The Corroboree
kindness

Raising A.Phlebophylla

just go dig up soil from around other wattles to innoculate.

rhizobium is everywhere. and probably better to use from soil as there would be a better compliment of associated bacteria and fungi.

Has there been success with this? As I am doing tissue culture experiments, I would like to obtain a pure culture (but then I should just buy it lol). One experiment I was going to try was making a homogenate of some acacia nodules and culturing them/innoculating directly.

ah i see your point.

yes i have had success with my method.

but if you want a pure culture, the rhizobium within the nodule are maintained within a sterile environment, therefore would be easy enough to extract and then culture.

go find some longifolia dig up some seedlings and you should have plenty of nodules to work with. my understanding is that rhizobia are only specific to genus not to species, but given how big the acacia genus is, findign a species closely related should mean that the rhizobium should be fine.

• Like 3

ah i see your point.

yes i have had success with my method.

but if you want a pure culture, the rhizobium within the nodule are maintained within a sterile environment, therefore would be easy enough to extract and then culture.

go find some longifolia dig up some seedlings and you should have plenty of nodules to work with. my understanding is that rhizobia are only specific to genus not to species, but given how big the acacia genus is, findign a species closely related should mean that the rhizobium should be fine.

Good thinking! escaped me about the sterility

Yea well upon thinking upon my hedge I'll probably that the 9 or so accuminatas out and replace with phleb plants if the phlebs keep steaming along as they are. Winter will be their big test. The fresh gorgeous red growth on phlebs will look amazing on a hedge.

I can always remember my old rage teacher banging on about how acacias make awesome hedges. I'm basing this hedge entirely on his recommendation :) if it fails it fails of successful will be fricken awesome and a way to perhaps get these plants working in landscaping.

Those floribundas would hedge well :)

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

epic thread should re-discover soon!

Here's 5 of 7 that I have on the go.

post-13197-0-80470900-1430478917_thumb.j

I got experimental with a couple, after they didn't germ so I removed the seed coat with my finger nail, it was quite easy after being damp for a few weeks. It just slipped off lol Put back in the tube they popped up not long after that. The others I left and came up. Pretty tuff lil dude so far.

post-13197-0-80470900-1430478917_thumb.jpg

post-13197-0-80470900-1430478917_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

^ lol, missed this post. Was already thinkng same thing. Lol.

• Like 1

Edit

Fair enough OB, I'll take it all back.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 2

why derail this awesome thread both of you ?

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 3

Going well. getting cold and wet so they will be really happy. just like their natural habitat sans snow.

• Like 1

Sure I have one. I love them too. I didnt grow it from seed though.. It is definitely loving the cooler change in the air.

these are cold loving trees. you can tell they dont like too much summer heat. some of the ones i know in vic dont like the heat and it shows.

• Like 6

just keep em cool. theyll be fine.

We had a brutal summer here. We were still getting 33c in April. 30c today. I can't ever remember it being this hot consistantly this late in the year. My phleb still grew and threw out new growth during summer. The leaves would turn leathery looking as i had it in full sun most of the day but it showed no real signs of distress. I would say its highly adaptive. I will treat her kinder this summer with a nice cool spot in a green house

Edited by shroomau5
  • Like 1

good to hear. sounds like a plan