The Corroboree
Ethos

Grafting competition 2011/2012

I'd be down for that :)

Also wouldn't mind seeing what they look like now. Mine is still growing it's getting big but it's had a hard life... others would be bloody impressive by now :)

Sowed 3 lots of seeds (16/1), Scop x Pach, Pach x Bridgesii, Bridgesii x Pach. First time trying to germinate cacti so hopefully they work.

1) how long do Pere roots take to appear on a planted cutting?

2) how long before you do the graft should you stop watering Pere?

Need to get some Loph seeds:(

Edited by Gimli
  • Like 1

When grafting a seedling (pach, bridgesii) onto stock (Pere) what is a good method to keep it firmly attached so it takes?

Also, would you say it's wise to move inside as to not dry out the scion so quick?

^^ I've never secured any seedling grafts onto pere. Just be clean in ur workspace and cuts, cut fresh growth off the tip of pere and as long as the seedling isn't bigger in diameter than the stock, just lightly press it on making sure u slightly offset your placement. I then put under shade in a slight humid environment and with patience let them do their thing.

Watertrade has a great YouTube vid showing how simple it can be. Lol u just beat me WT

Edited by upside
  • Like 2

Hey watertrade,

Loved your video, quick and simple tutorial!

I put my pere into pots about 2 weeks ago, they are taking up water as there is new growth but they don't have roots yet.

Should I wait for roots before grafting or is the take up of water as is okay?

Thanks. I am super excited to graft soon :)

I think as long as the tips are looking healthy and are not dehydrated they should be ok to graft to. roots will come pretty quickly.

I have a question..

I've done a few grafts, crossed the vascular rings of the Pere and the scion and then put into a high humidity grow chamber.. the scion just seems to dry out and die..

All Pere is well watered and growing nicely. Scions all have 1 areole..

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Keeping the pere watered might be your problem.

I dry them out for 5 days beforehand otherwise a little bead of water just pushes up and either knocks the scion off or just makes a barrier between the two so they don't fuse and share nutrients. I also put vaseline around the graft junction (which is not easy to do) then they go into darkness for 3 days, then humidity for two weeks or untill the scion swells up. I stop watering 5 days before the graft and don't start watering till 10 days after the graft.

https://spinelove.wordpress.com/grafting-guide/

Here's my guide. It's kind of old and outdated. I need to update it.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I want to keep the pinned threads in the cactus forum up to date. Is this still an ongoing competition or can we unpin this and make a new one in case there will be another one in the future. The year in the title makes the thread look old, though there are new posts from 2015.