The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Change

Theobroma cacao

Hey all

Ive been wondering, do any Australians grow Theobroma cacao ?

There's a nursery up my way that sells them. Been thinking about getting one for a while. My understanding is that the fruit/seeds take a lot of processing though. Attractive tree, beautiful fruits. Has lots of uses.

I tried twice with plants from Herbalistics a few years ago, and both died when it got cold.

I am aware of them surviving (and possibly fruiting) as far south as the Hastings Valley.... but only in warm and sheltered microclimates...

Greenhouse?

• Like 1

They dont do cold. Here in Taiwan they only grow in the far south well. Luckily they do well in partial shade and one could get creative growing them with something else as a companion to try and protect from some cold. Though i wouldnt grow them unde ran acia, the light under an acacia is probably as dark as i would personally grow them. I also grow them in full sun here, they do equally well i find, at least once a year+. One could also consider growing them like a bertel nut. use a banana or similar crop while they are small and establishing. i think bigger trees can take slightly more cold temps?

Tried with plants from SAB a couple of times, but the slightest hint of a chilly or dry breeze and they get pretty upset. Never got one to make it through a winter in a Mediterranean climate (outdoors but in a greenhouse).

I have several trees at varying ages, all in the ground. Should get first fruits next year. They do well where I am, the challenge is to keep them mostly shaded and away from the wallabies/pademelons... I know there is a cacao farm near Mossman (north of Cairns) that does well and produces great chocolate (Daintree chocolate).

Can be grown from cutting or seed.

If you ever get fresh seed mountaingoat I'd be keen on some. They aren't viable for long and I know my climate is cold but I'm sure with a little fish tank heater, reservoir and pump I could rig up a heating system for it on the cheap. Would be cool to get one going.

• Like 1