The Corroboree

lol, ^ that would be easy-ish :).

EDIT: dontcha hate it when.... the page turns.

Yes jwerta, the peace symbol would be doable.

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

Beautiful artwork AMz, ur a very talented woman! U will have enough orders from this place to start a small business!

• Like 1

Amazonian you must be quite wealthy ? :) Jade is so F&*(^n expensive how can you afford to carve it up and then give it away? Isn't black the most expensive outside of NZ greenstone? and Isn't NZ greenstone illegal to transport outside of NZ if it is raw or not carved and then dearer than gold if it is carved, They have nice Jade but its no better than other nice jades from other places, right???

edit to say beautiful work :) and fix typos:)

Edited by dworx
  • Like 1

Wealthy??, lol. I like all the shades of jade, but as black is a favorite shade of mine, i like the black Jade most of all. I am unaware of the legalities of importing jade. Something i will look into .:)

Thanks dworx :)

yeah, amz drives around in

Lamborghini Countach

made of jade

edit:ps dremel is amazing

Edited by etherealdrifter
  • Like 1

yeah, amz drives around in

Lamborghini Countach

made of jade

edit:ps dremel is amazing

LOL oh i see!!!!!!!!! :)

Awesome man, the effort you put in to it certainly shows! With the transparent piece, is that a symbol showing through? Or is it me?

@dworx Yes it is illegal to gather -without permission of the Ngai Tahu?-, as all naturally occurring pounamu is property of the Ngai Tahu tribe. There is also a large sum of lore that goes along with it. Like for instance pounamu holds great mana(power) and you cannot buy it for yourself. You must be given it and so on and so forth~ It is a really remarkable stone though! I never take off the pounamu necklace my Mother gave to me. :blush:

Edited by ErraneousHerbalist
  • Like 1

Awesome man, the effort you put in to it certainly shows! With the transparent piece, is that a symbol showing through? Or is it me?

Yeah, there is a symbol on that piece i used to show the transparency. Very observant of you ErraneousHerbalist. It is the symbol of Aum. It is actually the Amulet that got me addicted to this new hobby :)

Eth'..... Your a lol :P ....(Good value).

• Like 1

Yeah, there is a symbol on that piece i used to show the transparency. Very observant of you ErraneousHerbalist. It is the symbol of Aum. It is actually the Amulet that got me addicted to this new hobby :)

I knew it! Wasn't sure though :P

@dworx Yes it is illegal to gather -without permission of the Ngai Tahu?-, as all naturally occurring pounamu is property of the Ngai Tahu tribe. There is also a large sum of lore that goes along with it. Like for instance pounamu holds great mana(power) and you cannot buy it for yourself. You must be given it and so on and so forth~ It is a really remarkable stone though! I never take off the pounamu necklace my Mother gave to me. :blush:

Hey yeah I see the symbol too now:)

EH I was told about the pounamu by a local Kiwi, he gave me the impression he beleived the stuff is all cursed and he would not even touch a peice if it were handed to him, He told me a few stories to back up his claims too [NZ urban myths I assume,lol], are you maori? I have read alot about jades online I had a tiki given to me by family friends that viisted NZ when I was a child [4-5 years old] and I loved it to death I thought wow jade, and have had such fascination with jade since, I was never bothered by it being jadeite or nephrite just jade, Jade always captured my eyes especially in Chinatown - dixon street Sydney:) well that and the food. After about a year the tiki snapped - was only plastic,lol [childhood innocence].

I have a few little peices of Jade - I wouldnt mind trying to carve some, Is it hard Amz?? It used to be used for battle armour in Asia because of its toughness, made a heavy suit of armour , I bet. Little plates of jade laced together. It speaks a lot of the warriors strength I think all the weight they carried to do battle and to actually still be able to work a sword. getting off track :)

Edited by dworx

I had a tiki given to me my family friends that viisted NZ when I was a child [4-5 years old] and I loved it to death I thought wow jade, and have had such fascination well that and the food. After about a year the tiki snapped - was only plastic,lol [childhood innocence].

I have a few little peices of Jade - I wouldnt mind trying to carve some, Is it hard Amz??

LOL...re; the plastic Tiki . dworx, i know you are clever....Jade carving is easy, and i am sure you could produce some nice peices too;)

:)

Argh I dont know Amz I am not good at fiddly stuff:)

Maybe I can save and buy something from you :) I am lazy like that :)

Edited by dworx

^ Maybe we can swap our work dworx .

I know I would have the better deal if that was the case,lol. I dont think you should step into a deal knowing you are gonna lose out Amz,

You :mmmm woo a carving?????????? should be worth 10cent I will ask to swap for my $50.00 carving:)

Me : Yeah let's do this,lol.

Seriously though, You would lose, I couldnt even suggest it, and, I would get laughed at :)

Edited by dworx

^ lol, Enough with the charade dworx. .Guys... dworx is clever, he just doesn't want to steal the limelight. :)

Ah, the Tagua nut, yes i am familiar with that. Yeah, i like to dabble. I am sure i will work with many different materials during my life. I am chasing some naturally shed antler at the moment?!.

very often the carver, over time chooses, harder and harder materials to work with (i mean the 2nd harder, relating to the mohs scale). so you could look into carving different minerals, if you have the right tools for this. amber is realy nice to carve aswell, but almost too soft.

antler would be realy nice, i hope you find some for little money.

i knew a kiwi bone carver, who sold his stuff like cup cakes at eumundi, his trick was to use the skull of cows, because you can carve bigger things with it, and you get more flat surface, than with other bones.

Edited by planthelper

i absolutely love that little loph button :) you lucky man tipz i want one

i have a bunch of chrysoprase here and i have a dremel maybe i should buy a few lil diamond tipped pieces

you've definately inspired me to give it a go :)

i'd probly suck at it though haha

maybe i should send you a few pieces

and get you to carve a few lil loph buttons for me :)

and just send enough so you coud keep some for yourself as a bit of a payment

chrysoprase is aparantly wat the'yre slowly replacing jade with as jade gets rarer

i dont really know wat to do with the stuff it seems like its worth a bit of money looking on ebay

i have like 5 kilo's of rough rock

i was considering trying to sell it on ebay as there seems to be alot of people selling it on there

and for alot of money to

• Like 1

chrysoprase is nice too myco. You should have a go at carving for sure. It is pretty addictive though. Its hard to remember that you have dinner cooking in the oven when your in your own little world carving away. When you start on a piece, you don't want to put it down, kinda like a good book.

To cut a workable bit off the chunk of chrysoprase that you have myco, i would use a small diamond disc.You can get like 1" ones that fit a Dremel. You need to lubricate as you cut, so either partly submerse your work in a dish of water whist cutting, or do it under a dripping tap....But remember... Water and electricity don't mix,,,,,so be careful. I have a circuit breaker, which i am sure has saved my life a few times. Lubricating cools the stone and helps to avoid cracking, and makes the job a bit easier on the diamond bit. Your bits/discs will last longer of you look after them by lubricating when cutting and don't apply a lot of pressure whilst cutting/carving. :)

One more thing i should add about carving stone. Try and select a section with no fault lines/fractures/hairline cracks, as it is likely to break when you are half way through a job.

my dremel is a battery one so i should be ok with not electrocuting myself :)

i wouldnt want to hurt my dremel by getting it wet though

especially since its brand new my girlfriend got it for me for christmas :)

i got it for working with my bonsai's mainly for working with driftwood to clean it up before i stain it

thanks for the tips amz i'm definately gonna give this a go :)

can you recomend any other bits that are good for carving i assume you would just get diamond tipped engraving pieces

i live in a small town and theres no where to buy bits for my dremel i did find this site

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/

they have alot of bits for dremels on there and seem pretty cheap to

i think i might have to buy a bunch of pieces off there

@ myco, ...A flexible shaft is handy to add to the Dremel, that way you wont get the motor wet. But i try and get into the habit of removing the bit and the chuck, so it can dry out in between sessions, that will reduce rust. I use other Dremel bits that came in a set for wood carving, but for the hard stones, diamond tip is the go. I had a look at the link you provided. It looks like a great hobby shop. I go through a lot of bits and discs, so i have been buying cheap ones from eBay, But you really get what you pay for. Its good to have an assortment of bits, as you will find each one has a certain use. Just don't rush it. I have broken Dremel bits, and partly done jade pieces as i push my tools to the limit,,,,not good. Also....dont forget to wear some safety gear. I have ear muffs but i feel like i cant see properly when my hearing is dulled ( its like one of my senses are impaired and it then impairs another,lol), but absolutely ,,,,EYE PROTECTION!!!, cant stress that one enough. :)

Edited by Amazonian

yeh it seems like a good site they have almost everything you can get for a dremel by the looks of it

and the prices are pretty good

i was looking at those flexible shafts they look like they'd be very handy

thats a good point to they definatetely would be good for keeping the motor away from the water

i could see how you could break the stones and the dremel bits pretty easy to

and i'd definately be wearing some safety glasses :)

i can imagine it would be pretty easy to take an eye it with a flying piece of stone or broken dremel bit

im definately gonna get onto it and give it a go i have a few little bits i might be able to start having a little go with

i might just start trying today :)

thanks for your advice and help aswell as inspiring me to have a go at it :)

i cant wait to try make myself a little loph button that would be so cool :lol: