The Corroboree
Rabaelthazar

Acacia ID request

Question

Hi guys, could anyone id this tree? I don't believe it's the special kind, but this is one of my favourite trees to be around. I love the patterns on the bark and the neatness of the leaf patterns. My little boy loves stroking the leaves too. I'd love to grow some to give away as decorative presents. Much appreciated.

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Deb-one-amine, do you see any butterflies near them? I would like to grow a few under controlled conditions as a food plant for caterpillars.

I sent those pics of the tree in question to a butterfly expert and he immediately said , Cape Leewin Wattle (Parasianthes lophanta sub sp, formerly Albiza lophantha) Its a larval food plant of the Tailed Emperor butterfly. I Googled and came up with a few pics that have similar characteristics. Looks like it IMO. Is there any sign of flowering yet Rabaelthazar

Thanks Amazonian, that's definitely the same tree. The flowers have developed a little, but not quite as fluffy as the ones in your pic. I'l post some pics in a week or so to see the similarity. (just a good excuse to try out my new camera really)

New camera? that's exciting. What did you get?

Funny you say that amazon yeah i did first time ive seen a butterfly since i went to the melbourne zoo(Fuckers Must kidnap em from the wild) :P

Funny you say that amazon yeah i did first time ive seen a butterfly since i went to the melbourne zoo(Fuckers Must kidnap em from the wild) tongue.gif

So was that a yes, you've seen butterflies around the Cape Leewin Wattle? Just trying to source some butterfly eggs for the upcoming season.( and possibly some seeds of this tree for variety )

New camera? that's exciting. What did you get?

Pentax K-X, entry level D-SLR, but does enough and takes good enough quality photos to keep me happy.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-x_Black/

Edited by Rabaelthazar

That camera looks the bomb. Big LCD . Should invest in a screen protector lens .Tell ya what, I'll swap ya for my 5 year old Canon for your new beaut Pentax.

Edited by Amazonian

Tell ya what, I'll swap ya for my 5 year old Canon for your new beaut Pentax.

A very tempting offer, Amazonian, but I sorry, I must decline. :P