The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

today I received my order of 40 packets of cactus seed mix from germany!!! yaaay! was spensive,.... but this will keep me busy for many months.... sowing/repotting/grafting - only one psy-active spp in the mix - T.bridg.... which is sooo cool because I was just about to get them from somewhere else.

Hope I get a few spp that flower nicely out of it. (hoping that ferrocactus / echinocactus will do that for me)

Also hope to get some out of this that can deal with tropical rains/humidity.

• Like 2

spent the whole afternoon sowing! hopefully I can borrow Gf's camera to make pics. ( I dont think I ever posted pics) It's about time I share the love. ;-)

• Like 1

spent the whole afternoon sowing! hopefully I can borrow Gf's camera to make pics. ( I dont think I ever posted pics) It's about time I share the love. ;-)

I wish you plentiful seedlings!

I performed a few areole grafts from the famous ebay crested peruvianis onto pach. Will be interesting to see how they grow out.

I also grafted 20 unidentified trich seedlings and 20 LW seedlings, all onto peres.

(Including yesterday)

I mixed together some blood and bone and some old rose fertilizer (for the Potassium) as well as some trace elements and some potting mix in order to top-dress the plants, which I then did. Then I watered with some dilute liquid chemical salt fertilizer (i.e. dilute nitric acid, potassium sulfate (I think it was sulfate), etc). I'm trying out this new liquid fertilizer to see if it's any good. Then today, bought some Seasol, which I look forward to trying out in the future as well, also to see how well it works. It smells pretty bad, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. :)

Gave a few plants a miracle grow soaking last night, then came out this morning around midday and noticed that my seed grown scop had dropped two ribs! Right on! My 2x pach mid-sections are also starting to pup, and everything seems to be loving the heat now. Happy days.

Moved all my pots (mostly Bridgesii) out of the direct afternoon sun to somewhere a little less sunny. They were starting to go a little on the yellow side. Will see what happnes over the next week or so.

6617532677_c88e01f840_z.jpg

Edited by Mt.B
  • Like 2

post-4489-0-23769700-1321694117_thumb.jp

Lovin' the ingenuity of you and the plant with the slice on it's side (front middle blue pot)! Micro Log?

after work today I treated myself to some weeding. I did the worst of this T pachanoi patch. this is the 2nd summer in the ground for these plants.

2012-01-03181411.jpg

• Like 3

wow 2nd season :) nice wt

i tried making a brickwork snake once like that. it was more quadrangular than snakey!

then it fell over

lmao

wow 2nd season :) nice wt

i tried making a brickwork snake once like that. it was more quadrangular than snakey!

then it fell over

lmao

I moved into mine :)

• Like 1

Hatching plans to plant out some of my potted cacti...

Hatching plans to plant out some of my potted cacti...

I always read that Trichocereus prefered to live in the ground but figured they would do ok in pots if given enough water and nutes. it is only since I started putting them in the ground do I now appreciate just how true it is! even in a rented place, if you can, you will get so much more growth in the ground. The condition on this is that the ground is prepared before hand. I'm on a heavy clay block and found turning over the clay and adding a little organic material for drainage has worked well so far.

• Like 1

Just had a quick look at my emerging cacti seedlings! Very happy about the outcome so far! All on non sterilized course sharp sand in transparent plastic containers.

Just one of the plastic containers has some fungi growing.

I am amazed that the Matacuna's are actually germinating so well as they are pretty high altitude cacti.

I will start hardening off some of the seedlings pretty soon.

My Saguaro cactus that I recently bought had mealy bugs all over it so I got rid of them and will ensure they are gone before placing near other cacti, also it's starting to flower too =D. Also sowed many T. Bridgesii and L. Williamsi seeds into pots and watered my Echinocactus Ingens's (Blue Barrel cacti).

edited silly photo..

actually all i did toady was sit in pain not being able to walk after having a T. peruvianus spine stab an inch & a half into the back of my heal & the tip snapping off... should jave know better than to walk around with bare feet in a confined space with heaps of huge brutal cuttings

Edited by paradox

Water/fed some of the indoor ones with worm wee.

edited silly photo..

actually all i did toady was sit in pain not being able to walk after having a T. peruvianus spine stab an inch & a half into the back of my heal & the tip snapping off... should jave know better than to walk around with bare feet in a confined space with heaps of huge brutal cuttings

Make sure you get that spine out ! otherwise you'll end up with a septic infection and in hospital like i did !

well I received a nice T. bridgesii from blowng and planted him aswell as a T. macrogonus. also sowed my first mammillaria seed from my own plant :)

did 5 or 6 grafts today :D

Potted cuttings, put some seasol on established cuts, sowed seed (thanks again to all who donated!)

Noticed that a sideways cutting (don't usually do that but was rooyted that way when I got it) seems to have gotten burned quite badly in the last couple of days... is it common for sideways logs to burn?

Potted cuttings, put some seasol on established cuts, sowed seed (thanks again to all who donated!)

Noticed that a sideways cutting (don't usually do that but was rooyted that way when I got it) seems to have gotten burned quite badly in the last couple of days... is it common for sideways logs to burn?

All my horizontally planted loggeds have shrivelled and yellowed. But the pups boosting out of them couldn't be healthier.

Mind you mine have been in the harsh Adelaide sun on some intensely hot days.

But in my limited experience i think its pretty normal for this to occur. ( dont take my word as gospel though bro )

Edited by tipz

i have had quite a few bouts of sunburn this summer mainly on seedlings, tbm pups and bridgey pups . Shade cloth is too shady ,but i found a doubled layer of bird netting breaks up the intensity of the sun nicely. Chilli was the sunburn on that piece of lance log? It was in fullsun most of the day but i find changing the direction a cacti was facing the sun is going to be prone to burn,and new cuts recieved is almost impossible to tell which was the sunnyside. Also coming from a dark box to full sun straight off could be quite a shock to it, best to ease em out into the big bright world.

Ah thanks guys, you made me feel a bit better about it tipz! :)

Yeah blownG that's the one... I thought I had moved it pretty gradually in stages from box to inside bright room to outside undercover to bit of sun to lots of sun, but I probably went too fast, or yeah like you say it is just facing a different way. The others all seem fine, although the new growth on a tip of super pedro from gilligan is a bit burned too..

Mind you... I am used to growing trichs in Christchurch conditions and never grown cacti here before so I guess I underestimated that killer WA sun.. I

Sunburned myself this week for the first time in many years too!

Edited by chilli

I started the 1st of two pits to plant out some cacti into. This will be the smaller of the two. I'm thinking two cacti in this one. Enough room you reckon?

One will be a Bridgesii that is about 60cm the other I'm still trying to decide. It will be from the pack (#2) I got from P.D. I’m thinking a psycho0 x yowie or terscheckii x psycho0 or icaro peruvi... :unsure: Too many choices!

6683493845_a6b6fece1f_z.jpg

• Like 1