if its fluff or gruff though, mark me down for gruff by all means)... I mean "the specifics are currently beyond my functional paradigm but yknow, i'm sure with the right kind of opening and centering I can readily assimilate them should I need them on my spiritual path at some later stage".

Though for the record, my entire extended family and a couple good mates DID get a nice end of the silly season belly laugh at the atheist bit... the gruff bit didnt rate too badly either, but you picked a shitty day for it really as I'm stained all up one side with bright pink paint thanks to a bit of amateur playschool action this morning. If by gruff and dead from the neck down though, you just mean that I make you a bit grumpy, then I guess I have to grant you that for free. I say what I will, if you either can't read or don't think, then that's really more your problem than mine.

Keep the coins, I deal mainly with single use metaphors, it's more hygienic. As for humour, I can and do laugh my arse off (my maniacal high pitched giggle has been everything short of bottled, believe it or not. Probably not, since it doesnt fit with YOUR worldview, you freethinkers you) at basically anything OTHER than anyone playing pin-the-bullshit on the hairball... feel more than welcome to have all the digs in the world at anything I have ever actually SAID... but keep the oh-so-perceptive stabs in the dark to friendly games of Cluedo. Unless thats just how we do things around here now, in which case may I be the first to imply that you occasionally enjoy beating and sodomising your own nana. I don't think its true, but if we're just pulling things out of the air, it's as good as anything else right? Good if you want this place to turn into the rest of the internet, that is. And I don't think anyone does. So I'll be a big boy and take the nana thing back already. Don't you feel better already?

Unless you get your kicks out of waving the open minded acceptance flag with one hand, and the "I'm a bit of a judgemental but sort of clueless cunt at times and prone to deciding that the human race is neatly divided by an unwavering line the position of which I am free to redefine at any future date should my lifestyle change for any one of a number of fairly predictable reasons etc" one with the other. It does seem to be an increasingly popular pasttime around here. Don't agree? No, they're not just different...they're fuckin WRONG :rolleyes:

I find very little to challenge me in the present company... though I do see some people coping MARVELLOUSLY with their own lil challenges ;) Dunno bout humour being spiritual death either... but I suspect it has to be healthier for the spirit than slinging shit at people on the internet. Mebbe those druids were bigger on schoolyard insults (no wait, UNIVERSITY insults!) than I realised.

I am left wondering how either of you can appreciate the moon's glory past your own radiant glory... or with your heads that far up your arses. If you were on any kind of spiritual journey you'd have sussed out a long time ag othat one of the real big tips on the way is to get past assumptions and try to go with things that you KNOW...rather than the things that would be really convenient to your current petty biases but just don't hold up to any kind of critical process.

As for rationalist... I'll wear that badge with a fair bit of pride actually... rather that than an irrationalist I guess, if we have to be strictly bipolar about all this, and for a bunch of open minded types it seems to be the way things are, suprisingly enough.

Xipe, I just KNOW you were like SO above reading any of that guff, so ask IB for a simplified transcript for the botanically impaired, it summarises the main "points" (well, as close as I get to a point, anyway) and all the big words or things that make you feel like a bit of a sausage have been blanked out. Otherwise, I hope it answers any of your concerns, I won't be bothering with you in the future as i think you're a big enough boy now to maybe go make your own fun instead of just trying to get me to be your little friend.

See, I'm always thinking of my fans :innocent_n:

VM

VM - dude, i'm JOKING.

and i find you really cool. honestly. i hope you can take that, and take it seriously, because your forthrightness and unapologetic enunciation of your beliefs (and we can agree, i'm sure, that all we're talking about are beliefs, yes?) is salutary, if occasionally obnoxious. but that's ok, because you're nowhere near as obnoxious as i am.

and i freely admit to being a judgemental cunt with my head firmly entrenched up my arse. it's ok, i only go there because it's so darn sunny - the real world is just so dark and scary, y'see.

if y'all've noticed, the Moon is lookin pretty cool recently, incidentally. waxing crescent, thin but growing. the time for starting new things, i find. (subjectively)

man, this thread got so much more interesting than the silly Moon.

wtf dude i take serious issue. watch your back :devil:

Edited by ThunderIdeal

ah wouldn't sweat it Puck, noone takes any of these little tanties seriously, least not for long. Well, I don't. Someone somewhere is sure to be carving other peoples nicks into the stock of their rifle or something, but we can't help that. Though living where I do, they might just be my neighbour. <banjos in the distance> usually its a couple of bad days running across each other, I think. Very few people are permanently obnoxious, and those that are usually don't mean to be or don't even realise they are... I have a hard time putting someone in the completely irreparable tool category, really. I'd also rather talk to a thousand well educated bastards than one polite lackwit, if I had to choose. Though you could get the lackwit to do little chores etc, mightn't be so bad.

Mates have commented that my family all in one room, for a bunch of reasonably "aussie" types tends to sound more like a pack of slightly irate Italians, we have bugger all in the way of bad blood because we all just get it out n done with, it's rarely "personal" and we think of it more like exercise. It's like dropping your guts, it happens, it wasn't exactly pleasant for all concerned but you feel better for having done it... it'd be a bit silly to label you a complete leper over it as in a day we will forget why we hate you and just hold onto the hate... silly stuff. The only real rules of that lil fight club are "stick to the facts as you understand them and don't get nasty for fun"... so I can throw shit all day but when it gets into just making things up, that gets old pretty fast.

It took me a month to convince IB I didn't want him skewered and fried, and now we're like two slightly warmed marshmallows jammed into the corner of the bag together, slightly sticky with a coating of our own bitterly amused juices... (shh, you'll frighten the fish) it's like the two old guys from the Muppets or something (with more powdered sugar of course) If anything some of the best blueing to be had is with people that are at least passably similar... I rarely find myself having arguments with teapot collecting elderly Chinese women, but I do seem to have the odd spat with say, slightly hairy and deranged 20 or 30 something planty people. Oddly enough. And most of the really first rate verbals I've ever had, have been with myself haha.

Maybe we can all drag our rocking chairs within arms reach of each other some day and moan about "the way the countrys going" and "what I heard some silly cunt say the other day"... maybe make disparaging remarks about peoples appearance, or something else quietly human.

I read the other day that the earth shifts about 20cm give or take, tidal/Lunar thing, which is fairly cool. I wonder what it does to the spiritual side of earthworms... maybe they all down tools and hold... whatever it is they hold while they chant and get tanked.

thunder I think whoever said the better than the moon thing was being clever and just pointing out that drivelling shit isn't helping anyone appreciate or understand to Moon. Maybe? We're all overly clever dicks, thats half our problem haha. Couldn't pass you an apple without a mumbled self joke about "wish I knew more greek". :lol:

VM

Perhaps the Moon is the earths Aorta. It acts on the mass of water and the mass of air noticeably. But humans are minimal in mass collectively. After all, we're just crawling around on the skin of the earth. But relatively heavy masses of solid and molten stuff in different places within the earth exist that must 'circulate' due to the Moons gravity.

And then, of course, there could be forces other than gravity at work. Forces we humans, in general, don't know about, but nevertheless exist... :devil:

i couldn't find the more recent thread on this topic so i present you with ancient history :D i'd suggest to SAB noobs that there is gold in them there old threads.

just gonna add a line of inquiry which, without checking, i doubt has been explored in a SAB moon phases thread.

i've been learning a lot about magnetic fields and charged particles and junk, i say learning but consider i've been trying to soak in what science has to offer for a few decades now and the idea of electricity in space is more or less absent even though there is plasma and intense magnetic fields everywhere. so i've been soaking this in as fast as i can but i'm a gardener not a professional egghead. even if i had a firm grasp i'm not gonna try explaining everywhere because i waste enough time explaining shit to people who don't care.

people tend to approach this issue from the measurable effects we automatically associate the moon with. it's gravitational effect on us particularly on liquids (which our cells are full of), and the light it reflects. we think if a full moon has physiological effects outside of the tides, it's because of a chain of cause and effect that can be traced back to light or gravity.

consider for a second the "tail" of earth's magnetic field (which is distorted by solar wind). entertain for now the idea that the sun, earth, moon (and the planets) are host to all kinds of strange and wonderful electrical and magnetic interactions which aren't just tangential to "important" phenomenon like gravity and radiation but play in important if not more important role in the solar system.

during a full or nearly full moon (including during an eclipse) the moon is sitting in the tail of earths magnetic field. that in itself opens up a new vista for me but the real kicker is this, whatever it could mean: the lunar nodal period, which is how long it takes to cross the ecliptic north to south and back again, aka a draconic month is 27.21 days, which happens to coincide with the spin of the magnetic sun relative to earth. that's a ratio of 1, and in the case of pluto's moon the ratio is 4. why earth's moon and pluto's moon but none others? maybe because other moons are smaller relative to their host.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

And then, of course, there could be forces other than gravity at work. Forces we humans, in general, don't know about, but nevertheless exist... :devil:

or forces we know about that aren't given the appropriate status

and one other tidbit... water itself is more fascinating than we realise, particularly where it's inside organisms. i'm talking about the bonds it forms with itself and the properties it has under certain condiions, new stuff not what you learned in high school. since water is affected by the moon, it's present in cells (the number of molecules in your body that aren't water is about 1% - water molecules are small) and forms ions readily, it's probably fair to guess that water too plays a part in this.

i hate to hint at things without actually describing them but it's better to hear these things from the professionals instead of letting me clobber them. i'm happy to provide links via pm which could be useful launchpads into your own investigation.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1