The Corroboree
Heretic

Outdoor Cubensis Cultivation

Hi . I am not all that into shrooms , but would'nt mind having having easy access to some now and again .

I have a book on the PF tek , but it seems a lot of meticulous work , and needing strict cleanliness .

I am wondering [ as I live in a tropical coastal climate , where Cubes occur at times ] if it may be possible to collect a quantity of cattle manure , place it somewhere suitable in my garden [ full sun , shaded , etc ??? ... ] , that there is a chance of cubes appearing ??? . [ This would certainly be easier than jar growing , if at all feasible ] .

I have an old spore sprint , or could collect some cubes with which to innoculate the said manure pile .

Any thoughts , hints , or ideas are appreciated . thanks .

• Like 1

Yes - this is definitely possible. We piled a large amount of cow manure on veggie beds and had cubes coming up most of the following summer.... I also know of some folk who made a big pile of cow poo, kept it well-watered and ended up with bulk cubes..

• Like 4

Hmmm, I might try this... tarenna, did you buy bagged shit or did you collect fresh shit that you knew was inoculated???

In an old bath tub is good, this way the mycelium is protectected from organisms that may be present in the ground.

If your cultivating a legal species do take the trouble to spawn jars of wheat or wbs as these added to the bath and substrate will give you uber yields and multiple flushes. More often than not a wild species of cubensis can be weak and lach high levels of goodness.

Acquire a domestic print, a virile strain that's a good isolate.

Covering the bath with black plastic with a few holes in it will ensure FAE and a great pin set.

Remove the plastic when the pins are 10mm high and continue to mist if the weather is hot.

Grows like this are best done in the shade.

For best results harvest your produce justa s the veils break, don't forget to leave some to fully open so you have your own prints for next season.

Bit like Sara lea, layer the substrate with the spawn and so on, ensure most of the spawn is up top of the bath or container you use

Edited by olive
  • Like 7

It's a lot easier in a warmer climate than it is for us southerners. I wouldn't even consider it before about mid Novemeber - early December down here.

If you get your shit from a paddock known to produce the goods you will probably have a higher chance of success than you would if you just used some random shit you've gathered, I have heard of them popping up from zoopoo that was sourced from a victorian zoo before though, but that would be a low percentage chance.

They will grow in many different positions but they tend to prefer being in a reasonably well lit area. Under the leaves of zucchinis or pumpkins can be a nice little microclimate for cubes.

Almost spent cakes or bulk subs just buried deep enough to cover them around zucchinis is a proven winner

• Like 4

Sorry to ninja you there Olive.

The bathtub idea is probably a better way to go as the organisms in the soil eat mycelium fairly quickly.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

Yup, I've found this with many types of mycelium. The ones that are allready there will consume the newbies with great vigour.

Some plastics if using tubs are no good either as the myc will eat the plastic, uuuurgh toxic mush

This is the best ethno site by far, though due to fucked up silly pustralian laws we can't talk bout some stuff on here, so for anything mushroom 'iffy' I do suggest you join the Shroomery, lots of pics and tecs to assist you on your mushroom journeys. There's lotsa cock heads on there, yes, more than here. :)

However if you wade through the scum you can attain some damn fine knowledge.

The corroboree is numba 1

The shroomery is numba 2

N there's a hidden cannabis forum that's number 3.

Nom Nom nom

Edited by olive
  • Like 2

If no 3 sounds interesting, surely you can't be talking about oz stoners???

Nope, international ones, the best kind, no bullshit and pissy infighting over cock sizes either. :)

There's a few of them, mostly invite only unless its the Growery, a bad fruit hanging off the shroomery tree, it'll rot away soon like all rotten appendages.

• Like 1

Years ago one summer I was able to get some great colonisation on horse manure and straw in an 80L tub using a kilo of colonised wheat. Blue green mould took over and I tossed the lot in the garden under a tree, the natural environment took care of any further mould and the outer layer dried up. I gave it some water every day to keep it moist and about a week later the whole thing started fruiting. I was picking mushrooms off it for 6 weeks during the Perth summer.

• Like 5

no need up here in summer they are everywhere, anywho if u sit @ home and do fuck all, like others said go and get a few buckets of the best mush shit and spread it under your veg garden water, water , water that shit and happy days . o yeah add more shit when it starts to break down.. i did this in brissy 4 a few years when i couldnt afford fuel and i was shroooomed out 4 months and months lol i love a free feed :wink::o:shroomer:

• Like 4

haha!!!! thats a happy win Fenris.

i love it when things go all bad then.......... magic!! good again

well done

Thanks for the great tips !

I sure am all keen and enthusiastic now , after reading the above posts !

will take photos later on , and let you know how it goes , if successful .

many thanks indeed for the inspiration !!

Hmmm, I might try this... tarenna, did you buy bagged shit or did you collect fresh shit that you knew was inoculated???

No need to buy it. I just gathered cow poo from paddocks known to support cubes, and within months, whammo!!

:shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer:

• Like 1

Cheers tarenna. Going out into a known field seems to be the way to go.

I asked about the commercial stuff because I noticed that the last bag of cow shit I picked up said it was 'pasturised'. Not sure why anyone would cook shit other than to kill spores and was wondering if all the commercial stuff was heated. I figured if people could get a bag of commercial poo to fruit that would be confirmation that companies aren't cooking shit...

Cheers tarenna. Going out into a known field seems to be the way to go.

I asked about the commercial stuff because I noticed that the last bag of cow shit I picked up said it was 'pasturised'. Not sure why anyone would cook shit other than to kill spores and was wondering if all the commercial stuff was heated. I figured if people could get a bag of commercial poo to fruit that would be confirmation that companies aren't cooking shit...

If you only had a limited supply of pre-colonised poo, then maybe mixing it with the pasteurised nursery stuff would provide a nice medium for the mycelium to spread to. Whereas with random bags from farmers gates, the manure may already be colonised with other species which will compete with whatever you're trying to grow.

• Like 4

I don't know why they'd pasteurise manure with any certainty but maybe it could be an OH&S issue. I first noticed bags of crap that had been chemically treated at garden centers like Big W about 15 years ago. At least I think they were chemically treated, they seemed to have a disinfectant smell to them.

It seems to fit in with the germaphobia ideals of many larger companies. Hazard reduction and that shit, possibly for insurance/liability reduction ?

If I was going to attempt to do something like this I'd probably hedge my bets and try a few different methods.

The wild sourced crap from a source known to produce fruit can be successful in the right climate and doesn't require much work, but for anyone in a temperate zone a bit more hands on approach will be much more successful most of the time.

Grain spawn or crumbled rice cakes onto pasteurised aged manure is a lot more reliable most of the time outside of tropical/subtropical zones.

• Like 3

I just thought that I would mention that instead of buying expensive mason jars for growing the cakes , I found a tasty French jam at Coles and Woolies that are the perfect size and shape - just like Mason jars , cheaper , plus the jams as well . They have a simple black and white label , and a pinkish checkered lid ..... [ sorry , too much trouble to get up and check the brand atm ; maybe later if anyone wants to know ] ..

I have also seen peanut butter jars of a perfect shape for removing the cakes when they're ready ...

i discoverd thoselittle beauties also. they work a treat

• Like 1

I used to use 1 litre pickle jars. I don't remember the brand, but they were a bottom shelf product. The pickles were crap but the jars were OK.

I saw big W was selling bulk packs of ball jars about a month ago.

• Like 1

Yup, I've found this with many types of mycelium. The ones that are allready there will consume the newbies with great vigour.

Some plastics if using tubs are no good either as the myc will eat the plastic, uuuurgh toxic mush

This is the best ethno site by far, though due to fucked up silly pustralian laws we can't talk bout some stuff on here, so for anything mushroom 'iffy' I do suggest you join the Shroomery, lots of pics and tecs to assist you on your mushroom journeys. There's lotsa cock heads on there, yes, more than here. :)

However if you wade through the scum you can attain some damn fine knowledge.

The corroboree is numba 1

The shroomery is numba 2

N there's a hidden cannabis forum that's number 3.

Nom Nom nom

I have some large - 45 liter , I think black plastic tubs / pots ...... wondering if these might be okay to use , or will the myc eat this type of plastic ? [ thanks ]

Over on the Shroomery I saw a post from RR mentioning placing a cap/print in a cows water trough (if your area with cows is not producing the correct fruit type) and checking back in a few weeks.

Also any Fungi growth in the garden is beneficial to building a nutritious soil. Paul Stamets did a great pictogram on one of this recent talks demonstrating this.

Edited by Etho

Over on the Shroomery I saw a post from RR mentioning placing a cap/print in a cows water trough (if your area with cows is not producing the correct fruit type) and checking back in a few weeks.

A few weeks! Most dung-loving species I've seen seem to prefer err... mature manure. I find it hard to imagine going from spores in the cow trough to fruits in the fields within a span of weeks. Does this really happen? I have seen some really half-arsed attempts at wild colonisation succeed, though it can take a year or more (ie until the next season), and mostly nothing happens at all. I've also seen some really intensive attempts produce wild fruit within months, but those were cases where the patches were so well cared for you could hardly call them "wild" -they were more like gardens. Anything happening within weeks just seems unlikely - was this in a tropical climate or something?

I have some large - 45 liter , I think black plastic tubs / pots ...... wondering if these might be okay to use , or will the myc eat this type of plastic ? [ thanks ]

It's hard to say how the plastic will go until you've tested it. You can identify what type of plastic it is by the number in the recycle triangle. I only ever used polypropylene (recycle no.4) for mycology as it is supposed to be one of most inert and one of the least likely plastics to harbour contaminates or leach toxins.

I've seen some polypropylene that can handle it with only the slightest damage and other polypropylene that mycelium will eat for breakfast. Both being the same type of plastic I would have assumed it (polypropylene) would react in a predictable manor, but I found that that was not the case.