The Corroboree
woof woof woof

Ebola. Latest developments thread.

Have you guys seen all the FEMA camps in America I know it has been previously mentioned but fuuuuck there is so many of them. The Agenda is there right in front of all of us. A dude on the shroomery commented saying if they start reporting cases that we should by Hazmat suits and I think that's a pretty fair call

Bunnings :scratchhead:

If they start reporting cases...they will already be sold out...

I don't think its the kinda thing you can casually ware.....short periods only ...O2 mask & tank.......better to go camping up in the mountains for several weeks/months/years.

maybe go to the Chathams

"Saudi suspects case of Ebola infection"

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-08-saudi-case-ebola-infection.html

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

there was an expected case in italy a few months ago, either it was false or it's all pretty hush hush, i can understand the authorities not wanting to report it/cause a scare. i think if it were to pop up in "the west" it'll probably pop up there first due to all the unchecked african immigration ..... then a European gets it then gets on a plane before showing symptoms and flies to australia, only a matter of time now..... :o:drool2::puke::crux::devil:

It's going critical.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/05/soldiers-sierra-leone-liberia-ebola

Soldiers deployed in Sierra Leone and Liberia to contain Ebola outbreak
Troops set up roadblocks to ensure that only health personnel can move in and out of the hardest-hit communities

"As the epidemic entered its seventh month, 700 troops in Sierra Leone began setting up roadblocks to ensure that only health personnel could move in and out of the hardest-hit communities. They include two eastern districts where health workers have sometimes been attacked by residents who fear that treatment centres are causing Ebola to spread."

"British Airways has suspended flights to and from Liberia and Sierra Leone until the end of August to help try to contain the virus. The airline had been flying four times a week to the two countries. BA said customers with tickets on those routes were being offered refunds or the option to rebook flights for a later date."

"Last week the WHO said the outbreak had reached a critical point, and announced a $200m (£120m) emergency fund. On the last day of July, the latest day for which statistics are available, 163 new cases were reported, the WHO said."

Im from the shroomery as well, just came to pop by and see what everyones plan was here. I think if you were going to go into the bush / woods / mountain area it would have to be pretty self sustaining as trying to wander back into a town / city that has dead or infected people would put you at risk and would also need a decontamination area + tons of bleach.

I just hope Australia shuts down its airports and are more strict on the refugee's / boat people who might have come into contact with an infected person or be incubating the viruis themselfs especially if it continues to spread as randomly as it has.

My theory is that it will get down under via an Australian Christian missionary that gets flown here for priority treatment, "sloppy" lazy over sights are common occurrences when things are hectic in hospitals and shifts get stretched, its only a matter of time

"residents who fear that treatment centres are causing Ebola to spread.".....why?

I have heard media suggest primitive/rituals/ignorance......but normally clinics would be a good place....

This is the only article you need to read on the subject, i.e. stop taking shit out of context and calm down. Transmission is only possible through contact and in the unlikely event that it did spread to somewhere like Aus or the US, it would not spread far. We have very effective containment protocols in place. The irrationality of people is absurd sometimes.

Terrifying Ebola 'facts' for enhanced scaremongering

The current Ebola outbreak in West Africa is the worst in recorded history, but it has also led to an outbreak of media scaremongering that really isn’t helping. So to pre-empt further hysteria, here are some terrifying-but-unlikely ‘facts’ about Ebola that may be gracing the front pages soon

d0dfb813-1c3f-4d75-ad91-3dcef2953c10-460

Even reading about Ebola in posts like this might be dangerous … why are you still reading this? … Good god, STOP! Photograph: David Levene

Ebola is no laughing matter. Let’s make that clear from the start. It is a deeply unpleasant and dangerous disease, with a fatality rate of up to 90%. In lay terms, for every 10 people who get it, only 1 survives, making it among the most lethal diseases known to man.

There is no known cure or vaccine (although experimental drugs are being tried). The onset is sudden, but the incubation period ranges from 2 to 21 days, so if you’ve got it you won’t know straight away. And the symptoms are, frankly, horrific. Even the initial symptoms are unpleasantly flu-like (proper flu, not “don’t want to admit it’s just a cold” flu). Muscle pain, weakness, headache, sore throat, Ebola can cause all of these. And that’s just for starters. It quickly moves on to causing vomiting, diarrhoea, rash, impaired kidney and liver function, and sometimes both internal AND external bleeding. This blood loss invariably leads to death.

These details aren’t from some blog written by a paranoid hypochondriac obsessed with worst-case scenarios. They are from the World Health Organisation Ebola factsheet, almost a textbook definition of a “reliable source”. All in all, the Ebola outbreak is awful, and those suffering from it deserve all possible support and sympathy for what they’re going through, while those trying to tackle the problem deserve all manner of praise and respect.

However, despite all the dreadful things about this outbreak, if you go by media coverage, the worst thing about it is that it might end up affecting people in the UK, US or similarly developed wealthy nations. And we can’t have that now, can we.

Actually, perhaps that’s a bit harsh. Thanks to 24-hour rolling news and the internet, those of us in the developed world are constantly spoiled for choice when it comes to hearing about how absolutely awful things are happening to people in other countries. With such a constant bombardment of bleak information, it is perhaps to be expected that people will prioritise and preferably want to hear about things that may directly impact their lives. But much of the media seems to have readily descended into scaremongering to gain readers/traffic, and we know how dangerous scaremongering can be.

Some media sources have tried to present a calm, rational, reflective report of the Ebola situation. Kudos to them. But sadly, many others haven’t been so restrained.

Such scaremongering and provocative reporting can only harm public understanding and potentially jeopardise the effectiveness of any response to an actual occurrence of the disease, as some have noticed. As well as this, paranoia coupled with poor understanding leads people to act irrationally. I say this as someone who knows people who, during the early stages of the 2009 Mexican swine flu scare, cancelled a planned trip to a Chiquito restaurant in Cardiff, a Mexican themed eatery half a planet away from the affected area. There’s “cautious”, and there’s … whatever you’d call this.

However dangerous it may be, Ebola can (at present) only be contracted by exchanging fluids with an infected sufferer, through the mouth, eyes, nose or other access point to inside the body. Ebola is a tenacious virus and strict precautions must be taken when dealing with it. However, you’re not going to get it just because you were on the same landmass as someone who has it.

Having said all this, if the mainstream media will insist on scaremongering about Ebola, here are some terrifying “facts” about Ebola that they could use, with my blessing. Better they use those than scapegoat innocent people, I guess.

• The Ebola virus can be up to 14,000 nanometres in length. That’s surprisingly large for a virus, but still too small to see with the naked eye. But if it were the size of a car, it could kill you if dropped on you from even a modest height!
  • Ebola is not the deadliest virus known to mankind in terms of number of overall deaths caused, but if it ends up causing more deaths than the deadliest virus known to mankind, then Ebola would be the deadliest virus known to mankind!
  • Some have reported that the Ebola outbreak could be much worse than is believed due to the full number of cases not being reported. However, if you’re basing conclusions on information we don’t have, there’s no limit to how many people might have Ebola. You, the one reading this, could have it right now! We don’t have any information to suggest otherwise, so who’s to know?
  • Vox recently reported that if the supercontinent Pangaea were to reform today, the US would border the Ebola epidemic locations, which would obviously make it easier for the virus to spread. While this may be true, we can take comfort from the fact that, if all the continents on Earth were to suddenly rearrange themselves, the resultant geological, environmental and societal devastation would achieve apocalyptic levels several times over, so a localised (if deadly) virus would be way down on the list of concerns for whatever is left of the human race at this point.
  • If you laid out all the recorded victims of Ebola end-to-end, the end result would be so horrific as to defy description, and you’d probably be arrested and/or placed in a high-security psychiatric facility for having done such a grotesque thing.
  • Some have claimed that homeopathy can be used to treat Ebola, but there is no scientific evidence to support such a claim. This still applies if you replace “Ebola” with TB or Aids or influenza or bronchitis or Sars or bird flu or swine flu or rhinovirus or Legionnaires’ disease or Parkinson’s or Huntington’s or gout or athletes foot or gum disease or gallstones or ME or cerebral palsy or kidney stones or heatstroke or arrhythmia or hypotension or hypertension or basically anything that is inconsiderate enough to be an actual illness with a biological mechanism.

Dean Burnett is best interacted with via the sterile environment of Twitter, @garwboy

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/aug/06/terrifying-facts-ebola-for-scaremongering

• Like 8

Tripsis, totally underwhelmed by the "analysis", I guess I'm taking this too seriously. Sorry :)

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/08/who-ebola-outbreak-international-public-health-emergency

WHO declares Ebola outbreak an international public health emergency
Director general Dr Margaret Chan says west African countries' health systems needed international help to manage infections

With 1,711 confirmed and suspected cases, and 932 deaths, the WHO said the outbreak was a public health risk to other states – particularly in view of "fragile health care systems" in the affected countries.

The World Health Organisation has declared the Ebola outbreak an international public health emergency, but is not recommending general bans on travel or trade.

"Countries affected to date simply do not have the capacity to manage an outbreak of this size and complexity on their own," Margaret Chan, the WHO's director general. "I urge the international community to provide this support on the most urgent basis possible."

Once it reaches any densly populated cities, western or otherwise, I cannot see how it can be contained, particularly with the inefficient health care & economic apartheid systems that we have now.

Consider the economic impact of closing cities & towns, countries...no school...no work...catch 22....gotta eat...

it'll be contained, ebola won't be the cause of the downfall of western civilisation, rampant capitalism with nought regard for the units which make up their balance sheets will be the death of modern capitalism. and everyone will suffer, but take heed, you can eat the rich, they're fat!

pack your guns and seeds people, you're going to need them.................................

• Like 4

1407198809680.jpg

Before anyone goes overboard.....Ebola Reston (RESTV) is a mutation of Ebola (EBOV) that is NOT pathogenic to humans......

That said it'll mutate.... monkeys get the infection....and there has been a confirmed case of monkey to pig in the Phillipines.

The range of bats of the Pteropodidae as potential carriers is somewhat interesting though.

Ebola is pretty damn low on WBs priority of things to potentially impact on us in Australia it must be said.

Edited by waterboy

....since when did you guys 'take heed of the mass-media'?..

....since when did you guys 'take heed of the mass-media'?..

confirmation bias. besides, 'you may get sick and bleed out of your eyes until you die, or, care for the people already afflicted' should be taken more seriously than celebrity wedding and 'drug war' stories...

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28798542

The scale of the Ebola outbreak appears to be "vastly underestimated", the UN's health agency says, as the death toll from the disease reaches 1,069.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/overview-20140814/en/

I know everyone thinks that the death toll is quite small, but it is certainly not any where near under control yet. The problem is, of course, that there comes a point where these things hit a critical mass and suddenly there is no way to control it effectively. I don't think we've hit that point yet, but if it doesn't get more attention soon it will become a serious problem.

I was surprised to see the range of fruit bats ebola could use as primary host, does it include all of the species within that family?

Edited by whitewind

Who knows? I'm sure there are number crunchers rapidly crunching numbers. The main question is, is how they think they can contain it if they've had so little success til now? The only thing they can do is pour massive resources into the problem and hope it dies out without starting up in a major city which doesn't have the resources we do. Those numbers are growing quite rapidly now compared to the start, and no-where has claimed success in containment yet, apart from the isolated case in Nigeria which is really too early to tell.

"pour massive resources into the problem "...yeah I wonder what % of that will actually get to the people in need.

• Like 1

Hopefully all of it. If it doesn't the problem won't go away all by itself!