The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

manitou rolling tobacco

Thanks for the thread and hints on keep tobacco fresh. I've only tried the Manitou product, but it's delicious. Both the taste and the effect.

Thanks fellas.

i agree. had my first rolly of manitou today.

very nice!!! i agee with tst, its very gentle on the lungs, tastes very clean, and there is a lingering 'effect'.

thanks for the heads up :)

I like the American Spirit, it's a bit expensive for a 40g pouch but it's so dry that you get more for the weight anyway. Quite a strong flavour, I like it. is nice. Definitely need to chuck in an apple peal or something though otherwise it crumbles into powder very quickly.

I hope this claim that it isn't really organic is untrue. It's also disappointing about who owns this company.

I'm trying to get off nasty chemical burn on the lips tasting tobacco with those additives in there mostly to addict me even more to them - to instead replace them with a nice smooth proper tobacco fix with no nasty taste in there, supporting a company with a righteous name like American Spirit with a native american in headdress smoking a pipe as their logo. This is obviously some lefty pinko hippy brand i can give money to and feel good cuz it's not too subtley implying some kind of connection to native americans who are the icon of good responsible eco-management and all that jazz so I'm sticking it to the major tobacco companies...

riiiight. :rolleyes:

Cheers for the headsup TI.

I should've known better, so apart from growing your own as this would be highly illegal for some reason :lol: where can i purchase tasty tobacco responsibly made and owned by a non-reptillian entity? hmm what am I asking here... a company that pushes drugs basically.. to have ethics?

Edited by The Dude

hey dude hope you make the meet this sunday!

get a hydrostone!only $0.50! american spirit after hydrostoning[lol] is very nice,amazing what that bit of moisture does. otherwise i found the last half of the pack a bit nasty.

t s t .

i'll comment on an older thread instead of making a new one -

just wanted to report on the bali nature brand. the other day i ran out of the usual champion ruby pouch, and after deciding to make this bad habit as healthy as possible, i asked for organic RYO at the tobacconist and was pointed to this. (wasn't going to go chop-chop. figured it wasn't worth incriminating myself over such a silly and confused law.)

bali nature = really, really good,

you don't really realise how much 'chemical' is in the normal cigarette until you've tried the organic stuff. it's SOOO much easier to inhale, yet a little bit harsher at the same time, and it tastes pretty much like cigar tobacco, which is fairly reassuring it's 'close to the real thing'.

not to mention i feel like it kicks the nicotine pants off my old champion ruby to about a 3:1 ratio (i am BUZZING. off HALF a cigarette. no joke.)

as previously said in this thread i also find myself smoking a lot LESS, because i am satisfied for a lot longer duration off a fix.

it's funny though, you can tell there is something else addictive in the commercial chemical cigarettes these days that DEFINATELY doesn't come from a nicotiana plant. if i persist to have partially 'unsatisfied' cravings after switching to smoking something as organic and strong as this stuff(which i am :blink:) , well... something is definately not right here. government = coverup. sometimes i ever wonder if society ever graduates the kindergarden playground.

all in the name of greed...

anyhow, this stuff costs exactly the same as my old champion, and, though as we know, smoking anything will harm you, i will bet my left testicle you are reducing the harm when you make the organic switch.

i don't think i'll ever go back to that other commercial rubbish... it just smokes like plastic now.

Agreed,though I bought some natural organic cured on the farm gear from Custom Blends... Blend No.7 and it was awesome,satisfying and lasted longer without that chop chop shite tatse.

I've been on Rollies for ages now because of additives especially the salt peter which makes my jaw ache and my head!

As for keeping up the moisture nothing beats the old potato skin shavings :wink:

Edited by mescalito

i'll comment on an older thread instead of making a new one -

just wanted to report on the bali nature brand. the other day i ran out of the usual champion ruby pouch, and after deciding to make this bad habit as healthy as possible, i asked for organic RYO at the tobacconist and was pointed to this. (wasn't going to go chop-chop. figured it wasn't worth incriminating myself over such a silly and confused law.)

bali nature = really, really good,

you don't really realise how much 'chemical' is in the normal cigarette until you've tried the organic stuff. it's SOOO much easier to inhale, yet a little bit harsher at the same time, and it tastes pretty much like cigar tobacco, which is fairly reassuring it's 'close to the real thing'.

not to mention i feel like it kicks the nicotine pants off my old champion ruby to about a 3:1 ratio (i am BUZZING. off HALF a cigarette. no joke.)

as previously said in this thread i also find myself smoking a lot LESS, because i am satisfied for a lot longer duration off a fix.

it's funny though, you can tell there is something else addictive in the commercial chemical cigarettes these days that DEFINATELY doesn't come from a nicotiana plant. if i persist to have partially 'unsatisfied' cravings after switching to smoking something as organic and strong as this stuff(which i am :blink:) , well... something is definately not right here. government = coverup. sometimes i ever wonder if society ever graduates the kindergarden playground.

all in the name of greed...

anyhow, this stuff costs exactly the same as my old champion, and, though as we know, smoking anything will harm you, i will bet my left testicle you are reducing the harm when you make the organic switch.

i don't think i'll ever go back to that other commercial rubbish... it just smokes like plastic now.

That's interesting how you've compared it to plastic, I smell burning plastic like smells when some people light up.

Commercial cigarettes are laced with ammonia and urea compounds to make the nicotine much more addictive. They call it free-based nicotine and it gets to your brain much quicker and hits you harder, American spirit was found to the highest in freebase nicotine in one study.

Almost all commercial tobacco contains additives, as to which ones who knows ?

Take your pick from this list of 499 permitted additives - Tobacco additives

Free-base nicotine

Maybe smoking horse shit would be safer than commercial chemical cocktail tobacco.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned to rehydrate tobacco yet , but people used to recommend a large chunk of orange peel in the pouch. I used to get chop chop in bulk and by the end of the 'bin bag' it used to get pretty dry and harsh. :)

i think what we would need is a humidor.

herbs naturaly rehydrate themselves aswell during rainy periodes...

if one uses destilled water or an apple or orange peel, it still means some danger of the herb "catching some fungus". so one has to keep an eye on that process.

to my personal experience, dry herbs not only taste harsh and awfull, i think the activety is reduced aswell.

maybe the water content in the herb can fluctuate the ideal burning/evaporating temperatures.

if we talk a small amount of herb that needs to be rehydrated, one can just "breath into the baggie and seal it right away, after a few hours the herb will be moist again.

i heard aswell reports from people saying that, home grown baccy, produced a lasting and satisfying effect, and others worded it as, almost halucigenic.

tst sent me a mad little ceramic shell. soaked in waterfor 5 minutes keeps the baccy in tip top shape.

That's interesting how you've compared it to plastic, I smell burning plastic like smells when some people light up.

it's a bit scary isn't it? btw i looked at that list, really interesting. and again, scary.

i heard aswell reports from people saying that, home grown baccy, produced a lasting and satisfying effect, and others worded it as, almost halucigenic.

i used to grow rustica in the states for a short period, and although i couldn't say what homegrown N.tobaccum tastes like, the rustica could practically be called psychedelic nicotine. a very clear-headed entheogenic experience, complete with a shitty, classic purge if you're inexperienced and smoke a full bowl fast(never, EVER, doing that again. god....DAMN...)

btw IMO dry tobacco = useless tobacco. try a dried apricot, or an apple piece works classicly.

i'll try that potato skin shavings idea :)

Commercial cigarettes are laced with ammonia and urea compounds to make the nicotine much more addictive. They call it free-based nicotine and it gets to your brain much quicker and hits you harder, American spirit was found to the highest in freebase nicotine in one study.

Would be good to have a look at this study. I find that odd as American Spirit is marketed as additive free, could there be something in the tobacco itself that makes it a free-base? after some kind of processing, thereby keeping the no-additive rule they apparently give themselves?

AFAIK freebases vaporise easier and are more active as a smoke? Maybe it's not such a bad thing. I mean the method of ingestion is still smoking it. It wouldn't be like the difference between snorting and smoking it or anything, so the potential for addiction is still the same I would assume (being the same method of ingestion). May as well call cigarettes crack tobacco though, as they got all the goodness out of the drug to make it as strong and addictive as possible, leaving no lasting satisfaction only the craving for more.

I'm most definitely addicted to the buzz of tobacco, especially good tobacco. Although I wonder how chewing tobacco or pituri or other alternatives would do me. hehe get me some coca leaf and I'll be buzzing for sure! Funny how growing your own is illegal, who are they protecting? us or financial interests? Whinging to the choir I know... but how have they got away with this for so long?

I've got no trouble supporting my local illegal tobacco grower if they didn't all taste so bad.

in my current SE asia hideout you can buy an ounce of homegrown nicotinia rustica for 20 cents US. its dry and harsh, but definitely gives a more smooth and satisfying experience than commercial cigarettes (LA lights... :puke:) . the locals in the country side smoke it in huge fat spliff type constructions where the shear amount of densely packed material acts as a filter. goes well with betel nut and palm wine apparently! will try adding some piper betel leaves to the bag to give back some moisture...

wow! i tried out this tobacco recently and have been supremely impressed!

went for the new manitou line of additive free and organic grown (to E.U. and U.S. definitions)

~$30 for a 35g pouch of rolling type, they also have tailor-mades at a reasonable price too.

first off, the 35g lasted a week instead of the normal 50g per week consumption,

and that was without intentionally trying to cut down...just sorta happened.

second point to note, was when it ran out and i had to revert to my usual tobacco brands (dr pat + champion ruby),

i found my use went up again to 50g per week.

What was even more interesting is the actual addictive element of it. With the regular tobacco it comparitively felt like chasing fullfilment of a craving (that never seems to be fulfilled)

whereas the manitou feels like i'm smoking to have a tobacco experience (a subtle distinction but quite noticeable)

the taste is pretty good too, a slight hint of chop-chop and a slight hint of that 'musty' type flavour (reminded me of the time swim tried to cure a few leaves)

but overall easily palatable. its drier than regular baccy, as explained on the pack - no humectants due to mould risk.

the real revelation came when i had to go back to regular tobacco - it was definitely tastier but overladen with distinctly horrible chemical taste and feel.

it seems like regular baccy generates this dirty mouth feel and even my skin and body physiology felt icky.

and i thought regular tailor-mades were horrid enough.

only one week's trial of this manitou-organic has immediately made a convert of me, along with several other smokers i know as well.

can't recommend it enough to any tobacco users out there!

Edited by inpsyght

oops..double post

Edited by inpsyght

as per earlier posts in this thread ,try to get a hydro stone to add moisture yourself!

t s t .

Is manitou tobacco stronger in nicotine than most common rollie tobacco?

A lot of my mates smoke champion ruby and whenever I have a ciggie of that i dont get the same feeling and it seems way weaker. I thought some of the additives they put in tobacco was to make the nicotine more available and hit harder?

Maybe I have just implanted the thought that this non-additive stuff is better somehow so that is what i feel??? Even if i dont have a smoke for a few weeks and then have a champion it still seems weak. I thought tolerance to nicotine would have dropped by then?

How or why would plain leaf be stronger than any other processed leaf?

I reckon its to do with taste as well, manatou tastes stronger so you are more aware of effect IMO

The only other thing I can think of is that the dryness of manitou means you get more in you per breath as it burns as a higher rate. This is just speculation obviously

maybe because it is only leaf and not stem or midribs as filler?

or just a better quality of tobbacco?

t s t .

american spirit perique is my current fave!

Edited by t st tantra

The biggest stems ive found in tobacco have been in Manitou products. The cake is a lie....

Yeah I guess its just better quality.

Never tried the American spirit range. It so hard to find non-commercial tobacco IME

i stopped smoking pure tobacco a long time ago, but i remeber...

i have a theory that american spirit has a different profile of activas compared to many other tobacco's.

there might be an activa which makes the experience, to last longer.

an activa, which potentiates nicotin.

i think white ox for example has lot's of nicotin, but doe's it satisfy for long, no!

maybe most tobaco strains have been selected for, short duration of the experience, so they can sell more...

so what type of manitou are you guys smoking? I see there's 3 different types, the green (slightly more expensive) the gold, and the light. Anyone have a comparison? Now I'm relly interested in American spirit perique, too! hmmm which to get, manitou green or as perique?

edit: bali nature and domingo are available@ tobaccoblends.com.au (no www)

domingo very reasonably priced at $15 for 25g!

hmmm so many to choose from!

Edited by Thelema

I can't go back to other chemical brands after switching to Manitou, Drum just tastes sickening (lots of sugar and anti-fungicides), Champion Ruby makes me drowsy. A tobacconist told me that an entire manitou shipment was recalled a few months ago due to mould/fungus (as they use no chemicals to prevent this). The dryness of Mantitou is because wetting agents are not added. It is more real.

There is a trick with 'additive-free' tobacco, in particular American Spirit (as mentioned in an earlier post) - nothing is added but the tobacco is made more basic (probably with ammonium). So nothing is added, but it is chemically altered to create freebase nicotine.

Growing your own tobacco and curing it, while highly illegal (!), is not hard. Curing just requires a bit of patience and practice.

Edited by phyllode

so manitou, bali nature and domingo are also treated with ammonia?