The Corroboree
coolname

cannabinoid hyperemesis

One of my best friends gets very sick atleast a few times per year, sometimes as often as every two or three months. He ends up in hospital and for years it was a mystery illness, but about a year ago a doctor told him it was cannabinoid hyperemesis. The silly bugger won't stop smoking weed though and ofcourse still gets sick. I wouldn't call him a stoner, he is more like a weed junky. A few times he would get out of hospital after a week of not smoking and go straight to someones house and try to scab some weed, even though by then the cravings would have gone away. I used to smoke way too much weed myself (atleast half an ounce per week) and alot of my friends still do, but none of us have ever had a problem like he does. His dad had the same problem for many years and it only went away when he finally stopped smoking. I'm not trying to say weed is bad, but i just want to start a discussion on cannabinoid hyperemesis. Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions or experiences with this condition? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post here.

Pretty sure I'm one of the lucky ones. Its covered in older threads.

It shouldn't be a problem to anyone who smokes a reasonable amount of weed. Only real bong-pigs get it.

• Like 2

I'm certainly no expert, but Wikipedia basically says you have to bong on for years before to get this... I won't be surprised if they find it's easier to get when smoking synthetics.

• Like 2

"Cannabinoid hyperemesis was first reported in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia."

Sourced from wikipedia.

It takes someone from SA to smoke so much pot they get sick :/

• Like 6

Pretty sure I'm one of the lucky ones. Its covered in older threads.

It shouldn't be a problem to anyone who smokes a reasonable amount of weed. Only real bong-pigs get it.

But the thing is, I used to smoke alot more than him, and know a fair few people who still do smoke alot more than he does who haven't had a problem with it. I guess he must be more sensitive to it or something

Look there seems to be some sort of research going on.

I've never heard of it, must be really rare or hard to pin down?

Does your friends symptoms go away after taking a hot shower?

Some people get cancer, other people get a different type of cancer. I wouldn't expect every person to respond to smoking weed the same way.

Still seems like a bit of a stretch to me though, i would be looking at the symptoms and circumstances that accompany smoking weed rather than the weed itself. It only affects certain people, who are they doing / what is happening when they get high? Not just in a sterile environment but in their natural environment. Weed is psychedelic and can bring on psychosomatic responses, I wouldn't think it's too much of a stress to think these responses to stimuli at home can carry through from the process of getting high to a laborical setting.

I don't know, i haven't read any studies, i'm no doctor i'm just a qualified drop out of nothing important with a fancy name.

• Like 4

Distracted yes I have done some research and apparently it is not very well known and has only recently been discovered. And yes he says that hot showers are the only thing that helps with his symptoms. the only way the doctors found out he smokes weed was because after about 15 admissions to hospital they decided to drug test him (he always lied and said he doesn't do drugs) but one doctor recognised his symptoms and put two and two together. I have read a few of your posts and you seem pretty intelligent by the way. Thanks for your input

I am intigued to know if its a particular chemotype group issue (?) as it appears to arisen in modern times.

If you mates old man had a similar response then maybe there is a possible genetic link.......

• Like 1

Yeah only affects bongpigs and only a small number at that. That's what the reports say and I can attest that I have known some bongpigs but they always have me a stupid look when I described the symptoms.

My case is slightly unusual in that I always knew it was caused by bongs. I attribute that to having quit weed a few times between long binges.

Good points raised by distracted

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

sounds like bs to me, what would a doctor know when we haven't been able to study cannabis?

scare tactics to persuade the dude to quit?

Pesticides and fertilizer research in this area will prove to be quite fruitful, as well as discerning the level of involvement played by mixing tobacco with cannabis.

I have a pet theory though that those who weren't breastfeed as a child have a greater propensity for cannabis use/abuse due to their lack of cannabinoid intake via breast milk during infancy. Conversely those that have an efficient endocannabinoid system need little to no THC before they essentially 'overdose' on it, leading to adverse reactions...

• Like 2

sounds like bs to me, what would a doctor know when we haven't been able to study cannabis?

scare tactics to persuade the dude to quit?

I thought it was a load of crap aswell, but now I don't think so. Like I said his dad had the same proplem for atleast 10 years and it only stopped when he finally quit smoking weed

How can it be a load of crap? Pot is considered a powerful anti emetic. A small portion of chronic potheads eventually experience debilitating emesis. Symptoms disappear with sobriety. Somebody associated it with the contents of the stomach remaining there too long instead of being pumped onwards.

I just don't understand what part of that is meant to be bullshit? Is this some kind of "pot couldn't possibly be bad, even in rare cases" sentiment?

• Like 1

Thunderideal sorry I meant to say that years ago at first I thought it was a load of crap before I knew anything about that sort of stuff. But ofcourse now I know it is true. I have seen it happen in front of me

I remember must of been about ten years ago now a guy i was working with his girlfriend at the time had a severe reaction to smoking a session of bongs. they were fairly heavy smokers at the time. She had really bad stomach cramps and uncontrollable shaking he ended up having to driving her to the hospital i cant recall exactly what the doctor said about it at the time. Not even sure why i remember it lol guess i thought it was interesting in terms of the reaction heh i never doubted the story and even chatted to her about it a few times i guess in hindsight it was probably cannabinoid hyperemesis.

i don't think so YT. it comes on gradually after years of bonging-on relentlessly all day every day (and even then, only for a small percentage of the aforementioned weed fiends). that's why according to reports most sufferers don't even correlate the condition with the drug.

i used to describe it as the sensation of cool stagnant water roughly at the bottom edge of the sternum, like your chest was a bong and the horrible manky bongwater was pooled on your diaphragm. maybe it was a bong-related condition and not cannibis hyperemesis, i only know that none of the bong-ripping, tar-hacking, smoke billowing people i hung out with suffered from it. we had waste-paper bins near the couch to spit in, and lumps of black resin mashed into the carpet, the tabletop, the shower tiles.. it had a kind of daily cycle where i vaguely appreciated being at work away from bongs while i worked through the miserable situation with mindfulness, it seemed to subside of an afternoon and more bongs seemed to help. i never associated hot showers with noteworthy relief from the symptoms but as much as it hurts my pride to say it, my intake wasn't comparable to that of a south australian.

coolname i was addressing CT who called bullshit but now i think he was calling bullshit to something more specific, not the very existence of the condition but the eventual diagnosis of your friend conveniently the moment he confessed to smoking.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

Thunderideal he never confessed to smoking weed, the doctors performed a drug test, then basically told him he is an idiot for not telling them when they asked him. And thanks for all your input man I appreciate it :)

indeed thunder, indeed.

and coolname, a drug test is not a diagnosis of an illness... thats just putting blame on something "illegal". with a healthy dose of "you should know better".

doctors don't know ALOT! but they will never admit it.

• Like 1

Admittedly, many people pretend to know more than they do. Even more the case with people in authority

Is this condition caused by people who vaporize often. I believe I know someone with this condition. The generally feel ill after waking in the morning unless the smoke. If they do not smoke they can end up having fits of cyclic vomiting. They believe they always had a weak stomach but they would only vomit if they had the flu now they feel nauseous when they don't smoke and they end up having fits of vomiting if they run dry. They also have ritualistic showering methods where they drink and herbal tea and smoke weed. They do virtually the same thing every day to avoid being ill and I can say without a doubt they were rarely sick before they started smoking weed. The condition seems to have developed after a considerable amount of time smoking but seemed to start around the time they started vaporizing. I can't give a definite amount of how much they smoke but they smoke before leaving to go anywhere and have to smoke when they get home or else they vomit. I am certain they even wake in the night to smoke.

I personally do not partake in such activities due to bad asthma but the aforementioned is someone I know somewhat well but not well enough to give you all the details such as how much they smoke.

it seems likely. the switch to vaping probably just means the weed "goes further", vaping can make it easier to ingest larger amounts.

you should advise your friend to look into the condition. i won't say see a practitioner because they aren't going to know any more than you can find on google.

if for whatever reason he chooses to continue smoking he may as well use a "vapor genie" or similar so he can easily dose without having to go home.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

C_T I never said that a positive drug test was a diagnosis of his illness. But it did finally confirm that he is suffering from this condition. And I agree that alot of doctors don't really know what they are talking about, but in this case they are 100% correct

Edited for bad spelling

Edited by coolname

The doctor seeing the aforementioned knows that they think they can convince the doctor to issue a prescription for said substance but the doctor won't and knows about the cannabinoid hyperemisis. I don't know the doctor or anything but I am sure he is treating it like when someone comes in trying to get any other narcotic. I did tell the individual about the condition and they dismissed it. They seem to have become more grandiose and more convinced they know everything since starting to vaporize all the time.

This is of much interest to me, Thanks very much for this thread. I have smoked cannabis for more than 22 years. with much ( about 17 years of that) being abusive use. I have not had any issues such as that. Whilst not ever the sort to vilify any plant, I do accept there is problems for some people with it's use. ( I still firmly believe that the greatest harm pertaining to it's use (or abuse) is it's legal ramifications). I have seen about 2 people in so many years (now 40yo) have a bad reaction to it (get realy angry and personality change greatly) however it's worth noting these people clearly have issues to begin with.

I do not for one moment wish to pretend that cannabis offers no threat to the mental health of a very limited number of our community. I used to use it far to much for recreation and medicine. though i have found that it offers me no real benifit if i dont smoke it everyday. Having no desire to smoke anything "everyday" it's use was stopped upon that finding. Having a form of Autism however makes it hard as after not smoking it for about 3 years due legal matter where i could not use it for 12 months they changed laws making valium (not great either) using no more than ten 5mg valium in any 12 month period no longer possible for me to obtain providing me no option. so finally i got some pot and can you believe it, got fined for it the next day on unrelated legal concerns i dont disagree with.

Nice of our government to to remove all options for me? I have tried all the common known options including valerian root, A material that offers all i need to be a productive and creative member of our community when i reach that "overload point". however, due to the fact that big pharm cant get patent on a plant, that make sure all "herbal medicines are made inefective" to keep the public view of original medicine being ineffective so to support the big pharms. I have tried the real, fresh Valerian root to great effect but cant seem to have any luck with germinating this plant yet..

I have no respect for doctors at all, they fail the first rule of medicine in their ignorance "first, do no harm". they couldnt help me with microlathiasis in 2 years of impossible to deal with pain, this horrid condition left me wanting to kill myself to avoid the pain. Once i realized i had to work it out for myself i had the problem licked in 2 week, TWO bloody weeks. the issue was poor dental hygine. they cannot fix aurthritis either. I fixed that too, in 45(edit, Minutes) by smoking a plant and asking for help.

Yes, thats right, western medicine it seems is that utterly useless! thank god i can sort my own issues out hey =P "thanks nature".

anyhow the point being, i still use it from time to time. however it is by no means suited to my current situation. I now smoke Bala on very rare occations to wonderful effect (it's very! similar to Hemp) I'm only saying this as i think it could help others. I have kept this a secret for so long now and wish it to stay that way as i dont want it to become just another "piss-taking" mass-marketed "high". but must think of my fellow people in need and just hope knowing nobody can ban this ever common plant. all three common SIDA plant have this effect.

anyhow, thanks for providing this important update on pot. Note- SA is full of allot of nutcases (i lived there for a year or two) asked locals why are there so many crazy people here? They said "years ago, they closed down allot of mental health facilities, basically just opening the doors".

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 3

Ghosty thanks for your input. Can you please tell me what bala is? Google doesn't have much info