The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

cave paintings -hand stencils

I remember playing around with this a bit as a kid, grinding up some coloured ochre/mud stones with a bit of water, putting some of the 'mud' in my mouth and spraying it over my hand to leave a hand print/ silhouette on a stone surface.

Not sure how long mine would have been able to last because they were done by the sea and the water would have eventually washed them away I'm sure.

Just wondering if there was anything else involved in making a traditional-style hand-stencil cave painting.

Could the ochre be mixed with a binder such as orchid sap etc like other primitive paints were? Should the surface be prepped in any way?

My indigenous friend and I are thinking of putting a few on the back of a large rock on her farm where we all like to sit and chill, maybe with a peace sign or something. Kinda like a 'peace among all men' thing. It would be nice to go back years later and see them still there.

Cheers for the ideas brus :P

• Like 2

My family use lye (wood ash soaked in water & left to settle, then pour off the clear liquid) as the "water" component.

But do make sure that you have fresh water to wash off, or it will burn if left on skin for any length of time.

If its left out in the weather it will need to be reapplied every year or two. On wood or fabric it sticks like shit to a blanket.

I have no idea how far back this tradition goes? At least three generations beyond me is all i know.

Ps. do not get it on your clothes as it will not come out, and wives don't seem to have a sense of humor about these things.

The cousins use/used roo blood and or egg white along with grasstree sap but i haven't asked how or how much? I can ask the next time i see them if you like?

Edited by shortly
  • Like 2

Cheers for the help shortly, I'll give the lye water a go (mixed with ochres). It would be worth finding out as much as possible from anyone who still does these things traditionally. Keep the knowledge alive for future generations.

Here's the kind of thing I had in mind. It's just for a bit of fun.

Tacon-et-al-Figure-9-Sulawesi-hand-stenc

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

haha. cool. i recall doing this at sunshine beach as a kid. just with sandstone. was only like 10 or so. few years later all that land and the little cliffs it contained was developed. even though that land was "not to be developed". still think about it to this day. always loved the archaic arts as such.

Be careful using lye water if you have any amalgam fillings. It would only be a trivial risk but a risk none the less. Have some fresh water on hand to wash your mouth out straigh after you do it too.

I should mention that we NEVER apply the lye ocre by mouth. We use a grass brush a little like a Japanese green tea stirrer. or a twig brush.

I will endeavor to make one & take a few pics after the hot weather has moved on.

• Like 2