The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
flora

Venus Jupiter conjunction June 30 - July 2

Heads up for anyone who hasn’t yet heard about the Venus / Jupiter conjunction happening currently. Getting close tonight June 30 and closer tomorrow night. Still time to get out and take a look hopefully its not too cloudy.
I think they are supposed appear to the naked eye as one super bright star, like the Star of Bethlehem which was a similar event.

Have a look from 1/2 hour after sunset to the west, and slightly north... good for 2 hours or so

some info http://astroblogger.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/venus-jupiter-and-moon-do-planet-dance.html

• Like 5

clear skies here, clouds blew away :)

high in the sky, hard to miss... its heaps bright,.. but they are not that close

venus must be rather full, it has been bright lately, outshining jupiter by a good measure. this should be super cool!

i remember a couple of years ago i had a fantastic view of pre-dawn whenever i set off for work and for weeks there was this blinding display of planets!! some of you will remember. even the cityfolk were noticing it.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I've been watching them get closer together lately, a week ago the moon was right near them, very cool. Didn't realise they were going to align, mad! Even htough I'm in the burbs the night skies are really clear for stars. Councils should make more night-sky friendly lampposts though. Gonna check it out. Might see if the fun gus like it too.

Edit: Also there are apps for phones which are cool, I have SkyGuide and it's pretty decent just to locate stars although it can take some getting used to

Edited by FancyPants
  • Like 1

Tonight's the night apparently!

Been looking forward to this!

Did anyone else notice there seemed to be a slightly gold/green tinge to the aligned planets?

Cool I check it out but the space station was way off in another part of the sky. Yet I would not have known what it was otherwise. Did it seem to pass close from Syd?

• Like 1

Cool I check it out but the space station was way off in another part of the sky. Yet I would not have known what it was otherwise. Did it seem to pass close from Syd?

Yeah right between them (but not for long!)

Check out these photos...