The Corroboree
trucha

How to recognize a bridgesii

Question

I think this is as far as I am goign to take it but hope these four posts can helps us keep our plants on parallel paths rather than puddling into one unworkable morass where they probably belong.

If I HAVE to I'll add more but hopefully this is enough to get this insanity tour started properly.

I was wondering what features can reliably recognize a bridgesii.

a couple of cuttings i purchased that are very different im unsure if the one on the right is a bridgsii cross ? or some other species because of the look & number of spines

DSCF0003-2.jpg

Edited by mac
  • Like 1

I can't get enough of seeing this plant in the Witches Market of La Paz.

post-19-1234833375_thumb.jpg

Where's Waldo?

post-19-1234833594_thumb.jpg

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

Just a tip mate, its "Wheres Wally" here in Oz. :wink:

P.S im very envious of you traveling to all these great locations, you lucky fella.

Edited by Mr B.caapi

Just out of curiosity would you say the cactus p\on the right in pic from my last post above is a birdgsii X ? ?

If so WTF would you call it ?

Edited by mac

Just a tip mate, its "Wheres Wally" here in Oz. :wink:

P.S im very envious of you traveling to all these great locations, you lucky fella.

"Where's Wally"...I'll remember that. And sad to say caapi, I can't afford with time or money the ability to travel, so I do the next best thing, I spend leisure time digging through photos of the travels of others at Flicker.com, Google's Picasa, Worldisround.com, etc. I've been pretty much back and forth across the Andes multiple times and I've amassed over a 1GB of habitat photos from Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, and Bolivia, with the clear majority falling into T. pachanoi, T. peruvianus, T. cuzcoensis, and T. bridgesii, but with a nice sampling of the more southern giant. I still can't find one shot of T. scopulicola in habitat though, and the only T. scop I have photos of in SA are in Chile.

If you haven't joined The Nook yet it may be worth anyone's while to register just to see the 15 page thread in which I post either these photos or links to them. Here are a couple of my most recent finds, cactus in Sarata, Bolivia, which is slightly inland from the east side of Lake Titicaca (north west of La Paz). One looks like T. bridgesii, and one like T. pachanoi.

post-19-1235305808_thumb.jpg post-19-1235305826_thumb.jpg

mac, your plant on the right looks like the "T. peruvianus (T. cuzcoensis?)", but that since I brought forward this possible misidentification is often just referred to as T. cuzcoensis.

~Michael~

post-19-1235305808_thumb.jpg

post-19-1235305826_thumb.jpg

post-19-1235305808_thumb.jpg

post-19-1235305826_thumb.jpg

There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.

- William James, under the influence of nitrous oxide

This probably applies to Bridgsii..........

S A T O R

A R E P O

T E N E T

O P E R A

R O T A S

http://www.zaubereigarten.com/index.htm

Deitsch Hexology-Magic Plants

Edited by Frank Blank

a couple of cuttings i purchased that are very different im unsure if the one on the right is a bridgsii cross ? or some other species because of the look & number of spines

DSCF0003-2.jpg

got a similar one sold to me as a bridgesii

post-9271-0-78292600-1297494889_thumb.jp

and then this one i got as a cuzco "because its got the pairs of downwards facing spines" the seller told me...

post-9271-0-33449800-1297495176_thumb.jp

post-9271-0-20209200-1297495776_thumb.jp

post-9271-0-78292600-1297494889_thumb.jpg

post-9271-0-33449800-1297495176_thumb.jpg

post-9271-0-20209200-1297495776_thumb.jpg

post-9271-0-78292600-1297494889_thumb.jpg

post-9271-0-33449800-1297495176_thumb.jpg

post-9271-0-20209200-1297495776_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2meke

Check out this fine photo of one of the coolest T. bridgesii in habitat I've seen.

Here is the actual link as there are comments about it. I seriously need to brush up on my Spanish.

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

http://trout.yage.net/sc/Echinopsis_lageniformis.html

this description (1861) of the plant being called bridgesii is very interesting, it was said to be collected in Peru, has very short spines and several radial spines, it has either no central spines or has a single central spine on older growth

clearly this is not what we correlate with T bridgesii

given this, the name echinopsis lageniformis is easily dismissed as invalid

B&R state that bridgesii is much like T peruvianus, but that the latter has thicker and darker spines...

then when you compare Ecuadorian pachanoi to bridgesii... the distinctions between them become questionable from several points of view

• Like 1

Check out this fine photo of one of the coolest T. bridgesii in habitat I've seen.

Here is the actual link as there are comments about it. I seriously need to brush up on my Spanish.

~Michael~

I used google translator on that text, some in depth stuff!

Spanish to English translation

Achuma, achokahia, La Paz, Bolivia 2008

The world we perceive IS LIMITED

The world we perceive is limited, finite, and has moments grossly material plane. This world is nothing more than half of the real world. We note with eyes only 180 degrees of the whole 360 ​​degrees. Where are the remaining 180 degrees? They are in an invisible world inside us. An invisible world made up of the interiors of all beings in the universe. This lesson is called the lesson of llatunka (number nine). It turns out that the outside is 180 degrees of visible reality and the inner are actually 180 degrees from the internal or invisible world. The causes of all are housed mostly in the invisible world, and that is why our will (internally) our ideas, ideologies (internal), our dreams and desires (internal) makes it possible to change the world. And meditation is what leads us to perceive more clearly the inner world and how to act on it.

The ritual of the table, offering and sharing a meal with the goddess of all that is on earth, Pachamama, at its junction with the tutelary spirits of mountains, saints, ideologies ... is a way things operate in the visible world to directly influence the invisible world and thereby transforming part of that world visible. Do something material for the material universe, IN looking to focus your will on the fact that these actions are reversed the material world and cause certain effects: that is the magic, the simplest. Like say I want a person waiting for his soul be moved and respond hugging or giving a kiss. The most simple and powerful action of the universe.

Amuki Em (mute) is meditation in which one shuts up and shut up your voice and your brain. It used to come to perceive the chuju (silence of the outside world). The amuky allows us to hear the rest and then listen chuju us access to the language of our ancestors, the basic language of life and nature. That way you can learn to know the invisible world better and to use magic to influence the world visible.

It is about the transformations operate within a clear but looking for effects on material reality, vulgar and visible which we live.

That's the basic idea of ​​the internal revolution, changing yourself to change the world, but now supplemented by a requirement to obtain magical results directly in that action is fixed and all this will cease to be pure ritual paraphernalia symbolic and becomes pure magic sincere heart. This is in addition to reconfigure our own lives and raise levels of human existence to live well, no more fucking, sucking fun, I know, so many things that one would like to do.

Llatunka teaching me the brothers spent Sariri community (Walker of the Andes) family pacajes Huanacuni side in the Aymara highlands near the border with Chile (Bolivia).

The ideas of revolution have been known inside the 60. The path of l @ s hippies, squatters l @ s, the individualist anarchists of Oriental and Asian traditions of meditation, Buddhism, the fakir, Zen, vipassana, a radical stance craziest Christ good son, who turned water into wine and multiplied the guides speaking only of his love, squatting and communitarianism, neo-primitivism as a search for the essence of primitive life, and finally what Nietzsche called the casuistry of selfishness , self-determination in the extreme surreal (make reality a dream), are the little things that make this practice that the alchemy of a call by yourself, to influence the whole.

The awakening of our divinity, a concept of divinity away from scholastic religious traditions, the need to accept that the world is more than just see and thanks to it we can influence it.

The will to power as the will to bend reality, mutate through our own mutation.

Magicians, crazy, motivated by the flame of fire, love that shines on top of our hearts. Mutants, neither workers nor students, mutants, crazy, ready to transform the world by an anarchist way, relying on the Kaos, that anything is possible, dancing until dawn with the sole purpose to convene tomorrow to Sun to be able to fire spontaneously and gradually all the crap, all the money stupid garbage and values ​​that have made this corner of paradise a selfish bastard that all they do is pounding her party to pass through here as being they live or inanimate bumps on the road.

Our hearts of giants ready to fly. Thanks for reading or hearing these words.

note made for fanzine "now is the future" by roadrunner

Bolivia 2006

• Like 2

P1140239.jpg P1140238.jpg

TIG (oz) bridgesii - still the fattest

• Like 1

P1140239.jpg P1140238.jpg

TIG (oz) bridgesii - still the fattest

Get yourself a Psycho0 then. ;)

• Like 3

I have a psychO but its relatively new arrival. From descriptions, and especially of the double spine motive noted on PsychO, it is perfectly possible that TIG=PsychoO. TIG consistently does the double spine motive, and is pretty recognisable by that and fatness alone, at least in my collection and in my eyes .. PsychoO is still a 20cm freshly rooted cutting...

or? how would you recognise some clone?

IMO it dont deserve a name if its not describable someway...

but this is just my opinion...

eilleen doesn do too many spines, TIG can go 10 cm (spine length)

PS: this is called macroscopic identification btw

Edited by sagiXsagi

I have a psychO but its relatively new arrival. From descriptions, and especially of the double spine motive noted on PsychO, it is perfectly possible that TIG=PsychoO. TIG consistently does the double spine motive, and is pretty recognisable by that and fatness alone, at least in my collection and in my eyes .. PsychoO is still a 20cm freshly rooted cutting...

Once you see Psycho0 and Tig growing in the same garden near each other you will realise they are quite different. I have seen other people make the same comparison when they only owned one of these clones. But really, they look quite different from each other.

Tig does do a double spine arangement, but really, it's more of a double-double arrangement with two facing upward and two facing down. Psycho0 does not display a similar, symmetrical double spine arrangement at all.

• Like 2

tig /left / & psycho0 /right/, despined but difference can be seen in colour too.. grown in the same pot, psycho0 is darker blue and a little bit faster :rolleyes: / Photo taken winter 2014 /

IMG_0025%2B-%2B%25D0%259A%25D0%25BE%25D0

The difference in colour can be seen as well with these recent cuttings ..

psycho0:

IMG_1157.JPG

and tig:

IMG_1069.JPG

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 3

Here are a couple of one year old bridgesii.

The tall one is an SS02 X OPEN and the little one is a Psycho0. :lol:

P1000885.JPG

P1000953.JPG

P1000953.thumb.JPG.5e1156950898e704297f103a751692db.JPG

P1000885.thumb.JPG.bce657963aa45ab9b715bd32fb1c310c.JPG

P1000953.thumb.JPG.5e1156950898e704297f103a751692db.JPG

P1000885.thumb.JPG.bce657963aa45ab9b715bd32fb1c310c.JPG

Edited by Cactus Wes