The Corroboree
Uncle. S

The Surfing Thread

Surfing is one of my greatest passions. Big wave surfing in particular. There is nothing more exciting and god damn wetsuit browning than sitting out on your board on a big day and having half the ocean looming in towards you. I just got back from a surfing and fishing trip Warrora station in western australia. One day e were towing in on a outer bommie probably 1.5 km offshore on the ningaloo reef system. The swell was quite large, consistant 4 times head height waves and the wind howling offshore. We were out the back waiting for a wave, I was on the jetski and my brother was on the board 10 meters back at the end of the tow rope when a huge tiger shark pops up behind my brother and starts coming towards him. i saw it and yelled at him "shark" and started the jetski, turned around powered up to him so he could get on the back of the rescue sled. As i picked him up i saw the shark turn away and head the other direction. It looked about twice the jetski length so around 6 meters, big enough anyway to swallow a human whole. We went straight in and didnt surf that break again the whole trip. It was a damn scary experience

I hate spear fisherman with a passion...I wish the shark hadda eaten him...how fair is it for spearo's to dive in and start spearing fish for nothing but fun...injuring and maiming so many fish...bunch of wankers...blue groper have been on the endangered list for years because of idiot spear fisherman who hunted them into extinction...because they are a passive fish and swim the reefs slowly and are curious of humans fuckwit spear fisherman would plow their spear into thousands of them for no other reason than they could...they also think they are tough by spearing female flatheads that lay on the bottom when they are full of eggs thereby fucking up the whole breeding cycle...I HATE SPEAR FISHERMAN and they can all go get fuggered... :wave-finger:

H.

Tiger sharks are way more scary in my opinion than great whites, something to do with bleeding to death slowly as opposed to being instantly killed in an attack. Hunab Ku when i was in Fiji a couple of years ago the locals were trying to work out who the fuck speared a dolphin that was seen swimming around with the spear sticking out. The Japanese were rumoured to have paid top dollar to local guides to enable them to get a dolphin for sushi, I hope they found out who was responsible and kicked their asses.

i used to spearfish everyyear on the family hol to cronulla, around shark island.

Used to get a good feed of bream, flathead, sweep and trevaley. surely its more sporting than line fishing?

sorry back to the surfing.

A good of bream is fine and only if you take what you need and no more...so many greedy spearo's just killing big silver drummer and groper still...there was even a report of some drunken fuckwits spearing the Grey nurse sharks that hang out at seals rocks...I have seen and heard and read more horror stories about spear fisherman than any line fisherman...I've lived on the coast all my life pretty much and have blazing fist fights with the wankers...spearing seals, penguins, dolphins, sharks, blue groper, silver drummer, female Flathead and spearing millions of small reef fish or missing the shot and damaging coral and other delicate organisms...yeah they are quality people...there is nothing wrong with line or lure fishing ...the fish has a choice to take the bait or lure... a female Flathead basking in the warmth nurturing her eggs suddenly plowed through the head with 4 stainless steel prongs is not my idea of sport or a choice for the fish.

H.

...the fish has a choice to take the bait or lure...

its not like its an informed decision :P

i dont doubt that there are spear fishermen like that.

there are ethical spearfishermen from what i know as well, and if you look at it its probably alot more ethical than line fishing.

i.e u shoot the fish u want to eat, the fish doesnt suffer a long fight on a line or escape with hooks in its gob or guts.

sorry back to the surfing!

Ahh fuck it...no one is listening anyways..back to surfing then...

post-4860-1246789803_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1246789820_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1246789834_thumb.jpg

teahupoo_1.jpg

laird_hamilton_teahupoo.jpg

610x.jpg

teahupoo_1.jpg

laird_hamilton_teahupoo.jpg

610x.jpg

• Like 1

Ahh fuck it...no one is listening anyways..back to surfing then...

wow smashing skulls[or is it teahupoo].....i have actually drank beer with guys that have surfed this spot :lol:

some pics of a cold wet tow session in sw victoria a few weeks ago

post-2062-1246871223_thumb.jpg

post-2062-1246871258_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wicked section in that first pic...where is that...? Not Winkipop is it...?

Edited by blowng

we are talking north avoca beach here central coast.

I love Avoca, it's where I learnt to bodyboard and where I had my first big wave experience - monster 4m surf in january '94 (I think it was that year :wink: )

I found that my use of a certain plant worked against my surfing, but unfortunately it took me a long time to work it out. My fitness was always ok - I have freakish lung capacity, so smoking took me back to 'normal'. But when I started smoking billys I started to get The Fear when out in the surf (then in more normal situations, very bad) . That really killed it for me. After giving up the green I've been back into surfing this year and have been taking advantage of the cold keeping the crowds away - most Newie people are such pussies about the cold.

I don't have any photo's of me on a wave, 'cause I'm the one with the camera but I've got to throw a few pics up anyway.

post-25-1246875655_thumb.jpg

Unknown biting it in fun Nobby's shore-break.

post-25-1246876106_thumb.jpg

Quiet morning at Hole in the Wall.

s1.JPG

HN1.JPG

s1.JPG

HN1.JPG

JAWS....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^Billabong big ride nominees 2008

^^^^^^ Shipsterns in Tassie.

^^^^^Biggest waves ever surfed in Australia...nice.

Edited by Hunab Ku

surfing in the caribbean mates! not allot of good waves where I'm located,... but every now and then when swell filters through the upper carib island chain, or hurricane (cyclones) or tropical storms move through the carib sea........... we get some good long gnarly peeling wrap around spots.

wind waves most of the year......... mushy....... powerless....... waist high to head high....... 7 to 8 sec period........... sideshore to onshore.......... short rides....

but.......... it's always fun!!!

when it gets reasoably good...... this is what it looks like

it's a spot in the southern caribbean somewhere in the ABC islands. that day was march 19th 2008. Biggest swell to hit puerto rico in a few years. that same swell penetrated the carib island chain to give us nice long 100 mtr rides. doesnt get much better that often.

Edited by woof woof woof

ive heard good reports about rottnest island any of you WA guys surfed over there ?.....

yeah rotto is sic.. rotto box, chickens and strickos are the well know breaks

hugs cathedrals

Edited by Bush_Turkey

i like bodysurfing and i think everybody swimming in oz ought to know how to body surf, because it's the only way how one can beat a rip if you are a swimmer.

one day at alexandria beach near noosa (no life guard), i see a guy rise his hand and he sure was in trouble, somebody in the surf swam towards him and tried to help him, but i saw he had little success in doing so.

so i swam out and yes a there was quite a rip, but it was not fast as a highway.

the guy already helping the panic striken swimmer, started swimming towards the shore once i arrived, but i showed him with a hand sign not to do so, as this time i had the experience!

i made us just to wait in the surf till a wave would just facilitate us to get a few meters closer to the beach.

it was not easy trying to sort of body surfe a wave towing a quite over weight person, but it worked.

we conserved our energies but everytime there was a bit of achance to have a little ride, we tried to take it.

after a while we arrived at the beach, i must have been under shock aswell as i just ran off, giving that guy not even a chance to say thank you.

one single time i saw a shark whilst snorkling in costa rica, and although the shark had obviously no intention of harming me, it was very, very scary to suddenly see such a big animal comming towards you.

one of my best ever experiences ever (sorry for the tiny sidetrack) was to go tandem paragliding and to watch shools of sharks.

guys i just love nature. :)

from above, having a feeding frenzy in the surf underneath.

:scratchhead: Not many waves inland , done a lil bonnet surfing across saltbush behind the back of a tc cortina & valient safari wagon :bong:

A different kind of huge wave...^^^^ these guys are nuts man big time.

H.

Wipeouts in big surf...the best of....

thanks for those posts, Hunab ku ! I love surf...but i never tried it...wich is weird since i'm a sea lover...

Surfing the amazon river on the POROROCA,..........LIKE TO ONE DAY, BUT I WORRY ABOUT THOSE VAMPIRE FISH THAT SWIM UP PEEHOLES

Edited by blowng

^Good call Yeti. Lid riders represent :P

Surfing the amazon river on the POROROCA.......................... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_2g6uTD60

link doesn't work..^^^^^

That you tube link Yeti of the wedge in US reminds me of Forster breakwall when I was a teenager...exact same sort of waves and we used to body surf them every afternoon after school in summer, sometimes they were just 10 foot shrore break peaks...literally take off and get smashed into the sand on the shore...it was the coolest fun on a ride that lasted about 5 secs...we used to get seriously pummeled and have the worse sand grazes afterwards...we started making hand sleds out of wood in wood working class, they had a strap that went over your fingers and a small fin...two hands clasping at the sled and kick hard with your feet and drop like a bag of lead into some horrendous barrels and then get spat onto the shore...fun fun fun.

H.