The Corroboree
The_Crack_Fox

Best music for psychic adventures.

I made some cool mixes a while back when I had some time, would love to share but don't know how...

would love to hear some whitewind

• Like 1

wow! I just listened to shpongle last night, the 2 albums ...ineffable, and inexpressible. Fucking amazing! I've never heard anything by turns so alluring, beautiful, introspective, psychaedelic and sometimes just downrightly hilarious! 10/10. Thanks for introducing me to them. "Unstoned" in particular just took my breath away.

Chnt, I've never heard Autechre, what's your recommendation for their best album to listen to? I like listening to albums rather than tracks. Keen to listen to them too.

• Like 1

Thelema, you should no listen to "Nothing lasts...But Nothing is Lost" however if youre a filthy music pirate the experience may be not so good. There's really only a few breaks on the album's continuity, but its listed as 20+ songs so you will get a lot of gaps between mp3 where there shouldnt be any silence. Which really kills the experience. Shame for the pirates, because its their best album.

I should remind people that Shpongle's albums can be purchased directly from their label in the UK for approx $12 AUD.

Edit : http://www.twistedmusic.com/shop/artists/shpongle.html

For new Shpongleheads, you may also like this guy:

http://www.phutureprimitive.com

Edited by Psylo Dread
  • Like 1

would love to hear some whitewind

would love to hear some Hawkwind

i dont really know your tastes apart from what you said about aphex, so it's hard to say really, both artists are very different from each other, plus their own work varies a lot...

maybe choose either confield, quaristice, or chiastic slide and see what you think... preferably just listen to their full body of work and go from there.

let me know how that goes too.

hmm, i probably wouldn't suggest confield to an autechre virgin, it's their least accessible imo (although the live recordings from that era are second to none). if the dude digs SAW then i'd go for LP5/EP7 or amber etc. also i have a special dislike for quarastice, severely let down after it was a release of mostly live material, and considerably less interesting. but then i haven't paid much attention after untilted.

hmm, i probably wouldn't suggest confield to an autechre virgin, it's their least accessible imo (although the live recordings from that era are second to none). if the dude digs SAW then i'd go for LP5/EP7 or amber etc. also i have a special dislike for quarastice, severely let down after it was a release of mostly live material, and considerably less interesting. but then i haven't paid much attention after untilted.

some good points there, for me personally confield immediately became one of my favourites back when i was an autechre virgin, but i'm just like that...

i also found that my hearing would attune to their sound over time so what i didnt like at first, i would love after 10-20 listens (over time, not listening to one track 10 times on repeat...), it may be just me, but i think it could be the same for others too, so maybe if you listened to quaristice once every few months or so you may find that it is actually a pretty awesome release, especially with the inclusion of disc 2 and the quadrange ep, they contain some of my favourite tracks.

the following releases (oversteps and move of ten) are good too, but with a very different style, many good times were spent in an altered state listening to these releases.

confield is a weird one, as far as their fans go, some love it, some dont, i think it's great and dont really understand how some fans dont appreciate it, but i thought that untilted was considered to be their least accessible... to this day i still dont understand fermium.

I could ramble a list, but most have been said.

My fav

Edit: Headphones on, loud.

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 1

Carbon Based Lifeforms

Fucking awesome deep bassy spacey music, nice and slow, can have it up loud and the neighbors can't complain cause it would put them to sleep. Really good for those nights with people where a conversation will span over the course of a few hours.

Spoonbill

This aint so much meditative stuff but for when a time comes for recreational use

I'd recommend listening to their first 3 albums instead of their 4th

If you want a nice meditative psytrance album i'd recommend Raja Ram's collaboration, Evolution Of Expanded Consciousness. The songs start off so slow... before you know it you're in the thick of it and can't remember any other way :P

OK I'm going to listen to amber tonight.

Oh, I forgot to mention, for something non electronic, Krishna Das, especially his 2nd CD of "Heart full of soul" is full of enchanting Kirtan call and response Indian chanting. VERY delicious especially on dissociatives, for some reason.

• Like 1

Anyone mention 1200 Micrograms yet.

:)

Anyone mention 1200 Micrograms yet.

No, because it sucks. Music intended for psychedelic experiences really doesnt need to mention drugs every few minutes throughout the album.

• Like 1

-Dead Can Dance.

-Morton Feldman's "Rothko Chapel".

-The addagiato from Mahler's 5th.

-Oregon, especially the early records.

-Ghazal's "The Rain".

I wouldn't dare go to hyperspace without the option of listening to at least one of the above. Especially the Feldman.

I know tool and rodrigus were mentioned but i think they deserve a second mention also a perfect circle have some very cool cruisey songs like blue

you can't go passed deep forest for something mellow they sample music and sounds from tribes and jungles all over the world remix them its awesome you feel like your sitting in a jungle

• Like 2

i had one of the greatest journeys of my life listening to troum's tjukurrpa trilogy

No, because it sucks. Music intended for psychedelic experiences really doesnt need to mention drugs every few minutes throughout the album.

Each to their own . It also depends on how deep the psychedelic experience is as to what music would be enjoyable....in my opinion anyway .

:)

• Like 1

yeah cactuscarl! deepforest, how could i have forgotten 'entheogenic world music'. IMO, first 2 albums are truely fantastic but after than im not too keen...

^^^ yeah some don't do it for me but the ones that do they take me to another world :-)

I forgot to mention two albums that I love to put on

The fight club soundtrack. HAS to be listened to in sequence with no pauses between tracks as the entire album flows together.

Mr. Bungle - Mr Bungle

This album is fucking awesome but... I can understand that some people may not be as amused by it as I am...

Mr Bungle scares me too much when I'm adventuring. In a normal state though, they're great.

Yesterday I listened to the album "Dead Cities" by Future Sound of London, which is one of my all time favourite albums for both normal and adventuring mind states. It's such an incredibly rich, textured, and varied piece of music. For me it really melds a tribal and futuristic atmosphere together and is a journey of sound.

I also like some of the other electronic choices mentioned before; Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre. Depending on the situation I also like Venetian Snares but it's very rare for me to listen to it while I'm in an enhanced state - too intense.

yeah i was reluctant to put v snares due to various reasons... some tracks i would say are definitely appropriate.

Yea, when Im only on a light journey I like to listen to Abba's Arrival album, followed by anything by Daryl Summers & Ozzy Ostrich. They raise some perplexing questions regarding chewing gum.

• Like 1