The Corroboree
MountainGoat

Favourite (psy)Dub Artists...

In the interest of finding some new music, lets start a thread about dub artists...

Here's a few to get it started, more on the psy edge of things. If you haven't heard them already, check 'em out...

Quanta

Beatroots

Kalya Scintilla

Sixis

Whitebear

Liquid Stranger

Tipper

Griff

Let me know what you think, and add some if you'd like.

Cheers

• Like 6

Astronaut ape

Suduaya

Koan

Landswitcher

Goopsteppa

Of course the might ozric tentacles too!

So many more...

• Like 2

Zen baboon

Desert dwellers

Wolfen technologies

Floating grooves

Check out mixed sets by johnny blue, download from soundcloud.

• Like 2

In the interest of finding some new music, lets start a thread about dub artists...

Here's a few to get it started, more on the psy edge of things. If you haven't heard them already, check 'em out...

Quanta

Beatroots

Kalya Scintilla

Sixis

Whitebear

Liquid Stranger

Tipper

Griff

Let me know what you think, and add some if you'd like.

Cheers

You call these dudes 'dub' ?

• Like 1

PsyDub, DubPsy, PsyStep, Quirk, Whomp, EthnoWob, MidTempo... whatever you like really, I could throw out dozens of arbitrary labels, however I'm not interested in discussing the finer points of genres, just want to find some new music along the lines of the aforementioned artists.

Cheers Glaukus, a few new ones for me to check...

• Like 4

Globular

Can find most of his stuff for free on ektoplasm :)

• Like 2

Maybe check out Mesq's stuff too....It's pretty damn good!

Back when I was a lad there was only a couple of true music genre things.

Actually there were way too many genres then...come to think of it.... Music - Its either likeable or its not! lets not be racist to music as well! ;)

They called it techno & it was played at something called a rave! It was simple back then...

You had to go to a shop & swap a chicken egg for an address... They were a tad weird in wales in the early 90s! but hey that was the spiral tribe era... The speakers always seemed to be facing away from the party - maybe thats how & why we could all still chat....If we called it that ;

but then you had to dial a 0055 number in australia or some random number you got given by some random person...Who the fuck had 20 cent for a phone call....Glad Telecom phones could be giggled / jiggled with a stick on a piece of string...r you acted like a telecom worker making a check on the payphone (So wish I remembered that number now) Then all you needed was money for petrol......& to find someone with the ability & willingness to drive to somewhere that some bloke killed & buried 7 or more backpackers..... Ah .. the good old days!

It was just techno music & stuff back then....

Then it got complicated ;)

Sorry for my reminiscing rant Mtn Goat - ah the good ole days before too many Genres.....

But great thread - I just came across a heap of music ive never heard before.....& really like.

• Like 3

Hey Glaukus, I dig Landswitcher, another great shanti planti artist that I somehow missed...

Love this EP

• Like 1

Realy is there that manny genre now. Holly fuk.

Back in the 90s it was trance or techno... acid techno. Thats what won my heart of hearts. Acid tek all the way!

• Like 2

Brujo's Bowl and Beatroots are the same dude, Saxon Higgs. Great music!

Millions of genres? Or millions of dumb names thought up by 'producers' in their bedrooms to describe mediocre beats they are convinced are amazing & unique?

The whole system of organizing styles by genre started to really, well & truly become utterly meaningless around 2008 onwards id say, it really started getting stupid when the 'dubstep' name got hijacked by every knob on the planet that copied the 140ish bpm half step beat with some wubs & womps... Now you can play just about anything, Just give it a half step at about 140bpm & call it dub-something-or-other or something-or-other-step..

It's stupid & makes me cringe, but thats not to say there isn't some damn awesome tunes being labeled something akin to this though!

If only we could adapt our language & categorization strategies to keep up with the volume of information being fed into the system nowadays..

I guess you can choose to get all caught up in labelling things, or you can just lay back and let the music take you on a journey somewhere... Personally I'm not into labels. I just like the music!

Yeah, maybe it's more about not wanting to get caught up in not being able to effectively find the music you're after when the language we use to describe it is convoluted & meaningless.. Like going into a library to find a specific book, if there are tens of thousands of obscure & meaningless made up literary categories then it's going to take you years to find the book you're after & the whole logical reason for generalising, labelling & categorising the genres is completely nullified & reversed.. Thinking about what style the music is while you're listening to it is generally pointless.. The only point of that label at all is so you can find the damn thing you want to listen to in the first place.. If that labelling system is too convoluted then there's no point labelling it at all..

There's not much point having vast caches of information if there's no effective way to narrow down & pinpoint the specific info you need amongst those vast caches..

Not trying to troll or anything, this thread has some good music in it, I'm just sayin.. It came up..

2-bro-afro-half-funk-beat-step-core

• Like 1

PsyDub, DubPsy, PsyStep, Quirk, Whomp, EthnoWob, MidTempo... whatever you like really, I could throw out dozens of arbitrary labels, however I'm not interested in discussing the finer points of genres, just want to find some new music along the lines of the aforementioned artists.

Cheers Glaukus, a few new ones for me to check...

Haha sorry I'm a bit of a genre revisionist :P

• Like 1

Cool Mesq, I thought i had heard your stuff before but couldn't place where it was.

My apologies if I came across a little blunt earlier, I also produce and categorise music like a freak, I was just hoping to avoid genre specifications because I have often fallen into that discussion rather then discovering new music... Cheers

Eurythmy and Animatronix are my picks for ethnowomp/shanti type stuff. Love the Cook is some pretty good psychedelic dub/step action.

Here's a good one to start with by Eurythmy, he's an awesome producer and lovely guy to boot: https://soundcloud.com/eurythmy/eurythmy-electrypnose-further

Animatronix: https://soundcloud.com/animatronix

Love the Cook (I did the cover for this one): https://soundcloud.com/tsunami-audio/sets/tsa017-love-the-cook-corruptions-ep

I have a track on Shanti Planti for the 'Middle Peace' compilation. We raised a bunch of cash for the children of Palestine with that release :)

https://shantiplanticharity.bandcamp.com/track/mote-lamentation

Nice tune mang.

Edited by Xenodimensional
  • Like 1

Kalpataru Tree

Beatroots

Auditory Canvas

Biolumigen

Kaminanda

Mumukshu

Anchor Hill

Random Rab

Tribone

Icaro

Yestegan ChaY

Animatronix

Schlang

Citta Flow

Spundose

Eurythmy

Merkaba

Shwex

^

Not dub. Not sure what words could honour sucha zone of listen-able treats. I was taken with the term 'psybient' for a while, but it doesn't cover all bases.

I reckon all of the above deserve a mention. Not a definitive or tidy list, but they're the ones that have truly grabbed my attention in the past couple of years. Not sure if all will fit the genre classification, but they're atleast in the same field, or mostly and are slightly edging into another.

• Like 5

agreed Bogfrog, genre-ing is a hard thing to do, i struggle with classification of music at the best of times. but i second most of your suggestions, bar the ones i haven't heard. I'll also add:

wagawaga

subconscious

Kalya scintilla

heyoka (early stuff is much better IMO)

Grouch (progressive trance producer but has a lot of awesome dub projects)

stress assassin

i will think of more.

• Like 3

Edit: off topic

Desert Dwellers are pretty good mostly

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1