The Corroboree
Heffa

ID from the fields...

Question

I was out trekking through the local pastures this morning and stumbled across and extremely aggressive looking plant, deterred by the lack of fungal activity around i was intrigued by this botanical Frankenstein.

I am guessing its of the solanaceae family due to its flowers and resemblance to a tomato - BUT WITH RAZOR SHARP NEEDLES protruding out of its stems and leaves. The flowers are different to a tomatillo but it produced fruit similar to that of a tiny watermellon.

Anyway - I've attached out of focus phone photos and i'd like an identification before i begin to grow this around my fortress around my seedling area to keep the possums and my sister at bay! Mwahahaha

The Flower

post-7386-128625057643_thumb.jpg

The Plant

post-7386-128625058476_thumb.jpg

The Fruit

post-7386-12862505673_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone! :lol:

11 answers to this question

I was out trekking through the local pastures this morning and stumbled across and extremely aggressive looking plant, deterred by the lack of fungal activity around i was intrigued by this botanical Frankenstein.

I am guessing its of the solanaceae family due to its flowers and resemblance to a tomato - BUT WITH RAZOR SHARP NEEDLES protruding out of its stems and leaves. The flowers are different to a tomatillo but it produced fruit similar to that of a tiny watermellon.

Anyway - I've attached out of focus phone photos and i'd like an identification before i begin to grow this around my fortress around my seedling area to keep the possums and my sister at bay! Mwahahaha

The Flower

The Plant

The Fruit

Thanks everyone! :lol:

Definitely Solanum. Possibly Solanum linnaeanum

Awww man, i was hoping the fruit was edible cause the family just ate a salad i made out of them.

Hahaha only joking...

Thanks for the id, i might just take some stomping boots out next time i'm trekking through the fields :-)

WITH EXTRA THICK SOLES!

Thanks again everyone!

Awww man, i was hoping the fruit was edible cause the family just ate a salad i made out of them.

Holy shit you scared me...

Always called them paddy melons.

Grandad would sooner clobber us with a shovel than let us near a paddy melon.

• Like 1

One of the links i added in my above post states that this plant can be beneficial. The plant belongs to 10 most active root sources in Ayurvedic medicine. Thus, it is highly valued in Indian traditional medicine.( thats if it is the same plant) And can even treat gonorrhea.smile.gif

i grew this apple of sodom even in cold europa very nicly,

and it has such a strong character, a bit like an armoured dinosaur.

the name might suggest, that those are the apples you have to eat if you are a sinner, hahaha.

but i secretly hoped at times that, sodom means, if you use it correctly, you get horny as a goat, hahaha.

definatel a good plant to grow, for all the nightshade enthusiasts.

maybe they have a link with gold tops, as one can see them often in the same vecinety.

it looks like its related to the Paddy Mellon (Cucumis myriocarpus) deffo part of the Cucurbitaceae family.

Cucurbitacin is a biochemical compound, a steroid that some plants developed in order to defend themselves from herbivores. It is a poison to some animals and it is considered to be one of the bitterest tastes to humans

so yeah good for making you :puke:

mac, a cucurbitaceae can't be related to a solanum, nic comparisment though.

it's definately a solanum flower in the topicstarters pic!

your cucurbitaceae flowers look just like cucumber flowers.

post-70-128649671371_thumb.jpg

Wild%20melon.jpg

Wild%20melon.jpg

def apple of soddom ,grows on farms round here. Is it of any ethno value at all? I think i read somewhere its sap is applied to warts and skin cancers :huh:

Good link there gerbil!

mac im not going bush food foraging with you man :puke:

Edited by blowng