The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
coolname

whats going on with my pawpaws?

hey guys i have a couple of different varieties of papaya growing and have notices something strange going on with one of them. It is a hermaphrodite variety i got from bunnings labled as 'bisexual yellow'. Anyway it has been producing heaps of tasty fruit which has always grown normally like any other type. A couple of months ago i gave all of them some dynamic lifter and applied some lime because the soil was getting a bit acidic. Since then pretty much all of the fruit this plant has produced has had the seeds germinating inside of the fruit. As in when i cut the fruit open to eat, it has a bunch of little pawpaw plants growing inside of it. But none of the other types have done this even though they are growing within a few feet of eachother, and i cant understand why. Does anyone have any ideas why this would be? I understand that there is some type of hormone that plants produce to stop seeds from germinating inside of a fruit, but dont understand why just this one plant is doing this

pics?

Edited by bullit

bullit i dont have a camera at the moment and there are no ripe fruit, but there should be in the next couple of weeks so i will upload a few then

Correct procedure in dealing with this, or any of life's problems really:

1. Shrug.

2. Plant seeds.

3. Eat fruit.

4. Put on a pot of tea (optional, but recommended)

On a more serious note though, I have no idea, but that's very interesting. Maybe the lifter you applied was a bit much or just threw the plant into overdrive? Or maybe it was some kind of funky survival response to a sudden change in the pH of the soil?

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 2

gtarman yeah im not complaining, im just confused and would like to understand why this is happening. They are still very good to eat. And yeah thats what i was thinking, maybe it has something to do with the sudden PH change

it is interesting indeed. all mine died off from rootrot with all this rain we had on my hard silly soil(?) makes me wonder if mine would have done that as the plant was dying if it had fruits on it at the time.

wonder i do...

ghosty im not too sure because this plant is still very healthy and growing the same as it always has apart from the seeds germinating inside of the fruit for the last couple of months

Your poor pawpaw!

Sounds weird man. Maybe it's a trap. Or it's cursed and eating it will cause you to spontaneously mutate or something.

• Like 3

Your poor pawpaw!

Sounds weird man. Maybe it's a trap. Or it's cursed and eating it will cause you to spontaneously mutate or something.

Maybe......

xenodimensional yes it could just be another government conspiracy. I reckon it has something to do with chemtrails. Or maybe the north Koreans have something to do with it i will never know

• Like 1

xenodimensional yes it could just be another government conspiracy. I reckon it has something to do with chemtrails. Or maybe the north Koreans have something to do with it i will never know

Oh yes it must be the chemtrails. You'd better not alert the authorities or you and the pawpaw might disappear.

• Like 1

I know it's an old thread, but i finally got some pics of the fruit with seeds germinating. check it outpost-12747-0-13548100-1426548280_thumb.jpost-12747-0-87806800-1426548289_thumb.j

post-12747-0-13548100-1426548280_thumb.jpg

post-12747-0-87806800-1426548289_thumb.jpg

post-12747-0-13548100-1426548280_thumb.jpg

post-12747-0-87806800-1426548289_thumb.jpg

That is so cool. Interesting to see it's still doing this after 2 or so years..

I have a Babaco 'Champagne' growing.. Apparently a hybrid Pawpaw or something? Very excited for tje fruit nonetheless :)

• Like 1

same thing i had in a pumpkin the other day! really weird!

• Like 1