The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gtarman

Anyone grown Mountain Blueberry or Bush Tomato?

There's a couple of native bushtucker plants I'm thinking of having a crack at but not sure if they'd do okay here in the subtropics? Just curious to know if anyone's grown them and how they go or if maybe they're not worth the trouble.

This one and this one.

Not sure about the Solanum in humid subtropical conditions, but the Billardieria should be fine....

Happy gardening...

• Like 1

ive grown solanum centrale (bush tomato) a lot.

i reckon they are fine with humid atmospheric, but dont like wet feet,

in fact prefer almost dry. Ants seem to be the pollinator.

if from seed, then smoke or smoke water to get any decent germination.

tuff as old fckn boots once up n going.

and keepm their toes dry for best fruit production too.

• Like 1

doesn't look like a delicious blueberry, bro

maybe a crappy lillypilly at best? :P

the seller makes constant mention of it's attractiveness (granted) and not a word about its nutritional or scrumptsational benefits. just mentions that they are an aboriginal bushfood ie there is fuck all worth eating on this continent and this berry passes as edible.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Billardieria will be fine in a humid atmosphere, it certainly did well when I grew it out doors over in the UK. Solanum centrale is a plant that is tricky to start from seed. I did get two plants from a lot of trial and error experimenting with smoke treatment. The plants are really tough but they like their roots kept dry with intermittent watering. One of mine flowered and fruited indoors back in the UK. I hand pollinated the flowers with a small paint brush.

Sadly I lost both plants to spider mites :uzi: little b%st#rds !!! :BANGHEAD2:

• Like 1

I've never heard of using smoke treatment for solanaceous plants - is that unusual to this species or have I just been missing the memos?

doesn't look like a delicious blueberry, bro

maybe a crappy lillypilly at best? :P

the seller makes constant mention of it's attractiveness (granted) and not a word about its nutritional or scrumptsational benefits. just mentions that they are an aboriginal bushfood ie there is fuck all worth eating on this continent and this berry passes as edible.

Now now, don't be dissin' what you ain't been tryin' :P

I've never heard of using smoke treatment for solanaceous plants - is that unusual to this species or have I just been missing the memos?

I think it might just be because this one is native to arid Australia, and so developed the same reproductive mechanisms as other smoke/fire-dependent species in the same ecosystem, like the Acacias and whatnot. But I could be wrong.

• Like 1