The Corroboree
Ethos

Grafting competition 2011/2012

So here we go

The competition will start 1st of November, and run until the first of July 2012

giving people time to get seeds and propagation stations ready.

For now this comp is only open to those who can legally grow lophophora cacti in their state of residence, and that can be any variety of lophophora.

Stock does not matter peres to column to echinopsis, one entry plant per member.

Seed does not have to be your own just sown by you or accquired by you, main thing is you are the one performing the graft.

Considering the competition runs for a year seed could be sown months after the start date.

Because of this I have made it not the first to flower but the shortest amount of time to flower, so when you submit your entry you must include the date your seed stock was sown and the date it first OPENED its flower.

Prize pool will build up as my ethno collection does, currently the prize is 150 LW seeds

November 1st comp begins, photos of any progress and final entries go in this thread

Edited by Evil Genius

I'm keen. We may need to find someone who we can buy some Peres from though as lots of people are looking for it at the moment.

I have three with grafts on them and three growing but as soon as it f@3ken warms up they should grow a bit more and I can propagate.

But everyone has columns and seedling, they know they want to graft

I was wondering when there would be another one I'm keen and I've got a bit of peres rooting out now but it'll be a few weeks before any of it has grown enough to do much with

here is a 1.5cm lophophora williamsii graft to peres seed was recieved by Yaguarete and the seed was sown 14th of July this year so only three months growth, next to a 2 cm lophophora caespitosa button on its own roots recieved from sharxx

post-7855-0-84176300-1318566600_thumb.jp

post-7855-0-84176300-1318566600_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-84176300-1318566600_thumb.jpg

It's a good idea but really requires extensive managing and planning to come off. You don't need stock categories people may change stock half way (from Pere to Columnar etc), you just need to see who can get the biggest loph in a certain time I.E 1 year and who gets the first one to flower regardless of stock etc. Less is more as far as categories is concerned.

Also Ethos if you want to start the comp you need to organise it, the mods aren't going to organise it for you.

I'm keen but my loph seeds are yet to germinate! Haha.

Peace

yeah as Hellonasty says you wont need stock catergories, but maybe scion ones. People use all types of stock, i for one will propbly use dragon fruit as a stock.

Check this link from the last grafting comp to get an idea how to go about it. But yeah im keen

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15718&hl=comp&st=0

It's a good idea but really requires extensive managing and planning to come off. You don't need stock categories people may change stock half way (from Pere to Columnar etc), you just need to see who can get the biggest loph in a certain time I.E 1 year and who gets the first one to flower regardless of stock etc. Less is more as far as categories is concerned

I agree and would be keen to have a go

The other thing worth thinking about is the people in the states were lophs might cause them problems with the law.

Maybe have a loph and trich categories

Just my two cents :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

Ah poop, I need a new flux capacitor for my time machine :(

• Like 1

You can't make the competition in the past ? It has to begin in the future I.E it starts on december 1 and everyone can sow their seeds anytime after this date.

It must be fair for everyone, not just the people who happened to sow seeds in June.

Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 1

That sounds good Ethos, I recommend editing the first post to update on the rules.

I'll get out my spare seed and prepare it. It's on boyzzz!

I just used 3 of my pere's about an hour ago :slap:

I'll get out my spare seed and prepare it. It's on boyzzz!

Bring it on. :lol:

Cheers

Got

First person to get a grafted lophophora cactus grown from their own seed to flower wins

Grown from their own seed means only those people who are already growing seed producing lophs can enter??

The 20 mates who just received 1000 seeds each cant enter because it's not their own seeds??:wink:

And why limit who can enter?

Are we not a global community?

No just as long as you have sown the seed, you could even get a seedling from a friend and graft it to your own stock

I had to edit all my posts as most of them made no sense but the rules are in the first post.

bring on the compition :lol:

Anyone got any cheap loph seed i have some germinated ones but i suppose they would have to be planted after comp starts. I can trade for cacti seed peres or some cash

Have you all got your seeds and trays lined up for sowing from next weekend. B)

Cheers

Got

I'm still waiting on 350 seeds in the mail :blink:

Yeah I'm still waiting on mine but they shouldn't be to far away. Anyone i offered them to should get them in time or maybe a couple of days late but that shouldn't make to much difference :)

I just got my first few to work two weeks ago so perfect timing for me :)

Game on !

nice nice.... a couple of weeks aint going to matter cactuscarl so long as ive got em to put down before 1st Dec

I recieved 300 Lophophora williamsii and 50 Lophophora williamsii caespitosa seeds today,

bought a ten pack of new blades,

Super glue just in case.

And I have 6 shoots of peres

3 days B)

My seeds rocked up today perfect timing getting all my take away containers and soil ready now :) wish my peres was a bit bigger :( ow well that's not going to stop me winning lol ;)

Good luck guys yous are gonna need it haha not really I've only ever had 3 take

Ps anyone i promised seed to they'll be in the post this arvo

Edited by cactuscarl

Good luck guys yous are gonna need it haha not really I've only ever had 3 take

I am in the same boat more bad than good :blink: Hopefully by the end of this comp my success rate will be higher than my fail rate

For me it’s going to be a numbers game I have 100 or so loph seed and a heap of pere ready to go

If I my pere stock can keep up I intend to put down and graft some trich crosses, Ariocarpus furfuraceus, Ariocarpus fissuratus and Aztekium seeds as well. With the amount of seeds I won’t to put down this spring I am going to have more take away containers than a chinese restaurant :P

You got to go hard or go home :lol:

Let the games begin ( tomorrow )

Cheers

Got

This came around so quickly. I have already prepared my magic ferts and I am ready to sow! Hoping for a good germ rate.

Good luck to everyone :)