The Corroboree
Darklight

Page loading weirdness

Firefox on Mint. Last week or two.

Pages taking ages to load completely- in some case several minutes. Pages from other unrelated sites load much faster

Is the site hogging bandwidth for some extra reason? Or is it unreasonably slow?

I'm on a 3G connection, and it's normally slow. But for a week or so it's been super slow for SAB only

Loading normally here, but for the last week or two the icon by the post number has been broken.

Is your end loading all else and then just continuing to say loading as it looks for that icon?

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/public/style_images/2012imgsB/icon_share.png

• Like 1

It seems to load completely in a lot of instances, but the little tab wheel at the top keeps spinning anyhow

You're prolly right :D

Try running a ping or mtr to SAB alongside a ping to google or Yahoo. Open 2 terminals and paste - ping yahoo.com into one and hit enter and paste or type (without the hyphen) - ping shaman-australis.com into the other and hit enter.

You can also run an mtr under linux which is a combined traceroute and ping, you do that the same way as a ping just type mtr yahoo.com and/or mtr shaman-australis.com in another terminal. The mtr gives you more data and will show you where the packets are being dropped or where the bottleneck is.

I've pulled right back from the web lately because of what I can only see to be government snooping, basically the same issue as yours but I've traced all the packets and have solid proof my connection is being monitored.

5 eyes is collecting everything.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 2

Ooh noice ta!

I got this via ping, my VPN and google

$: ping google.com -c9

time=546 ms

time=358 ms

time=359 ms
time=350 ms
time=375 ms
time=336 ms

time=335 ms
time=365 ms

9 packets transmitted, 8 received, 11% packet loss, time 9357ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 335.935/378.445/546.280/64.680 ms

I got this for SAB via ping and my VPN

$: ping shaman-australis.com -c9

PING shaman-australis.com (199.195.193.108) 56(84) bytes of data.
time=817 ms
time=692 ms

time=705 ms
time=621 ms
time=644 ms
time=669 ms
time=881 ms

--- shaman-australis.com ping statistics ---
9 packets transmitted, 7 received, 22% packet loss, time 8337ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 621.461/718.954/881.254/88.212 ms

$: ping shaman-australis.com -c9

PING shaman-australis.com (199.195.193.108) 56(84) bytes of data.
time=1405 ms

time=1245 ms
time=1330 ms
time=3035 ms
time=602 ms
time=639 ms
time=666 ms

time=587 ms
time=612 ms

--- shaman-australis.com ping statistics ---
9 packets transmitted, 9 received, 0% packet loss, time 11169ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 587.463/1124.987/3035.382/749.557 ms, pipe 2

I pinged SAB twice b/c first time I got a 22% packet loss, I had it also for google the first time but deleted it. I'm on a 3G connection out in the back of nowhere

Ran the mtr command but couldn't find a way to get it to output to a logfile, data showed on terminal but just scrolled down the screen and wouldn't save.

Can you make anything of this Sally? Is not much understandable, but it looks like Auxin is right, the problem is within the page, maybe that icon loading thing, not at the server end

They're pretty woeful yahoo ping times, very similar to my vodafone 3g fraudband connection.

So if you take the connection timing from a yahoo ping there is certainly a discrepancy with the SAB ping timing or some sort of bottleneck along the route - just like my connections to SAB. From what I can make out the SAB server seems to have been assigned an acceptable ring priority so the bottlenecks seem to be occurring on intermediary servers along the route. It's hard to say without seeing the mtr results, a screen shot is the easiest way to capture the real time update. Linux Mint (recent versions) have a screen shot capture utility under the accessories sub menu. Recently there have been several undisclosed IP's showing along the route (with ???) that seem to be limited in bandwidth that slow the connection down to crawl.

A bit of creative packet injection will normally make those servers drop the connection and give up the IP through the normal redundancy mechanisms involved with proxy traffic.

I 100% believe this is the standard Liberal (coalition) mode of operandi, we witnessed this with the Howard gov in the aftermath of 911, then it dropped off when Kevin 07 took office. Coincidently it kicked again in the very same day Abbott was sworn in. We're all naughty little kids that need to be monitored by the coalition from their perverted mindset.

Personally I believe that the authorities really couldn't give a pygmy fuck about SAB or most of us for that matter, but they are databasing everything they can and storing it for posterity. As far as rorting the tax system goes our field interest is infinitesimal or even almost non existent, so we have a really low priority on the watch lists, hence the low priority/limited bandwidth on the intercepting servers which slow down our connections.

I'm sure they are much more focused on matters of state involving terrorism and associated propaganda lately.

They are watching us but the ethno movement is not a drug culture, which is a grey area for authorities, they seem to be watching but have no precedent or mandate that will ensure a successful prosecution. If they try a case it could go either way and given recent developments in the US and the UK it could backfire on the gov and leave them with a costly red herring that sets a legal precedent that they don't want.

Just be aware this is standard coalition policy. If you are connected to the internet then Tony Abbot and his mates see that as opportuntiy to go through the drawer where you keep your undies (so to speak).

You'd think they'd shell out for splitter cabinet like they do in the US, at least that way they wouldn't hog our bandwidth.

Fuck the Liberals and Fuck Tony Abbott, they can shove their US style invasions fair up their (stretched, sold out) arseholes. If I was to point a telescope into the bedroom of young girl, I'd be branded as perverted freak, but they (the coalition) do much worse everyday without repercussion.

Get these cunts out of office forever. I'll never forget the misdoings of this corrupt, greedy, dishonest government.

Sorry for the rant DL, I didn't intend to dump that in your thread. I've broken my back again and the normal social filters seem somewhat irrelevant at the moment.

• Like 1

Damn, sorry to hear your back is snapped, I hope it heals fast and well for you

That was a bloody excellent rant- please don't apologise for it, and I agree with you except for a few points:

I don't believe our govt is interested in surveillance for the purpose of chasing up tax avoidance at all. If they were interested in tax avoidance, governments would be chasing up larger players who manage to minimise their tax liabilities. No govt can afford to do that

I agree that our govts aren't interested overly in the ethno community per se. Anything illicit that is raised for them is mostly by-catch

What govts are doing is gold plating surveillance capacity, just like has happened for the NSW grid electricity network. Throwing money at it now in the expectation that it will become more useful and user- friendly in the future. The waters were well and truly tested so the public are amenable to it, there haven't been any political repercussions from it, everyone just rolled over and went back to sleep after Snowden fell out of the headlines. Credible alternative network building/ opsec is either the preserve of cranks like us, or has been infiltrated, or both

I do believe much of this has been done out of ignorance and stupidity, because if you have some shiny gear and some well prepared presentations, it's easy to bamboozle some suit in an unrelated field and convince them that the end is nigh for their electorate unless they buy whatever it is you're selling. Large herds of these people congregate and pat each other on the back about how much safer they are now, completely ignorant of the wider issue. And amongst them are a few, malevolent, well placed dickheads who really believe this is for our own good/ national security/ isn't hurting anyone/ if you have nothing to hide etc

It's not what's happening online now that is of interest, by and large. Right now they're still stoked that the storage capacity is even there. It's getting us ready for total surveillance in 20 years. Is like when you break in a horse, you don't chuck a full bit in it's mouth and a heavy saddle and race it round the track. You get it used to the tack first, keep it light and once it's inured to the weight it's more amenable to instructions

Who knows what political directives will be governing surveillance in 20 years? Not me. I don't even have a conspiracy theory for this, I just think it's the inevitable result of a critical mass of stupid after it meets mass inertia and has shiny new toys to play with. The real evils are a way off yet, we may not even recognise the worst of them

Although it may just be enough that, in 20 years, there will be a full record of all someone's online stupidity, lolcat choices, 3am rants and pathetic attempts at adultery to make an individual tractable via the threat of public humiliation. Or unemployable. Or politically malleable. Who knows

I remember when Big Brother first emerged from the sludge and appeared on TV. I thought they were taking the piss, what with the name and everything. Then I realised it was a socially acceptable way of turning full scale personal surveillance into entertainment. Then it started making the news. We've gone slowly downhill since then wrt outrage at surveillance

If this turns into a conspiracy thread we can ask to have it binned into Bitches :)

I'll screenshot the mrt and put some up in a minute, you've got me interested too, and your instructions are easy to follow

Here's a screengrab of my mtr to google.com using my VPN

post-12-0-67191200-1409518203_thumb.png

This one's my mtr to shaman-australis.com using my VPN

post-12-0-60814400-1409518206_thumb.png

Here's the mtr to google.com without VPN

post-12-0-51388200-1409519634_thumb.png

And SAB without VPN

post-12-0-37800100-1409519691_thumb.jpg

Doesn't seem to me to be much difference? But you'd know better Sally

Thanks for your patience, I'm interested in the outcome one way or another, without prejudice, but even moreso I appreciate you taking the time to teach me this in case I ever need it again

Yo Darklight. Seriously not much difference there with pings. Can't really see what the issue would be from that alone, so maybe it's browser related. Try another one.

Open your terminal, sudo apt-get install chromium-browser, check to see with chromium to see if it's firefox on mint that is having trouble loading PHP content on SAB.

I can also run you through logging what's happening when firefox is loading sab and troubleshooting that way if you'd like.

Edit: Sorry just properly looked at your MTR through VPN and you're getting packet loss which would account for slower loading from VPN, but if it's loading slow without VPN as well then try browser change and report back.

Edited by indigo264nm

Yeah that seems to be an issue with your VPN from those results, as Indigo said if it's still slow/funky it could be a browser issue when you connect sans the VPN.

This site has really bogged down for me, it seems the entire route from when it leaves my ISP compromised. The service to this site is so poor I don't come here much anymore. I can click on reply to a thread and go away and make a cup of coffee and come back with it and still have to wait for the fucken thing to load the editor so I can type a reply. I don't have any issues with other sites dropping shitloads of packets along the way. I consider 3% packet loss to be excessive.

Check out this for typical sample of what I have to put up with.

Sometimes the route is fine until it gets to the unknown.telstraglobal.net server, then it starts dropping packets other times like tonight almost the entire route is compromised.