The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

wut mutant has been doing during 2013??

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6074540/2013/studiojam%20ks61-ef303-az7500.mp3

this is a tune, nicely recorded in this one take session , that captures quite nicely the melodies I have explored this whole year, inspired by the research on the best home keyboards ever made I did

hohner ks61 = casio ht- 3000 , a rightfully overhyped by the retro and circuit bending crowd keyboard, which is estimated also by pros.

roland ef300 is used here as a synth source, slave to the ks61 . this is an awesome multibox

Contrary to what I did in the past with a "good melody" , that is recording it , I want to make it a live act - improvisational scheme...

suggestions , additions, collaborations, welcome!!!!!

Edited by mutant
  • Like 7

Very cool mutant. At first I heard Basic Channel (esp. Vainquer) influence & then was taken otherwheres. am always impressed (amorally) when melody takes over percussion, as in Autechre, but then where does that air go? seems to fizzle out (in Autechre) to dreary extended atmosphere (though often they end well). I appreciate that you bring it back to some of the most interesting beats that I've heard in awhile. If you have a moment to spare, check out (not mine) digitalzephyr (.com u.s.) goes by leriseux.

thank you

Edited by gwalchgwyn

thank you for most intersting comment. will check out

For the history

roland ef 303 (acid bassline) is from 2000

hohner ks 61 (aka casio ht300) (arranger, programming, bassline, chord, drums1 and synth sound) is from 1987

and bontpeti az 7500 (drums2 and chord2) is from around 1992

song performed in one take (no multitrack recording) when the 3 devices were MIDI connected, with the hohner KS61 being the master, other two being slave.

• Like 1

So you would be like freestyle melody making(live)? That would be awesome.

I love the idea of improvisational act like this, Good shit.

Me and my partner were just discussing how good this would be while under the influence of a particular spore producing organism.

That being said I can listen to this without having to be under the influence to really enjoy and harness the great musical vibes that this song brings to me truly epic produce bro.

Very well done could listen to this many times and not get sick of it it's very upbeat and cherry thanks for brightening My evening. Great work mutant.

nailthesnail>

wow, this kind of nice comments is enough feedback to get me through another 10 years musical exploration

Yeah this is supposed to become a kind of freestyle musical improvisation, based on previous improvisations.

Another fun fact is the reason for which the tune is based on D minor. Many of the keyboards I was starting to improvise various tunes were small: 2,5 or 3 octaves sometimes, so, in more than one occasions chord section was quite limited, so, I started from D minor which was the most convenient - thus the melody expanded for the whole year is officially sourced in D min.

the idea about a spore organism is quite spot on: I have found out these spore organisms do not go well with hiphop, especially the kind of hiphop I did, aggressive, smartass, and 'me-first-style' AKA ultra egotistical. This tune on the other hand feels like quite the opposite!

gwalchgwyn>>>

I checked some vainqueur , I already knew autochre, but haven't listened to them a lot. Actually I dont remember autechre being especially melodic and so are the vainqueur that I checked now. Since you took some interest about the possible influence, I would like to talk about what I think are the major influences in tunes like this of mine.

My melodical approaches are very influenced by AMIGA , CPC6128 and other retro home computers. No I was never a big video game player , but I was and still am among the hugest fans of chip/mod and retro computer game music. Funny thing is I never had myself a home computer, so the tunez 'got me' from friends computers. But I didn't find out until many years later, when I first discovered Tangerine dream, when I understood TD was the biggest influence in this scene.

here, for example this used to be one of my favourite tunes during those days, from the menus of SUPER CARS II (AMIGA) , which is also an awesome game. not very Tangerinedreamish, but an awesome song, check out the tune at 1:40 !

of course my influences vary a lot , from Greek New Wave like Thanos Mikrutsikos and Mikis Theodorakis (legendary composers of many political songs, many of these are orchestrated in march or polka rhythms, and they feat a military march feel, but rather a left wing military march), to a vast range of electronic musics, from early german techno to early breakbeat, hardcore techno/ gabba , experimental and noise/power electronic, electro punk, punk, hardcore punk, grindcore, ambient - you name it. and of course ragga / dub / ska, there's some of this in the tunes I will post next

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

same arrangement with the previous one (duration : 2.16)

the ragga/dub style I mentioned above

funny fact: hohner ks61 / casio ht3000 has got a powerful programmable arranger (drums and even fill-in, bassline, chordline, chord sound (modifiable by real synth), all programmable , too fucking impressive for 1987's standards! But nowadays memory cards for it are ultra rare and expensive, so you lose any sounds and arrangements you've programmed when you unplug from the wall, so learning to program fast is a must with this one. This lack of reliable memory paches forces the user to learn the programming process better. And each time, a new version will be programmed, song evolving.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6074540/2013/studiojam%20ks61-ef303-az7500%20part2.mp3

another arrangement with the hohner ks61 + casio mt540 (duration : 2. 37)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6074540/2013/hohner%20ks61%20%2B%20mt540%20part%206%20ragga.mp3

ragga/dub again

another arrangement:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6074540/2013/az%207500%20%2B%20ef303%20part1%20-%20extract.mp3

bontempi AZ 7500 and roland EF 303 only, midi connected (duration : 3.43)

The bontempis chord/bass MIDI channel is bombarded Starts at (0.40) from the EF-303 MIDI out channel which functions as a bassline-sequencer, from then on EF303 controls the AZ7500 chard section is very interesting wayz.

this is rather more ravey / acid track , which actually came up playing with different MIDI connections. Proves that the AZ7500 is neat MIDI keyboard.

and a non-midi , noisy jamming composition

its played (recorded in one take, lousy mic recording) on my awesomely circuit bent 1981 Casio mt-45

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6074540/2013/casio%20mt-45%20super%20noise%20%28extr%29%20.mp3

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

They are very creative. I can really see the retro video/arcade game style in your music .

I think that's probably quite a cool place to be influenced it's definitely worked for you :)

Okay I am no musician but I think I understand what you mean by d minor improvisation and that's pretty stunning to make a tune like that on limited chords is pretty incredible.

I can imagine playing donkey kong or mario too them and that would be dope.

I really enjoy listening to your work mutant it's very unique.

I like how it's always changing melody(like the beat is always there but the ones that are the most influential change.)

Really good work mate I hope you have as much fun making it as I do listening to it.

• Like 1

Listening back on your original I don't hear those influences I'd mentioned after all - I shouldn't have used the word influence, because that suggests derivation (although all sound/thinking come from a place, even if fragmented). Anyway, I didn't mean to suggest that derivation - yours does sound very original and not as old-fashioned as Autechre & Vainquer. I think that Autechre came to mind because they have a model in many of their tracks of starting out with heavy percussion that seems haphazard, sometimes with 2 percussive threads that don't at all seem complementary, but which nevertheless end up in slight gradual manipulation of loops to come together & make sense, then, often halfway through the track they'll introduce air or chordage that begins quietly but ultimately gets louder and takes over the percussive. My favorite of theirs is garbagemx36 from the garbage EP that in some markets is coupled with Anvil Vipre as Tri-Repetae. But no, listening back I don't actually see influence, just some of that pattern. And your track has much more energy than Vainquer. I think I mentioned the latter for his persistent lo-fi looping with seemingly only the slightest of change to eventually enter a new atmosphere. Perfect for 2 a.m. But again, I don't see influence there either. The Electronic Music Age is as you say, extremely varied. I remember back in 1998 seeing the 3 who called themselves WE. They were inside of a huge plastic bubble. People moved in very interesting ways to their music, but they'd prolly bore a more mainstream raverkind. Supercars - oh - now I get it! the brief interlude at (1:25) got me. Thanks

• Like 1