The Corroboree
gtarman

Passiflora edulis as a sedative...experiences? Thoughts?

So I know now that Passiflora incarnata is the one usually used as an anxiolytic, whereas previously I always thought passionflower and passionfruit were just two different common names for P. edulis. But it turns out that the edulis does have a hitory of use for anxiety and insomnia in Brazil, and seeing as I as already half way through preparing a cup of tea from my edulis vine as I found out the difference ( :lol:), I figured I'd give it a try anyway. Chopped up two fresh medium-sized leaves and let them steep in a covered mug of boiled water for 5-10 minutes.

The resultant tea has a bright green/yellow colour and tastes of (drumroll) chopped leaves. Mind you, I'm feeling distinctly relaxed and sedated now after drinking it. Not in an overpowering or disabling way, sort mild-to-moderate, but noticeable.

Anyone else have experience with this plant as opposed to P. incarnata? One article I was reading online said edulis showed no sedative action compared to incarnata, but other studies on mice noted significant sedation similar to benzodiazepines.

• Like 4

nice

-tested/smoken , flower or leaf ... less pleasant if repeated too quickly

only needed small 1-sheet roll

tasted hints of the fruit too , definitely a worthy subject for a regularly shelven witch bottle or 2

-edit- possibility it was misID'd though for caerulea.. was a very hardy one surviving uk weather all year round

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

I thought you needed to be a little bit careful of cyanogenic glycosides in fresh edulis leaves but I could be wrong. Maybe the hot water processing into tea drives them off somewhat?

• Like 1

Hey glaukus :) i have two cuttings of incarnata i just took, if they root in a few weeks i'm happy to post one if youre interested :)

Asides from that, ive not tried edulis but incarnata is quite lovely...

• Like 1

I thought you needed to be a little bit careful of cyanogenic glycosides in fresh edulis leaves but I could be wrong. Maybe the hot water processing into tea drives them off somewhat?

Hahah well I'm still alive for now. Touch wood

Yeah I guess you'd need a ton of leaves to get sick anyway.

Thanks for the offer miss meander, but I'm plum outta space and have nowhere to plant them.

• Like 1

No worries glaukus :) im sure someone will want them once theyve rooted :)... ah yes, i can see my garden space diminishing slowly, tis a shame when that happens :)

• Like 1

Oops lol im so sorry, i just realised gtarman was the original poster :/ (how embarassing)..my bad :)

*ahem*...

Gtarman would you be interested in an incarnata cutting?

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer meander, but I'm also a bit short on space :)

As a kid I'd made "tea" - - really hot juice - - from our backyard edulis flavum fruit: wonderful aroma, both in smell and philosophy, the latter being in retrospect similar to esphand...