The Corroboree
space cadet swami

Brugmansia sanguinea seed wanted or cutting...

Hi to all,

Was wondering if anyone knows where or who might have some Brugmansia sanguinea seed, or even cuttings.

Seed would be preferable, but I'm easy (at least that's what my wife tells me...lol).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx "space duck".

you know, even if this sub forum doesn't have many active topics atm, it doesn't mean you should post seed and plant exchange topics here.

i can say something ethno related to your post though, so i will not move it.

your location field say's nth oz, this means in short sanquinea will not grow there, because it's too hot for her.

you can grow all brugs up north but not the sanquinea, one can still grow them a bit in the highlands around byron bay, but they hate the heat.

they grow aquatorial but only in 1500m and more, and our table lands are not as high...

Is it that one in particular you want? I got some brugs seeds but dont know what sp, send us a pm if you're interested

your location field say's nth oz, this means in short sanquinea will not grow there, because it's too hot for her.

you can grow all brugs up north but not the sanquinea, one can still grow them a bit in the highlands around byron bay, but they hate the heat.

they grow aquatorial but only in 1500m and more, and our table lands are not as high...

I was speaking to a nursey about this & was given the same advice...but...seeing as how I'm at 1000m, I thought it might be worth a try. I thought if I kept it in a large pot & shaded during summer, it might work :scratchhead: . Thoughts?

I also don't have high humidity issues, most of the time during summer. Whether this plays a role I don't know.

The advice from the nursery was that this species has no perfume ( can't have perfume & beauty... :( ..oh well ! )

Excuse my misnavigation (if that's a word..lol), I'm still getting used to rules & formats of forums.

Is it that one in particular you want? I got some brugs seeds but dont know what sp, send us a pm if you're interested

Thanks for the offer Jonstn...but the dude from the nursery is a friend who has offered me cuttings of alternative sp. , so I'll have some coming soon anyway.

I'm definitely interested to hear from "planthelper" though, or anyone else, on my line of thinking...

thx guys ... :)

i think, the people down south would have some cuttings, seeds would be rare in oz.

if you are as high up as you say, than you might succeed, even in the north.

heat stress to plants, is not easy to combat, unless you have a cold house.

The SAB store has had seed in the past, and they may still have some. I bought a pack a year ago, but haven't had luck germinating them yet.

I dare say that if you do get a plant going where you are, it probably won't flower. I've never seen one in flower in Sydney (though I'd love to be proven wrong here).

The SAB store has had seed in the past, and they may still have some. I bought a pack a year ago, but haven't had luck germinating them yet.

I dare say that if you do get a plant going where you are, it probably won't flower. I've never seen one in flower in Sydney (though I'd love to be proven wrong here).

Hey Marcel, try putting some ice from the freezer on your pot of sanguinea seeds, snow fall on my pot of Silene and B. sanguinea seeds kickstarted germination.

Doesn't Kada grow this sanguinea where he is? I wonder if his plants have flowered

i have maybe 15 - 20 seeds left, got anything to trade? ( :

EDIT: 15 - 20 seeds of something else perhaps, otherwise you can just have 'em.

Edited by totemgoat

Tried growing this in Perth a year or two back without much success, germinated no worries, but died in the ass after about 2 ft of growth, the summers are a bit dry me thinks, wish i set them up better in a nice humid enviroment. a beautiful plant .

These plants really dont like warm and dry conditions.

The summers here in tas really knock mine around. so i wonder if 1000 m in queensland would be ok.

The love the cold and wet, dont like frosts.

They dont have a scent, but thats ok, because they are so beautiful, and spread like mad when they are happy.

All that being said, i also have some seed available if you want some. not overly fussed about the trade thing tho.

I'm a little concerned about how well they will germinate,and whether they will survive, but hey what the hell, go for it. why not!

Pm me if you want.

Cheers, Ob.

1000m in FNQ is the same climate as NNSW [we even have the same weeds]. sanguinea really doesn't like it in most areas here although i have seen it do well at Huonbrook which has a lot more cloud cover than most of the area. Managing microclimates can really help with expanding collections.

x

Edited by Psylo

There are some growing in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, at about 1000m. They're doing great there at the moment, but the summer was pretty cool and wet compared to some years, and the plants are only a couple of years old.

I have grown and flowered one in Newcastle (same climate as Sydney), however it didn't survice more than one season. Flowered at about 2 1/2 feet though, that was pretty cool.

Appreciate all the feedback & also the offers.

I think after hearing what everyone has to say, I might put it off for a while.

Like I said earlier, a friend has offered me some cuttings that do grow well in my region. So I might try growing the Brugs that grow successfully

here first & if I still feel the urge for the challenge then I'll reach out again at that stage.

Very deadly having all this info & resources available.

Thanks again, I feel very privileged to be a member within such a community.

Don't necessarily give up on Brugmansia sanguinea. There is always the chance that seedlings you germinate might have tolerance to warmer conditions. It would be interesting to try a breeding program. What you will probably find though is that plants do well for a couple of seasons but might be knocked about by a few really hot weeks. However, even on the north coast nsw there are cool ravines in the rainforests not too high up, near water, where the temperatures never seem to reach the full-on heat of elsewhere, little micro-climates where something unusual might grow. Not that I condone growing plants in the bush, necessarily. What is sad though, is that when the rainforest is cleared these micro-climates tend to just fade away. They don't seem to exist outside of rainforests.

Thanks whitewind

I think with you saying that, I'll get back to my, "you never know" train of thought.

Thanks guys... :)

but they grow realy well, in taz and vic and colder nsw locations.

• Like 1

most Winters here we will get a frost or 2 & we do get usually around 3mths of drizzle starting around Jan. From what you guys are saying Nov-Dec will be the hardest time for them to have to combat. They'll be in a greenhouse, but there is still some high temperatures to deal with. Will just have to wait & see.

By the way, how do you work out what zone you're in?