The Corroboree
zero

seed ID

Question

Hi guys,

I found this interesting looking seed at a antiques shop, the guy had no idea what tree it was from.

phytophiliac might like this so might I should start a silent auction.

any ideas what it is?

peace

zero

post-5770-12804538966_thumb.jpg

post-5770-128045390892_thumb.jpg

post-5770-128045391964_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Is this woody or spongy ? is it light or heavy ?The fist pic' looks like a old passionfruit with the guts taken out of it.

haha woops, I forgot to even talk about the seed.

its way too thick to be passionfruit, its hard wood, and there is a big seed inside.

I really should give it a good clean.

Maybe its this? TaguaNutWhole.jpg Although it does look a little different ,but it seems that there are variations.

TAGUA NUT is a renewable rainforest crop used in place of ivory, thus called Vegetable Ivory. The Tagua Nut is the dried seed pod of the Tagua Palm tree. These seeds are harvested in the rainforests of Ecuador. While it may take many years for them to form, the harvesting does no harm to the trees allowing for many years of productive growth. Once the nuts are harvested and dried, they form a very hard material very similar to animal Ivory in appearance and workability. Covered in a tough outer skin which when peeled reveals an Ivory-white interior. The Tagua nut ages like Ivory, has a similar appearance, and lasts very long, just like animal Ivory.

Edit: maybe not, just looking back over google images and i realize that this is a nut ,not a seed pod. It was worth a try!

Edited by Amazonian

I dont know what it is??? have been looking and trying to find that one out for some time.

im sure I will find out one day.

but wow there are some cool seeds around ay.

If the seed inside was viable ??? you could plant it and ..Hey Presto, Thats what its from!biggrin.gif

I can just see inside the crack and it looks like a bug has eaten a hold in the seed :(

I was thinking that when I got it.

still great for desplay.